Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lesser talked about free agents: Who do you like?

Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Lesser talked about free agents: Who do you like?

So, the hometown club has gone out and signed Ricky Nolasco and Phil Hughes, and I am pleasantly surprised by the activity. While I don't love either player, I can hear the upside arguments for both and I think the dollars will be in line with the rest of the market when all free agents are signed.

I don't think another "major" pitching signing will happen, but rolling the dice here or there is still in play. Play along and assume the same; which one "take a chance on me" free agent pitcher would you want the Twins to roll the dice on?

For me, I have always liked Jeff Niemann. He has battled some shoulder issues recently, but maybe that means he could be had for a minor league deal.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ee-agency.html
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...iemaje01.shtml

Who do you like? MLB trade rumors has a list of FA's to help you make your pick.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...ee-agents.html

2. This user likes scottz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-02-2013)

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Paul Konerko. I'm well aware it makes no sense. But I want him.

4. This user likes Twins Daily Admin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-02-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Michael Young cause he can fill in at 3B, 2b, and 1b if someone gets hurt. A solid contact hitter who could DH or allow Plouffe to go to LF and Willingham to DH. Doesn't strike out a lot and would be inexpensive if guaranteed playing time. Could hit .280/.330/.420 or around a .730-.770 OPS. Twins type of player, been in playoffs several times recently, and Twins were interested in acquiring him a few years ago. Also a short term contract of 1 year or 1 with option. This is a case where we get a professional hitter on a short term deal who is average which is a lot better than we trotted out last season as evidenced by the 614 team runs scored last season. or the equivalent of the offensive version of Corriea.

another choice is Reynolds the power hitter who can DH, 3B, and 1B. He can be spelled at times so others can DH and be held out of the lineup with tough RH pitching. and he wont cost a ton either.

We don't really need relievers but Neshek and Mijares are bot FA again....kidding about Mijares but I would be interested in Neshek on a low cost deal maybe...
    Last edited by Brandon; 12-03-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 132 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Marlins non-tendered former ROY Chris Coghlan. It looks like he has fallen off the map since his rookie year ('09)--injuries? weakness discovered? He's only 28 and a LH bat. Lou Marson has caught quite a bit for the Tribe. I think he has the rep as a good receiver, so probably he's a better hitting Son-of-Sal and was supplanted by Yan Gomes, so Cleveland non-tendered him.

7. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eric Chavez and Jeff Baker. For that to make sense though Doumit would need to b traded. I would love to see Pat Neshek back with twins but I have no idea where or how to fit him in a bullpen that already has a waiting list of good options.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 282 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Chavez as a bench bat, but only if we trade Doumit. I don't want to clog the bench with old slow guys who provide limited defensive value.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Yes i to like Erik Chavez as a platoon and mentor for trevor ,on a 1 year deal, he would also tighten up the D there, but another posibility is Juan Uribe....if you wanted a solid defense .
    Juan is your guy,I think 4th rank in defense last year for 3b,could be had on a 1 year deal or maybe 1+1,Maybe a flier on Derrik Robinson , (this years mastroianni)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
    I would like to see another bat on a one year deal. Although, Sano is just around the corner, what if he struggles at AAA and he doesn't come up until September? Do we need to sit and watch Plouffe suck again all season? Propspects should earn their way into the lineup based on the "we can't keep them out any longer" mentality, instead of "holding" their spot. If Plouffe provided 35 homers to go with his low average and OBP and poor defense, then we got Mark Reynolds. Why not just go grab Reynolds now and let him compete at 3rd? He will play just as terrible of defense, not hit for average, but he will hit plenty of HR's. I'm done with the Plouffe Experiment.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jake Westbrook for 1 year for $1-2 million. Could start and pitch long relief.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really don't want any "lesser" free agents.

If the Twins have reason to believe Pinto is not ready to be a full time starting catcher and want to sign Saltalamacchia, OK. I don't see Pinto as a prospect at a level where you worry about blocking him.

But I see no point in bringing in a 3B to compete with Plouffe or an outfielder with Sano and Buxton knocking on the door. If Plouffe starts the year off slowly, I think Sano is in Minnesota in June. If Plouffe starts off well, then you didn't need the guy you would have added as a FA anyway.

Buxton looks like one of those guys that, when he first sees something he's not familiar with from pitchers, they may get him out for a while. But he assimilates to the level of the talent he's facing very quickly. If the outfield in Minnesota is fine without him in 2014, good - he wouldn't be hurt by spending the whole season in AA-AAA and then being a September call-up. But if the Twins end up needing an outfielder mid-year, I'd bring him up.

I certainly don't see the point in dipping in to free agency for utility infielders. The Twins have a few guys who can do that job for the MLB minimum.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jeff Francoeur & Eddie Chavez.
    (and trading Willingham and something else maybe -Parmelee?- to the Mets for Daniel Murphy; need to clean house too.) You got the makings of a decent OF rotation, some power and bench versatility this way.

And this team needs a lefty in the rotation, so with Kazmir gone, I'd take a flyer on Chris Capuano in an 1+1 year deal.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

15. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AHSaves (12-03-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Jeff Francoeur & Eddie Chavez.
    (and trading Willingham and something else maybe -Parmelee?- to the Mets for Daniel Murphy; need to clean house too.) You got the makings of a decent OF rotation, some power and bench versatility this way.

And this team needs a lefty in the rotation, so with Kazmir gone, I'd take a flyer on Chris Capuano in an 1+1 year deal.
    It's hard for me to see Willingham having much, if any, trade value today. If he starts off relatively hot, you certainly shop him and see what you can get.

I wouldn't mind the 1+1 for Capuano. Probably prefer a trade for Brett Anderson, but I agree I'm not comfortable with Diamond as the only lefty to consider for the rotation (unless I'm forgetting someone).
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

The problem with the free agent pool is that they are marginal addition by addition. Would Eric Chavez be a reasonable option at 3B and a regular DH? Sure, but then what do you do with Plouffe? If you make Plouffe a super-sub (a role I think he is destined for over the next two seasons), playing some DH, some RF, some 3B, some 1B, then how do you fit a Parmelee or a Colabello or Arcia regularly into the lineup. If Arcia becomes your regular LF, then is Willingham your full-time DH, and then what do you do with Doumit?

It is easy to say that we have to trade some of these parts (Colabello/Parmelee/Doumit/Willingham) but those names look suspiciously like the names on the free-agent list, and why would you give us anything for any of those guys over the names that are available as free agents without giving anyone up? Winter rarely works as a time to dump the marginal talent and get anything back in return. Trades work best when someone is performing well and another team (through injury or poor performance) needs the part you are selling.

As was the case with pitching, we either need a substantial upgrade, and simultaneously to dump the person he is replacing, or we need to let the marginal players sort themselves out while waiting for some rookies (who we are all excited about - I can't wait for Rosario, Buxton, Hicks, and Sano) to be regular pieces of the offense.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Franklin Gutierrez. He's been injured, he's been a great defender, he's still shows some flashes of skill with the bat, but he hasn't put it all together for 3 or 4 years. He could start in CF or a corner and upgrade the OF defense, or could just be a part time player. He's a lefty masher, so he could platoon with Presley, or be a bench guy if that's all the better he can perform. He might not be any better than Mastroiani, but there's a fair chance he is good and there's a fair chance that Mastroianni isn't that good. And he could serve as competition for the RFers. He seems like a decent gamble.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    To me Chavez is a good pickup or Juan Uribe, why ? both will improve our defense this year and come june could mentor Sano as they both are spanish speaking players, to me you sign them to a 1+1 contract and make it known , the better they coach, the more we will keep them .
    Its not like we will bring Sano up and he will start 162 games a year or wont have some bumps in the road, and having an older spanish speaking player/Coach will only help him through the ruff patches

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I'd like to give Daniel Hudson a shot. Really I'm OK with taking a shot at any of the (assumably) cheap low risk/high upside guys, Halladay, Santana, Niemann or Floyd.

As some will say the team lacks leadership, I wouldn't mind signing Kevin Youkilis though as a righthander, he wouldn't really work in a platoon with Plouffe. Same with Casey McGehee who may have refound his stroke in Japan. I'd prefer Rajai Davis as a 4th OF/flavor of the month CF over Mastroianni and Presley.

21. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

zenser (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    To me Chavez is a good pickup ... both are spanish speaking players
    Eric Chavez is from Los Angeles. I have seen elsewhere that he doesn't speak much Spanish. What is your source?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    I hope the Twins continue looking for promising bullpen pitchers even though the bullpen seems to be in decent shape.

I think the Twins should be as interested in Stephen Drew as they apparently are in Saltalamacchia.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hudson might be worth a shot. Or a pitcher or two on a best case chance. Do not see any players that would make a difference and might block talent on the way up

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I would take a shot on Hudson or maybe even Gavin Floyd or Jeff Neimann. Those guys have had success at the major league level and have had injuries. If you can get them for a cheap deal, I am in. I also like the idea of a Michael Young or Franklin Gutierrez. Solid veterans who could be role players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast