Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Should the Twins be interested in AJ Pierzynski?

I wasn't high on AJ because I don't think he's ready to sit down and watch a younger player take his innings, and particularly one who is going to have growing pains and go through stretches where AJ is clearly the better player. Once AJ accepts that he's not a starter anymore I think he'd be a decent guy to have in the mentor role and resident redass, but 2014 is not the year and parking him on the bench could lead to corrosion and failure.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    Considering all this, what was Boston thinking?
    I have no idea.

Given that AJ looks to be an extreme pull hitter when he's hitting for power, the BoSox better hope he spends the season bouncing balls on or around Pesky Pole.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Wasn't Herrmann on most everyone's top 10 Twins prospects list at this time last year? Why not just go with our two young guys, dump Doumit and let Mauer and Steinbach sit in on pitcher and catcher's meetings. Herrmann got an extended taste last year and they provide a natural LH/RH balance. Growing pains are natural, but also provides opportunities to get better. The 2014 Twins aren't going to win the division, let's invest in the future and let these two guys compete everyday and work in tandem. Save your money and get a quality bat in the OF or 3B or even just for someone to DH. No use in blocking these two guys development.

4. This user likes Siehbiscuit's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (12-03-2013)

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Wasn't Herrmann on most everyone's top 10 Twins prospects list at this time last year?

http://www.twinsdaily.com/entry.php/...ng-Compilation

Highest was #14 (Seth)
    BA: Not in top 10
    BP: Not in top 10
    Sickels: not in top 25
    Cody Christie: 19

Not in the compilation:
    Gleeman had him #20
    SB Nation voting: 21

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Pinto has all the offensive potential in the world, but he's a terrible catcher. He needs to get to league average defensively before he's promoted from the minors. No scholarships!

I love AJ's attitude, and I wish the Twins had more players that really hated to lose. However, the Twins pitching staff needs all the help it can get, and a + catcher defensively is a minimum requirement. Give me someone who knows how to call a game, how to frame a pitch, how to throw a fast runner out, how to slow things down before they get out of hand. If he can hit better than Punto, I'm in.

What ever happened to Butera? :~). Call a game ... blah, blah, blah

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    mlbtraderumors.com now has Saltalamacchia off the board--to the Marlins for 3/21M.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    mlbtraderumors.com now has Saltalamacchia off the board--to the Marlins for 3/21M.
    Yep, and the AJ/BoSox deal was for 1 year, not 2. Oh, well.

Where's that list, Seth? Who should we be going for now?
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Call up Brian Harper, avg defense but never got credit for being a damn good hitter!

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Wasn't Herrmann on most everyone's top 10 Twins prospects list at this time last year? Why not just go with our two young guys, dump Doumit and let Mauer and Steinbach sit in on pitcher and catcher's meetings. Herrmann got an extended taste last year and they provide a natural LH/RH balance. Growing pains are natural, but also provides opportunities to get better. The 2014 Twins aren't going to win the division, let's invest in the future and let these two guys compete everyday and work in tandem. Save your money and get a quality bat in the OF or 3B or even just for someone to DH. No use in blocking these two guys development.
    I could live with that...carry a vet in Rochester to call on if need be and hope Pinto gets better defensively fast. I'm fine with signing a cheap vet for defense while Pinto gets some time in Rochester.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12