Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 win predictions

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Five guys. Add Gibson to the equation. He pitched better than Diamond last season. Add Kris Johnson to the equation. TR said that he is better than Diamond (he is) and will compete for a spot.

That said, I'd rather see them sign Kazmir than Pelfrey. Need a LHP there. And I'd hand the #5 spot to Worley (people don't realize he is the same age as Kyle Gibson and he has has success in the majors in the past calling a bandbox of a ballpark home) and try to find good homes for Diamond and Deduno.
    I agree, particularly on Worley. I'm still somewhat positive about him.

And no way do Diamond or Worley clear waivers. No freakin way. Deduno, maybe. Vance and Scott have had success as recently as 2012 and Worley hasn't even hit his prime seasons yet.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 286 Posts
    A rotation of Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, then adding a Kazmir or Pelfrey, really smacks of the "shortcut" that Ryan said he wasn't going to take. So don't expect any more free agent pitcher signings and probably won't be a blockbuster trade either. Nolasco and Hughes was the right balance and as good as we could expect from this offseason. I'm actually happy.

The Twins will open the last two spots to competition among all these other guys, and that should be just fine. And then at some point in the season there will be an opening for Meyer to come up.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they do not sign Garza, I hope they are done with FA pitchers.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I agree, particularly on Worley. I'm still somewhat positive about him.

And no way do Diamond or Worley clear waivers. No freakin way. Deduno, maybe. Vance and Scott have had success as recently as 2012 and Worley hasn't even hit his prime seasons yet.
    A veritable embarrasment of riches? It actually could become so should the Vanimal regain his lost form.

My question. Can the Twins pull the same scheme as the Dodgers did (on a miniscule relative scale, of course) and stash their current and/or future collection of 7-8 (Pelfrey still an option?) potential starters in the: 1)collective rottion, 2) the bullpen, 3) the DL and/or 4) the minors? If not, what sort of trade is in the offing? I mean, they won't just entirely write off Diamond, Worley and/or Deduno, right?
    Last edited by jokin; 12-01-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    If they do not sign Garza, I hope they are done with FA pitchers.
    I think the Korean is still a possibility that intrigues them enough to still consider- hard to fathom that Garza would still be an option.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Right now, low 70's.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Snepp is exactly right. I'd say 72 wins with this team right now.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts
    When you factor in that the team out-performed their pyath. by a decent margin....even with these additions we're still in the neighborhood of 75, probably on the lower end.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    The starting staff still isn't very good (much better though) and the offense is completely dependent on rookies to show a significant improvement. Right now the Twins are shooting for 75 wins but the offseason isn't over yet.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Right now, low 70's.
    As the club has finally acknowledged that what many of us have advocated for over the last 2 offseasons IS the proper direction to head towards in order to resurrect the franchise, I've moved up from my September prediction of 62 wins in 2014....if Ryan shuts down all club-improvement activities shortly after the Winter Meetings (with only cosmetic and perfunctory roster moves in the interim), as he has done the last 2 years, I expect only 70-74 wins.

If he decides to make a continued commitment in aspiring to upgrade, fine tune and tinker with the product all the way up to the end of Spring Training (removing more dead weight and filling the remaining holes with legitimate MLB players at SP, C, SS, OF ), there's a fighting chance that 75 is the floor and 80 is the ceiling.

As many have said previously, there're many miles to go before April 1. Other teams in the division, and elsewhere, continued to upgrade until that point- and can continue to present an impediment to the Twins getting out of their morass at the bottom of the AL. The White Sox, for example, are bound to be better than in 2013, and KC and Cleveland established something to build upon.

Likewise, suddenly-fully-healthy arms from some combination of Deduno, Worley, Diamond and possibly Pelfrey, along with a sparkling debut from Meyer, say in May or June, can change the expectations and overall complexion of the Twins quite radically.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-01-2013 at 08:22 PM.

11. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (12-01-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12