Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Holy hell I have to eat my words.

3. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (12-01-2013)

JR? Jeremy Roenick?

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    3 years worth it? IDK. People who wanted JR. to gamble must be happy. Thats about 20 mil a year for 2 pitchers. Salty for 10 a year would be pretty awesome and I would bet make the total still under 100 (96 off the top of my head).

We're laughing with him not at him!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Um we alredy do , this is just icing on the cake ...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Holy hell I have to eat my words.
    Most of us do....Most of us do.

7. This user likes AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-01-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This $8 million per year makes me calm down about Nolasco's $12 million per year. Getting these two for $20 million per year works out pretty well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    I don't like the years but I love the aggressiveness. Well done.

It wouldn't take much in the first year for the $8 million per year to look good either.

Last year the Cubs overpaid for back end free agent pitchers. Perhaps Ryan is going to now cause every other team to over pay in years for mid to back of the rotation arms.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Sources say AJ is next. Who am I going to boo now? My question is…will you still boo AJ even if he is a Twin?

Why are so many people not happy with this signing? Look deeper than W-L and ERA folks.

He had a FIP of 4.50, while which wasn't good, but was almost a run lower than his ERA.

He also performed MUCH, MUCH better outside the bandbox that is Yankee stadium. Let's not forget the division he pitched in.

Home: 6.32 ERA, 22 2B, 17 HR
    Road: 3.88 ERA, 16 2B, 7 HR

Move him to Target Field with a better defensive team, I love this signing. I like it more than Nolasco even.

Boo Proof Plan

Sources say AJ is next. Who am I going to boo now? My question is…will you still boo AJ even if he is a Twin?
    This is a boo proof plan. You sign AJ and no one will ever boo Joe again!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For 1 year ? I'd have rather had AJ Burnett.

for 3 years ? Well thats easy PHIL HUGHES! -- over Burnett, Arroyo, Garza, Santana all of 'em i guess.

But 2 years for $ 15, 16 Million would of been about perfect.

Look at it this way:

the Twins are Paying P. Hughes 24 Million to make 90-93 starts for them essentially right?

well I think EVEN the Twins know, they'd be Thrilled, happy; If Hughes made 65-68 starts for them with maybe a few relief apperances in there in the next 3 years.

I think he'll make about 45-50 starts and about 15-20+ relief appearances between 2014-2016.

With something like a 7.8 K per 9 , 3.0 BB per 9 , 3.95 XFip , 4.15 ERA , and 1.5 HR per 9 or about 22-25 HRS given up a season.

* Hughes averages about 92.0 MPH on his Fastball !!!! Perk and Tonkin the Tank can only top that. (untill Meyer, Berrios, May)
    * Hopefully his other Fastball is a Mariano like Cutter and not a two-seamer....
    * Hughes has a mid 70's curve-ball , a low 80's slider , a mid 80's change up too !!!
    5 pitch pitcher
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 205 Times in 115 Posts
    Interesting exchange between to statistical analytic types (note: Law thinks the deal is excessive):

Hughes had a 5.19 ERA (-0.7 rWAR) this year, 4.85 ERA over the last 3 years. In 2 of the last 3 years, his value has been below replacement level. Why guarantee $24M/3 years to a guy like that, on the slight chance that a change of scene will cure him?

Last winter, everyone was so pissed about Correia's $10/2 deal. This year, Ryan is throwing even bigger deals at below-average pitchers, and most everyone seems thrilled to see him spend the money. On guys who are not really GOOD, but NEVER MIND! I don't get it.

16. This user likes frightwig's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oxtung (12-01-2013)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 165 Times in 97 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In most cases, a 3-year deal for a mediocre pitcher seems like a win for the pitcher, and it is. But in this case, which so much being bet on improvement and so muc room for upside, I think it might end up being a win for the Twins. I wouldn't be shocked if by the end of 2015, Hughes isn't wishing he was hitting the free agent market as a 29-year-old.

Quote Originally Posted by frightwig View Post
    Hughes had a 5.19 ERA (-0.7 rWAR) this year, 4.85 ERA over the last 3 years. In 2 of the last 3 years, his value has been below replacement level. Why guarantee $24M/3 years to a guy like that, on the slight chance that a change of scene will cure him?

Last winter, everyone was so pissed about Correia's $10/2 deal. This year, Ryan is throwing even bigger deals at below-average pitchers, and most everyone seems thrilled to see him spend the money. On guys who are not really GOOD, but NEVER MIND! I don't get it.
    The difference to me is that Correia basically pitched to his ceiling last year for the money we gave him - which is a #5 innings eater type in a respectable rotation. $5 million is a lot to pay for a guy who is essentially a replacement level pitcher, which we can get for $500K (see Albers, Andrew; Diamond, Scott), and guaranteeing it for 2 years seemed asinine to me at the time and still does today.

Hughes, on the other hand, has the stuff and peripherals of a #3 pitcher if he pulls it all together. $8 million per year is a steal if he pitches to that level (Remember, we just gave $12 million per year to Nolasco, who many view as a #4 in a decent rotation, and most agree got basically a market-value contract.) And while there is risk in the contract, Hughes floor (if healthy) is probably a decent relief pitcher. None of us want to pay $8 million per year to a non-closer in the bullpen, but many of the other pitchers on the market have a lot lower floors than that.

So yes, in general I do feel better about the Hughes deal than I did (and do) feel about the Correia deal.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I never understood why Twins fans booed AJ in the first place. He didn't demand to leave like C. Knoblauch, for instance, he was traded away. The booers just seemed uninformed to me.

Liked 143 Times in 90 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    I never understood why Twins fans booed AJ in the first place. He didn't demand to leave like C. Knoblauch, for instance, he was traded away. The booers just seemed uninformed to me.
    The booing comes from all kinds of bad mouthing he did about the Twins organization after they traded him. At least that is what I recall. It was so long ago, I don't even remember why I boo him. It just is tradition at this point.

As for Hughes, I really like the price. The years are a bit of a gamble, but let's hope that Hughes just needed a change of scenery to really unlock that potential.

Now the important question, do you think Gardy is going to call him Hughesy, Huey, or just Philly?
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Quote Originally Posted by frightwig View Post
    Hughes
    had a 5.19 ERA (-0.7 rWAR) this year, 4.85 ERA over the last 3 years. In 2 of the last 3 years, his value has been below replacement level. Why guarantee $24M/3 years to a guy like that, on the slight chance that a change of scene will cure him?

I applaud them for finally spending money that in years past has gone in their pockets. The only pitcher better than hughes or nolasco is garza. They're not dumpster diving.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Depends how his hitting and defense is....=)

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapTheNickname View Post
    They're the same ones booing jeter.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast