Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Many Starters?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Gibson has to be in the rotation from the start. I don't completely understand the negativity I've seen people have towards him when we talk about SSS all the time.
    Okay, I'm an old fart - almost 60. What the hell is SSS. Every time someone uses it, I'm confused. I always knew it as Shave, Sh-t and Shower, but that makes no sense. Thanks from the older generation.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having 11 starting pitchers on the 40-man isn't a problem. As the tread points out, there's no need to keep them all, and most of them will start the season in AAA. Guys like Worley who will be out of options will cause the Twins to make some tough decisions if they get called up and can't perform. But if they can't perform, and they haven't performed before, exposing them to waivers isn't a bad thing, not for the organization and definitely not for the player.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 162 Times in 103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley has a strong enough track record in the NL. He would not pass through waivers. Diamond probably wouldn't either given he is left handed. They both need to be on the 25 man roster next April.

Looking at 2013, it is reasonable to think let them go. However, they both have had success and one or the other is likely to have success again. They both have several years of control left. As the Twins add to the staff this winter it is critical it is guys like Garza that can be seen as a number 2 or young enough like Hughes to have some upside. They need to avoid their usual bargain bin additions. Developing someone in house with service time will have much more value long term.

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SSS=small sample size. It's a term from statistics that lets the reader know that the slice of information isn't large enough to extrapolate much meaningful information.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crapforks View Post
    SSS=small sample size. It's a term from statistics that lets the reader know that the slice of information isn't large enough to extrapolate much meaningful information.
    Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12