Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hicks

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts

Aaron Hicks

Hicks was the Twins 1st round pick in 2008, #14 overall. 6'2", 185 lbs, he's a toolsy OF whose stock had slipped the last few years. Baseball America ranked him # 39, 19 and 45 the first three years but didn't rank him in their top 100 after a somewhat disappointing 2011 season. BA still ranked him the Twins 4th best prospect. MLB's Jonathan Mayo was a bit higher on him, ranking him #72.

So far, his 2012 season has been very promising. Currently, he's hitting .276/.362/.534 with 4 doubles, 1 triple and 3 HR at AA. He has a respectable 9BB/15K and his defense is strong. He's always had some split problems, he's better against lefties, but he's showing improvement early this season against right handed pitchers. Two of his HR's came hitting left-handed and his patience at the plate has allowed him to get enough walks to erase the difference in BA between the two sides. It's early but Hicks might have the best combination of tools within the organization. If he posts a nearly .900 OPS at AA this season, he should fly back up the prospect rankings and give the Twins another ML ready OFer.

Senior Member All-Star
    John Sickels at minorleagueball took a question about Hicks today:

Q: Do you think this could be the year for him? Seems strange that a jump to AA could be the catalyst to a breakout. If he continues his early season success where do you think he’d rank overall in terms of prospects?

A: it's a little early to conclude that, any sort of slump will push his SLG back down
    The tools have always been here, and unlike some guys who struggle, he’s always made an effort to control the zone. I would say there is reason for cautious optimism, but I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions

Senior Member All-Star
    Hicks has cooled a bit, now hitting .260/.342/.433 and has added one HR since the last update. He continues to struggle against righties but has respectable isolate power and on-base skills against them. His krate and walk rates have both moved in the wrong direction but his power has also gone up so it's possible he's taking better hacks in hitters count, instead of passively taking walks. But it's still early, of course.

Liked 718 Times in 381 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Hicks can't make it as a hitter, would it be worth trying him as a pitcher? He threw 94 mph in high school, and he is older and possibly stronger now.

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    If Hicks can't make it as a hitter, would it be worth trying him as a pitcher? He threw 94 mph in high school, and he is older and possibly stronger now.
    Maybe - if I remember right, many teams looked at him as a better prospect as a pitcher prior to the draft, but he preferred OF. I think he's going to make it as a hitter.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's hitting .278/.355/.444 with four doubles and four homers in his first four weeks of AA... That's pretty impressive!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Thanks for giving us die-hards something positive. It really looked like Hicks was a bust but now I'm starting to believe. What is wrong with Joe Benson and Liam Hendriks??

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to make too much about the numbers of Twins hitters in Beloit or Ft. Myers... for whatever reason, offensive numbers don't happen at those levels.

Benson's struggling. He just needs to go on a streak. DOnt' give up on him quite yet. Nothing wrong with Hendriks. He was a level ahead of where he should have been (as is Parmelee). I expect Hendriks to take a couple of starts in Rochester to re-find himself and he'll be find again.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    I'd hate to give up on Hicks' offense possibility. Sure, he hasn't broken out yet but he's only 22. (He went 3-4 tonight with 2 stolen bases). He just needs at-bats. Some guys it'll take longer with but Hicks has a wonderful eye at the plate, which is usually the hardest thing to learn. Hunter and Span, our last two HS CF prospects were hitting worse at AA their age 22 seasons. Eventually, Hicks will get there (I hope).

Senior Member All-Star
    Well, might as well update this again. Sadly, Hicks has struggled the last few weeks and has dropped to .248/.327/.414 on the season. He continues to struggle against righties, although nearly all his walks come batting lefthanded. On the plus side, he went 3 for his last 7, with his 5th HR and his 7th double (he hit 5 HR all of last year).

On the plus side, he's 10 for 13 in SB (4th in the EL). His isolated power and isolated walk (for lack of a better term) are good enough if his avg was just a little higher. I have no idea if he should give up trying to switch hit or if it'll just take more time for him to get there. In any event, he needs at bats. And, at the risk of sounding repetitive, it's worth remembering he's only 1 of 15 hitters in the EL that are 22 or younger (he's 7th in OPS of those 15).

His progress is worth remembering when trying to guess how fast potential draft pick Buxton would fare. Buxton is a slightly better prospect coming out of high school but not that much better. Hicks was the 14th overall pick in a pretty loaded draft. Buxton might go #2 in a significantly weaker draft.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was just looking at a 2008 mock draft by Kevin Goldstein. In his little write-up about him he said that most teams liked him more as a pitcher than a player but he preferred to be an everyday hitter. I am just wondering did the Twins want him as a pitcher when drafting him and give-in to what he wanted or did they feel he was better as an everyday player? You have to wonder how he would be doing as a pitcher.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Atlanta's Brandon Beachy was a third baseman converted to pitcher. Aaron Hicks might be able to do the same thing, for the same reason: His arm has relatively low mileage, and with professional coaching, they could make sure he doesn't wreck his arm throwing curves incorrectly. Take a guy as athletic as Hicks and teach him the right way to pitch, you might just have yourself a star.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PMKI View Post
    I was just looking at a 2008 mock draft by Kevin Goldstein. In his little write-up about him he said that most teams liked him more as a pitcher than a player but he preferred to be an everyday hitter. I am just wondering did the Twins want him as a pitcher when drafting him and give-in to what he wanted or did they feel he was better as an everyday player? You have to wonder how he would be doing as a pitcher.
    a lot of teams liked him as a pitcher, but the Twins liked him as a 5-tool outfielder. He may have gone earlier, but he let it be known that he did not want to pitchre.

Senior Member All-Star
    Hicks avg hasn't moved much the last few weeks although his OBP went up a little. He's now hitting .247/.347/.395 (the EL is hitting .256/.327/.378). He's added his 8th double and 6th home run but that's been it in extra base hits since 5/20. He's 15 for 20 on stolen bases (4th in the EL) and his walks have crept up and he now has 31 walks against 49 strike outs (he leads the EL in walks). His struggles batting left handed are continuing. I'm not sure how much longer the Twins should let him switch hit. Obviously, if he can do it, that's great but right now he's great against lefties (.866 OPS) and bad against righties (.692). I'm not sure if just making him hit right handed all the time would make him better against righties or not but it's got to be getting close to the point of trying it, I would think.

Generally, it's good to remember he's still just 22 and, as boring as it is, he probably just needs more time. Obviously, a lot of people are going to compare Hicks and Buxton as they both have the potential same tools although Buxton was (according to scouts) slightly more advanced than Hicks when drafted.

Here's an article about him from a few days ago: http://busleaguesbaseball.com/2012/0...o-minneapolis/

What's up with Aaron? He hasn't played in about a week and can't find any information anywhere? Seth where are you!? hahaha

Hicks is injured. I will try to find out more. Not in the lineup tonight.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Hicks is out with a sprained ankle.

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Fan From Afar View Post
    Hicks is injured. I will try to find out more. Not in the lineup tonight.
    Yeah he hasn't been in the lineup since the 8th or 9th... I've been listening to the Rock Cats game while at work and they didn't mention him when they did their injury report... hmmm

Senior Member All-Star
    Not a lot to report on Hicks. He missed 10 days with an injury but has played in the last three, going 4-13 w/a double and a triple. His stat line is still pretty much the same .248/.340/.378 with those that double and triple being the only new extra base hits since the last write-up.

A solid 8 game stretch for Hicks since coming back from the ankle injury on the 19th.
    11/33 1 double 2 triples 1HR 4rbi 8k 3bb 1/2SBs for a .333/.378/.576 line.

Overall .298/.389/.468 in 14gms this month w/1double 2triples HR 5RBi 10k 7bb 1/4SBs

Now hitting .239/.344/.393 as a lefty w/ 163ABs 4HR 23RBI 46K 28bb......not horrendous.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast