Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trevor Plouffe

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Plouffe needs to be in a platoon, that's his future.
    A Plouffe/Parmelee platoon is in order in RF or LF if Parm can play that damn position. Like Parmelee, Plouffe could prove to be an average or better defender. It's all temporary, of course, but still. Or I would like this damn team to get rid of Doumit and Plouffe can be a primary DH, and batting cleanup against lefties.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, and have continually argued for such. Which is why his days with the Twins are sorely numbered. The logical trade is to the Orioles, they love them their ex-Twins and are in the process of lopping off salary, ie, as most recently in the form of their closer, Jim Johnson, to gain payroll room for FA SP acquisitions, in addition to their now-gaping hole for a cheaper closer, they are also looking for help at DH, LF and at 2B, and would like to move Hardy out of SS. Plouffe would be the perfect platoon partner with Davis at 1b. Plus 21 year old Jonathan Shoop appears ready to be their next Manny Machado, somewhere in the infield- 2B, perhaps 3rd. Plouffe could also partner with Ryan Flaherty at 2b or 3b, as well, to facilitate the Machado move.

Assuming Machado is 100% healthy to open the season @ SS for the Orioles, how about Plouffe, Willingham, Worley AND Glen Perkins for JJ Hardy, Matt Weiters (O's are shopping him) and PTBNL (SP Hunter Harvey). [Though the O's would surely holdout for Rosario, I would hope the Twins would hold out for more as Hardy is only signed for 2014].
    Last edited by jokin; 12-04-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    A Plouffe/Parmelee platoon is in order in RF or LF if Parm can play that damn position. Like Parmelee, Plouffe could prove to be an average or better defender. It's all temporary, of course, but still. Or I would like this damn team to get rid of Doumit and Plouffe can be a primary DH, and batting cleanup against lefties.
    Shane! We agree! It's the Apocalypse!

Both Parmelee and Plouffe are 1st round draft picks. They are extended every opportunity for that reason, but both are out of time. They need to show something useful in 2014.

While it is rare for Gardy to use a platoon (very rare?) these guys are well suited to a corner OF spot. Parmelee's splits aren't as extreme as Plouffe's, but it would leverage his strength against RH pitchers.

Parms surprised last season by playing a decent RF. Plouffe certainly has the arm for it.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 63 Times in 43 Posts
    I would agree with the basic premise that '14 is make or break for Plouffe.

He's had time, shown improvement, and will get a shot in ST. Fair's fair.

This guy has serious holes in his game, and his potential for turning it around ASAP is questionable. Maybe Sano on his heels will serve as an inspiration. I don't think there's a Twins fan that isn't looking to him as the future, right? So, think of it this way: unless Plouffe has a knockdown-dragout, breakout year in '14, it's cuttin' time. Arbitration eligible after '14...

Obviously, we have to see Sano at the Bigs to have a chance to compare and decide- and I'm sure that's the situation the club wants. Good. Hit it or quit it. I am certain we'll get a preview (or two) of Sano in '14, and generally like the idea of competing for spots. (5-spot in the rotation, same thing.)

This one could break either way, but I say, decide it on the field. I'm no fan of Plouffe, personally, but if Sano does good (though need time to transition) hanging on to Plouffe for depth for a season makes sense. We'll see though. Hopefully, we're raving about Sano this time next year.

Anyway, TP should have the motivation now, but the real decision gets made after the '14 season.
    F5, then post.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm with the majority on here that believe Plouffe won't have a starting job in 2015. However, that doesn't mean he won't have value for the Twins.

I think Plouffe's future with the team will be as a super utility player. He can fill in at the corner outfield positions, give Mauer a day off at 1B, DH if needed and, yes, even cover 3B for a day or two if Sano needs some rest.

Contending teams always need versatile players on the bench, and I think Plouffe can be one of those players in the coming years.

6. This user likes iTwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (12-04-2013)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I've been saying this to people for a long time now. I can absolutely see him leaving the Twins after/during this season and somehow ending up on the Rays/A's/Blue Jays/some other smart team as a corner IF/OF guy who almost exclusively plays against leftys. Starts against lefty starters and pinch hits once a lefty is brought in from the bullpen. I think if he is managed right (i.e. the way I just explained), he can be a valuable role player for a few years.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    A Plouffe/Parmelee platoon is in order in RF or LF if Parm can play that damn position.
    ?

Parm knocked me out with his RF play. He showed range... He made some catches he shouldn't have made. He played the Target field wall better than anyone. He had a real good arm.

IMO... He can play RF... I have no worries.

I don't know if Plouffe can play the position though but it's hard to be a pylon in the OF so I'm ok with Plouffe out there.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

9. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (12-04-2013)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Plouffe/Parms would be an excellent platoon. Plus it would force Arcia to DH - where he belongs.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think its fair to think Plouffe should be Brett Lawrie, Manny Machado or Nolen Arenado with the glove... However... The 3B position has changed. They are making plays over there on a nightly basis. It's a whole new level.

I do think its reasonable to think he could be closer to the modern third basemen. If he can't... He has to produce Offensively.

Here are some videos to look at... Watch them and ask yourself how far off we are from this with Plouffe.

http://wapc.mlb.com/col/play/?conten...3&topic_id=col

http://www.bluejayhunter.com/2013/10...e-gems-of.html

Brooks Robinson has been surpassed. 3B is at a whole new level every night.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-04-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12