Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 man roster?

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Have we offered arbitration to Duensing?
    Not sure about you , but the Twins have not offered arbitration to anyone of the 3 (Duensing, Plouffe, Swarzak) yet. The deadline is tomorrow.

But I think all 3 should be a non-brainer compared to the likes of Albers, Colabello, Mastroianni et al.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I think Mastroianni and Colabello would have a good shot at clearing waivers. Albers I'm not so sure about. There's always someone desperate enough to take a flyer on pitching.

Does anyone know why Kepler and/or Vargas were added to the 40-man? I know they're considered good prospects, but neither one is close to being major league ready, and I don't see why anyone would select them in the Rule 5 draft and waste a space on their 25 man roster for either one of them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    Does anyone know why Kepler and/or Vargas were added to the 40-man? I know they're considered good prospects, but neither one is close to being major league ready, and I don't see why anyone would select them in the Rule 5 draft and waste a space on their 25 man roster for either one of them.
    My thoughts exactly!

Maybe TR is gonna trade Doumit and Willingham for prospects. Then it's taken care of.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Having both Presley and Mastroianni just seems silly. Having Kris Johnson now really seems strange. If there's any way to remove Fryer, that is beyond the obvious move.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    If there's any way to remove Fryer, that is beyond the obvious move.
    I can have him removed for you, but, it's going to cost you.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    Collabello IMO, should not be removed. He put up CRAZY AAA numbers last year and should be given every opportunity to have a full season as DH. I would try to trade Doumit for a bag of balls and go with Herrmann as the backup catcher to whomever we sign.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 310 Times in 185 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Herrmann strikes me as a guy worth dumping. Perhaps they can get another Sulbaran for him.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SDTwinsFan View Post
    Maybe TR is gonna trade Doumit and Willingham for prospects. Then it's taken care of.
    Take a look at the Padres #5 and #9 prospects in MLB
    Wisler and Smith, according to rumors San Diego is willing to part with these 2
    with all of our AAAA talent and a couple of MLB pieces,along with a couple of hopes and dreams(prospects ) could we put together a package for these 2 , along with clearing space off the 40 man roster? Rumors has it they are willing to trade away there 3b , so would Plouffe be of interest to them, they are also looking for a left handed bat and lefty pitching,
    so could Doumit and Parmelle along with Diamond and Duensing peek there interest?

it would clear 5 spots off the 40 man roster with out really hampering the team greatly

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Collabello IMO, should not be removed. He put up CRAZY AAA numbers last year and should be given every opportunity to have a full season as DH. I would try to trade Doumit for a bag of balls and go with Herrmann as the backup catcher to whomever we sign.
    Sadly there is no place for him , If I was Terry i would be calling Japan , and hooking Chris up with a team willing to give him a payday(1 million or more) on a 1 year deal and let Colabello learn how to hit the breaking pitch over there. Making sure to let Cola know we would love to have him back next year

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    There should be no sacred cows among those who were at Rochester last year. If anything, the Twins hang on to these guys like them too long cycling them up and down because they were afraid to admit failure and find someone else.

13. This user likes Kwak's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-02-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Sadly there is no place for him , If I was Terry i would be calling Japan , and hooking Chris up with a team willing to give him a payday(1 million or more) on a 1 year deal and let Colabello learn how to hit the breaking pitch over there. Making sure to let Cola know we would love to have him back next year
    Japan would be a pefect place for him to play. He could mash his 35-50 hr's and get paid decent money.

15. These 2 users like darin617's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-02-2013), lecroy24fan (12-05-2013)

What about pitchers Twins drafted....When do guys Like Gibson, Wimmers, Logan, Meyer get a chance or fit in to the Twins direction.....Opinion, if Twins do not develop these guys into major league rotation - I see it hard for any pitcher wanting to be drafted by the twins just to be forgotten in the Minor....Not a very good system for developing from within....

Any updates on the 40 man roster? Doesn't that need to be set by today or is that next Wednesday?

A rule 5 note: fangraphs profiles 1 candidate, with detailed swing analysis: corner OF JD Martinez of the Astros.
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rule-...-j-d-martinez/

Maybe not a fit for the Twins needs, but perhaps worth a shot before Parmalee or Collabello.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ossieO View Post
    A rule 5 note: fangraphs profiles 1 candidate, with detailed swing analysis: corner OF JD Martinez of the Astros.
    The Similarity Scores found at b-r.com are just for fun; still, it's a little intriguing to see among the "most similar at age 25" Ben Oglivie and George Foster. Imagine catching lightning in a bottle like that. Of course you could also end up with the next Chet Ross.

Right now, the Twins have to ask themselves regarding the Rule 5 draft: Is there a player out there that we can carry for a year that is better than anyone we currently have on the 40-man roster.

As for future free-agent signings, the one on the big bubble is Colabello. Then it is a matter of position for position. Pitcher replaces a pitcher, catcher repalces a catcher, outfielder replaces an outfielder.

Of course, the Twins could move bullpen strength (Duensing or Swarzak or Fein) and open a roster spot.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They need to move one (likely today) before Hughes is official. They need to move another if they want to have a rule 5 pick. Today is the deadline to place through outrighting waivers before the Rule 5, with Monday the last day to outright a player if they cleared. So I expect at least a couple of players go through waivers today and they might get claimed (and we will find out as early as today) or not (and we will find out Monday). So the Hughes announcement might happen as early as tomorrow or Monday.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
    This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner: johnnydakota (12-02-2013)

I do too, but not a steak dinner's worth. How about something off the McD dollar menu.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast