Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Rosenthal: Navarro to sign with Blue Jays

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rosenthal: Navarro to sign with Blue Jays

Ken Rosenthal tweeted this morning that free agent catcher Dionner Navarro appears headed north of the border, to the Blue Jays, on a 2 year, $8 million deal.

The Twins were certainly interested in him. AJ Pierzynski and Jarrod Saltalamacchia are the other two names the Twins have been associated with this offseason.

With the Navarro signing, it would appear that JP Arrencibia is now available.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd give Salty two years. I wouldn't give AJ or Navarro more than one.

If it takes three years to get Salty and two years to get AJ, patch together a Doumit/Pinto platoon and cross your fingers.

If Pinto falls on his face, reevaluate for 2015.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'd give Salty two years. I wouldn't give AJ or Navarro more than one.

If it takes three years to get Salty and two years to get AJ, patch together a Doumit/Pinto platoon and cross your fingers.

If Pinto falls on his face, reevaluate for 2015.
    I mostly agree with this, with the exception that I don't want anything to do with AJ. I'd have given Navarro a one-year stopgap contract at most. I'd be willing to live with three years for Saltalamacchia, but I wouldn't like it much.

Also, the more I hear about Ryan Hanigan, the more I'm interested by the possibility.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am very glad about this. I have come around to AJ (for one year only, though, and the booth is calling him, so he might take it . . . ). Salty for two or AJ for one.

But I am very glad Navarro can no longer be an option.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,589 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I mostly agree with this, with the exception that I don't want anything to do with AJ. I'd have given Navarro a one-year stopgap contract at most. I'd be willing to live with three years for Saltalamacchia, but I wouldn't like it much.

Also, the more I hear about Ryan Hanigan, the more I'm interested by the possibility.
    I don't like AJ at this point in his career, either... But he's one of the many options at C that fall under the "better defensively than Ryan Doumit" category.

Which happens to be pretty much every guy on a MLB roster at this point. Hell, Yogi Berra may still qualify for that label.

Even if AJ collapses, there's no such thing as a bad one year deal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I liked Navarro. He isn't seen as a good receiver/pitch framer, but his defensive numbers (advanced and simple) are better than Salty's or AJ's.

I see signing Salty as having to be $10M+ per year...and likely no less than 3 years. If we do that it all but points to giving up on Pinto. He'd be 28 before he'd have a chance to start in 2017 and playing 40-50 games a year wouldn't serve to help him develop much so it would seem it likely wouldn't be any more likely to be a starter material in 2017 than he is now.

On the Salty end, he's top 3rd of 'pitch framer/receivers' or just above average. The Twins set the 3rd highest strikeout total EVER for a team and their OBP was very low. There's a lot of studies going on on Fangraphs and SABR on the single vs BB and how strikeouts go vs contact outs. Nothing overly conclusive yet. I'm looking for more on it myself. That said, Salty on the offensive side, he strikes out 30% of the time while walking only 7% of the time and his 'power numbers' don't offset those deficiencies enough to warrant putting him in the lineup.

Hanigan looks to be trade worthy according to rumors despite the Reds signing him to a 3 yr $4M deal. He's top of the line defensively (everything after the pitch frame). And he's better than Salty as a pitch framer.