Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins To Sign Phil Hughes

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2 pitchers for 20 million per season. That brings us close to 79 million for next season. They still plan on signing a Catcher and it looks like they are getting closer to AJ Pierzinski signing. I am guessing he'll get a 1 or 2 year deal in the 7-9 million per season range. There is still talk of signing Pelfry and if all of that happens I may have to fly out to Minnesota and buy some tickets to games this year to financially support this type of spending behavior. (Yes I know my 100 in ticket sales plus concessions won't pay the contracts but its more than I spent the last 10 years In Minnesota).

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Let's hope that the twins penchant for low risk moves pays off here. Whether or not these signings work out, it was hard to imagine the Twins spending 75 mil this offseason.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    3 years worth it? IDK. People who wanted JR. to gamble must be happy. Thats about 20 mil a year for 2 pitchers. Salty for 10 a year would be pretty awesome and I would bet make the total still under 100 (96 off the top of my head).

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Dang, I'm not in love with either Nolasco or Hughes but I like the signings. Until other pitchers sign we really won't be able to fully judge these signings. If they could have gotten Garza and Kazmir for similar money I don't know, I'll be a bit disappointed but not devastated. We've talked ad nauseum about Hughes potential in Target Field and just a change of scenery in general. These guys together take up only 20 million per year for the next 3. Assuming we're done with starters from this point and will likely only sign short term deals on any position players I like how this sets us up for future FA spending if needed.

Next year a lot of big names could be hitting FA including Scherzer, Homer Bailey, Kershaw (gonna re up though, Shields, Masterson, and Lester. Not to mention some guys with options like Gallardo, Morrow, Brett Anderson, Cueto, and Bllingsley all having options next year. Could be some nice names to spend on next year. If the twins show enough improvement and some of the young prospects start to pan out, Minnesota could suddenly become a nice destination.
    Correia will be off the books after 2014 so they "could" add someone to replace him.
    1. Nolasco
    2. Hughes
    3. * Sign Scott Kasmir *
    4. Correia
    5. Gibson
    That could actually be a nice rotation. Flush all your AAAA scrubs away. In 2 years they can all play for the St Paul Saints.

Good signing. It may not be what everybody was hoping for, but it definitely is an upgrade over what the Twins had last year. Which is what was needed. I don't expect a jump from worst rotation to best in one year. This could be a good interim step towards that goal.
    I would like to see one more starter signed, preferably to a two year deal. It would then set up the rotation to be able to be "refreshed" each year with an opening to be filled either through free agency or from the minors. The young players will then have the time to develop at their own pace at Rochester without being rushed to the major league level. The last open spot should be left for last year's starters to EARN in spring training. Let them push each other and the vets for a spot in the rotation. If the young pitchers push a vet out of the rotation, so be it.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    ok Now that the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation are filled who do we run out 1-3?
    Just kidding (kinda) Kudos Terry you had a plan and went for it...good for you .
    The big question now is who comes off the 40 man roster and will you be trying to trade some players?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Omg! Omg! Omg! Omg! This is a perfect signing!!!!!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Hughes 3/25>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>arroyo on ANY 2 or 3 year deal.

9. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

halfchest (11-30-2013), Tibs (12-01-2013)

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the signing though I am a believer in Deduno if he is healthy for the 5th starter making the rotation for next season

Nolasco
    Hughes
    Corriea
    Dedunno
    Gibson and others

Though how likely is it that either Deduno or Hughes miss time for injuries? and We can always trade Corriea from a position of strength during the season if Gibson and or Meyer look to be ready. So signing 1 more pitcher is an option except Worely and Diamond are likely to be lost as they are out of options (though Diamond might be able to stay if they nontender Deunsing to save a buck or 2 and pitch in the pen) Also if they sign Pelfry and AJ Pierzinski then our payroll will likely be just over 90 million next year. We need to go buy some tickets and support that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is awesome. We still dont have a number one pitcher but this definitely makes our rotation a little more respectable. Just what I wanted 3 years for 24 million is a pretty nice contract especially if he flames out. Way better than having Arroyo for 3 years 30 million. I honestly dont think Arroyo gets even close to the contract he wants anymore and maybe, just maybe the Twins could get him at a better rate.

Liked 668 Times in 430 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was not a Hughes fan but I am now.

The FA arms available were what they were. TR just jumped up grabbed two of the best choices.

It's great. At the very least... New blood in the clubhouse. The old blood wasn't doing so well.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His strikeout
    rate is mediocre (7.6 K/9 for his career)

For a starter that's definitely not mediocre in my book. I actually think that's above average.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also lets not forget how bad AJ Burnett was when he played for the Yankees. Some people just cant handle playing in New York for whatever reason, whether it be the homer friendly park or all the pressure of playing in the BIG Apple. Lets hope Hughes can turn his career around like Burnett have been able to.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    I'm happy with both moves. Only time will tell if they were the right choices, but I agree with being shocked at TR shelling out $73 million. I wouldn't mind a low-risk 3rd pitcher. Johan perhaps. Maybe Pelfrey, though I'm not that excited to give him 2 years.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Surprised by the 3 year commitment like the AAV for sure. With the Twins current and foreseeable payroll this is fine though. Could really capitalize on Hughes if he gets it going in Minnesota. Worst case he doesn't pan out and you can convert him to a reliever where he's been successful in the past. Expensive for a reliever but could still show value there. That's a worst case scenario though. I'm gonna hope for 3 years of around a 4.00 ERA

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can all make fun of me if you'd like, but I'm excited to see what Rick Anderson can do with Hughes. He throws a flat fastball and needs to work low in the zone to avoid home runs. Plus, he could really benefit from a third pitch - changeup perhaps? Maybe Anderson and Hughes can save their careers together!

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    You can all make fun of me if you'd like, but I'm excited to see what Rick Anderson can do with Hughes. He throws a flat fastball and needs to work low in the zone to avoid home runs. Plus, he could really benefit from a third pitch - changeup perhaps? Maybe Anderson and Hughes can save their careers together!
    Um we alredy do , this is just icing on the cake ...

19. These 3 users like johnnydakota's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (12-01-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-01-2013), Tibs (12-01-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Now the real question , who gets DFAd or who gets traded?

"But there are several caveats to those numbers that made Hughes to other teams, including the Royals, Marlins and Mets. "

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Shelling out $73MM?? Last season the payroll started at nearly $83MM for the entire season. It's not like the Twins are spending like the government.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast