Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fister to the Nationals

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I would trade 5 Trevor Mays for Fister so that isn't saying much.
    It was just to give a reference point in terms of the prospect list. I am not sure what the big deal is. This isn't in a vacuum and Ray is good. Not everyone can be traded for elite to great prospects.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Robbie Ray is very good, so what the hell is everyone talking about? They got two other guys to fill out their roster. I am not sure why this is so bad for Detroit. Ray should be up in 2015 at the latest and in the meantime the Tigers can pursue a pitcher.
    Because I would say Doug Fister is much more valuable than say…Denard Span. If Denard Span = Alex Meyer (a top 30 prospect) than Doug Fister should = greater than Alex Meyer. The package Detroit got in return, in my opinion, is much less than Alex Meyer. Robbie Ray is not, IMHO, a very good prospect.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Because I would say Doug Fister is much more valuable than say…Denard Span. If Denard Span = Alex Meyer (a top 30 prospect) than Doug Fister should = greater than Alex Meyer. The package Detroit got in return, in my opinion, is much less than Alex Meyer. Robbie Ray is not, IMHO, a very good prospect.
    Meyer was a ridiculous return for Span, though. I understand the comparison, but that was a ridiculous trade.

Fister is turning 30, correct? Ray and Krol are 22ish and Lombo is 25. The Tigers might see trading Fister for the future while signing another pitcher to replace Fister for 2014.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Meyer was a ridiculous return for Span, though. I understand the comparison, but that was a ridiculous trade.

Fister is turning 30, correct? Ray and Krol are 22ish and Lombo is 25. The Tigers might see trading Fister for the future while signing another pitcher to replace Fister for 2014.
    Trading a borderline top 100 prospect for a very good #2/3 starter is a steal. If you don't like the Span for Meyer deal then compare this versus the Shields/Davis for Myers/Odorizzi trade or the Dickey for D'Arnaud/Syndergaard trade.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I wonder if this is a salary dump. I know at one time they were close to the luxury cap. Detroit's GM is one of the best traders in baseball and this makes little sense for a win now team. BA discusses the trade. Krol allows them to move another lefty to the rotation.

So Detroit got a solid utility player, a young power lefty as a set up man, and a potential 3-4 starter with a very good second half season in AA.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-03-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    If we put stock in BA's report, Ray doesn't throw hard enough or have good enough secondary offerings (an above average change, and an ineffective slurve) to warrant being the primary piece in a deal for Fister.

May throws as hard or harder and has better secondary offerings, like Ray, he struggles with command. Ray had better results over less innings in AA, however. The big strike against May is his age--which some might attribute to his lack of "feel" for pitching.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I also agree on the poor return, but I bet the Tigers have another move to be played(Cano or Tanaka)?
    As the JJ Hardy trade should illustrate, getting bad value for a player merely because you have a follow up move to replace him is a bad idea.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 664 Times in 375 Posts
    Ray screams out as a future failed starter turned decent reliever. And that's the centerpiece for an affordable cost controlled, very good pitcher? Yeah, no spinning that one.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Robbie Ray is the number 5 prospect according to Baseball America. Here are some thoughts on the guy (http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-washington-nationals-top-10-prospects-with-scouting-reports/).

DELETED BA PROPRIETARY CONTENT

Research by Aaron Fitt Posted November 6, 2013

This content is behind BA's pay wall. Totally uncool to copy and paste and you can get the guys who are running this site in trouble...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    This content is behind BA's pay wall. Totally uncool to copy and paste and you can get the guys who are running this site in trouble...
    Thanks for the heads-up on this, Thrylos. It's not so much that we'd get in trouble, it's that we want to foster a community that encourages people to pay for content they want to read, not be a vessel for them to distribute pay content to others. As a site that earns revenue from original content, it's only fair that we respect other sites and their revenue streams, even if I personally dislike the idea of paywalls.

I don't get this move from Detroit's perspective. I can understand maybe they want to get younger and clear salary room for extensions to Scherzer and Cabrera, but Fister was only set to make $8M this year and can't hit the free agent market until 2016. Also, they could've held onto Fister one more year, traded him next winter, and gotten essentially the same return.

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Latest word is framing this trade as making room for Nathan's salary. Detroit basically swapped Fister's 2 remaining years at roughly $17M for 2 years of Nathan at roughly $20M and their trade return. http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ter-trade.html

Here's a question:
    Would you have traded Perkins for Fister? The Tigers would get 3 years at $12M instead of 2 for $20M with Nathan and the Twins would get their best SP of the offseason. I certainly would have thought hard about it.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post

here's a question:
    Would you have traded perkins for fister?
    yes!!!!

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    yes!!!!
    And twice on Sunday.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12