Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Article: Twins To Sign Phil Hughes

Thoughts on Gibson, Wimmers, Logan, Meyer,.....All successful pitchers so where is the timeline....I think Twins are just patching the holes in the dam....Really need to develop Draft picks and get them experience ASAP and set a solid future for the twins....Put Hendricks in this mix also....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Hughes 3/25>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>arroyo on ANY 2 or 3 year deal.
    Totally Agree!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    There are all sorts of factors involved in how players perform better or worse in some places and not others. See Burnett and Florida-NY-Pittsburgh.

Also, I don't want to sound like some rube, but I wonder if Hughes was looking for a place like MN to get away from NYC, given his devout Christianity (also of note about this is Kyle Gibson's piety, and maybe this will be a good bond for these two young, promising pitchers?).
    Interesting take. Didn't know that stuff. Could have been/be a factor. You hear little things like where one's wife wants to live to being able to 'get away' (hunting/fishing) etc being deciding factors for athletes.

I know I moved to Texas over Chicago and either of the Coasts because it had the higher number of sunny days, was more spread out, church possibilities, and no state income taxes.

NY state and just living in the big city are giant hikes compared to Twin Cities as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Interesting exchange between to statistical analytic types (note: Law thinks the deal is excessive):

Great share. Thanks.

What was the MLB average BABIP & HR/FB% over those years?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I read somewhere that the MLB average for BABIP is around .300. As for HR/FB, haven't heard, but it is a stat that correlates very closely to park effects. Right handers have a high HR/FB ratio in Yankee Stadium, where mere fly balls end up over the fence at an alarming rate. Target Field is the opposite, to RF anyway. That is why his ERA is almost a point lower away from Yankee Stadium.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure what to think abouyt Phil Hughes. At his best he's a solid #3 starter but from what we see most of the time he's a good 5th starter or maybe a 4th. Might be a good rotation depth move and perhaps he can do well in a park like Target Field.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the bullpen keeps their 3.5 ERA and Nolasco and Hughes pitch well I could see some optimism. Even signing Arroyo won't overcome the Tigers.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTwinky View Post
    They aren't really planning to keep Florimon as the starting SS, are they?
    The 2.1 WAR SS? Yes, they will undoubtedly keep him. He's one of the last position players I'm worried about. Let's improve the outfield first. Hicks and Arcia need to step up. Hammer needs to return to decent and we might need to sign a guy like Corey Hart to avoid this becoming a mess for the next two years.

9. This user likes YourHouseIsMyHouse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (12-03-2013)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567