Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 win predictions

2014 win predictions

I'm going with 85 and I'm not embarrassed to say it. A rotation including Meyer, Hughes, Nolasco, Correia, and hopefully improved Gibson. An all-star closer. I think Sano's gonna produce. The lightbulb will come on for Hicks. Arcia will improve. Willingham's playing for his next contract. Mauer's gonna play 155 games. Pierzynski will produce and provide leadership. Dozier will continue to improve. Heck, Plouffe might even decide to get serious about his career, be a more consistent hitter, and play a serviceable RF. And then there's the other blast from the past Bartlett. Can the 2008 Bartlett re-emerge? Should be interesting!

My guess would be from 72 to 76 wins next year but things will really start to look up I think by end of year. I think we will have seen Sano, Hicks again, Myer, and maybe Buxton by end of year. Also I think Arcia will begin to figure out how to hit in majors on more consistent basis, and Dosier become more of quality second baseman. I also think the Twins probably will trade for prospect shortstop or very young shortstop before the year is over to set table for 2015. Also we should get idea if we have catcher of the future or will need to aquire one for coming years. I also think some of prospect pitchers of last coupe years are going to step up to now since there's less positions available with these signings. This is the beginning of turn around but still think were at least one to two years away from making run for the playoffs.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm optimistic, but I'm not 85-wins optimistic. I'll go with 79 wins

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's talk about it in early March. Still long ways to go this off-season.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 52 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Right now we have the rotation and bullpen to win 82-88 games but the offense to win 65- 70 on a good year. I am gonna go with 75 at this point as next season still has a lot of development to do. The key to our record next year is obviously going to be our offense we'll go as far as they take us. Assuming we sign AJ to catch we need Sano to start out strong, Arcia to hit well, and Presley to get on base at a .350 or so clip to have an offense capable of .500 ball next year. The potential is there and that's a good thing but there are so many variables until they actually hit.

I'm going with 75-87, but I'll take 85 wins in 2015!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Right now, 70 wins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Physics Guy's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I would be happy with 81 this year. The pitching is going to be better and we have a number of young players who could show improvement (Arcia, Hicks ...) and a few veterans who could bounce back or be healthy (Willingham, Mauer, Plouffe). With their additions at SP, I would think the floor is around 74 and I would think that Marta's estimate of 85 is probably the ceiling. That being said, it's pretty early to have a great feeling for what the team will look like come April.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am curious about the Winter Meetings, so I am waiting until at least then to make a prediction.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,522 Times in 796 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am curious about the Winter Meetings, so I am waiting until at least then to make a prediction.
    Yeah, still too many lineup questions to answer and Ryan could surprise us all with a trade or two.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    72 right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    The opponents change their rosters too! I agree with Thrylos, we need to wait until Spring before making predictions.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    So far we have a major loss at catcher, a solid upgrade at 1st and a minor upgrade to the rotation. A lot more has to happen before I go above 75, and I know I will as I have a hard time seeing less then 90 every March. So might as well just get that out of the way giving the silliness of this question at this point. I see them winning 93 games in 2014.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecgrimes View Post
    So far we have a major loss at catcher, a solid upgrade at 1st and a minor upgrade to the rotation.
    I agree with the sentiment but Nolasco is a massive upgrade to the rotation, not a minor one. He might be worth 3-4 wins by himself because of the dreck he will be replacing.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I agree with the sentiment but Nolasco is a massive upgrade to the rotation, not a minor one. He might be worth 3-4 wins by himself because of the dreck he will be replacing.
    Agreed, massive upgrade to his one spot in rotation.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 381 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am happy that the Twins seem to be out front and aggressive this offseason. Still need to bring back Pelfrey and get a catcher, and maybe a leadoff/CF. If they do that and catch some breaks then 85-95 wins is possible IMO.

A lot depends on how the Tribe handle Ubaldo and Kazmir obviously. I expect KC to finish right back around 90 wins. Whities have some guys who could improve over last year (De Aza, Ramirez, Garcia). And if that sports hernia/groin injury hits Cabrera again then it could be anybody's game.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    For those advocating a return of Pelfrey, what do you think the Twins should do with Diamond, Deduno, and Worley?

I don't think any of them will clear waivers and if the Twins pick up Pelfrey, that leaves one rotation spot for three guys.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 381 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For those advocating a return of Pelfrey, what do you think the Twins should do with Diamond, Deduno, and Worley?
    I'd put them through waivers without a second thought and would be surprised if none of them cleared. They are all replacement types IMO.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    Not a silly question IMO. I love the optimism. Optimism is spilling all over these threads - who doesn't love that!?

Given the progression at the end of the nineties:

1999: 63-97
    2000: 69-93
    2001: 85-77
    2002: 94-67, ALCS

And how we see this team setting up now:

2012: 66-96
    2013: 66-96
    2014:
    2015:

so it's not unreasonable to predict or expect something like 82-80 this year and by spring 2015, we can hope even the 2014 Opening Day lineup will look like it was from another era.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think any of them will clear waivers and if the Twins pick up Pelfrey, that leaves one rotation spot for three guys.
    Five guys. Add Gibson to the equation. He pitched better than Diamond last season. Add Kris Johnson to the equation. TR said that he is better than Diamond (he is) and will compete for a spot.

That said, I'd rather see them sign Kazmir than Pelfrey. Need a LHP there. And I'd hand the #5 spot to Worley (people don't realize he is the same age as Kyle Gibson and he has has success in the majors in the past calling a bandbox of a ballpark home) and try to find good homes for Diamond and Deduno.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast