Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Interested in Brett Anderson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts

Twins Interested in Brett Anderson

Susan Slusser states that it is believed the Twins have talked to the A's about Anderson. It sounds kind of exciting, but it really is a no-brainer that Ryan would check in on him. The Twins really should be, and seem to be after any above average arm.

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/sta...50445475164160

I'd be all for it depending on the asking price, I can't imagine it's too high, but Beane has gotten pretty good value for his pitchers in the past.

2. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

scottz (12-03-2013)

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope we land him. I trust TR not to over pay.

He's a terrible Health risk but a fantastic pitcher when healthy.

He'd look great on our DL and even better when he comes off our DL.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

4. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Chance (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Rosario for Anderson?

They need an 2nd baseman with Weeks gone, right?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like him, especially because there is this perception (based on things like ERA and W-L again, brought about by a 17.9 HR/FB and a .359 BABIP) that he had an awful 2013, while his FIP and xFIP were 3.85 and 3.26 and his SIERA 3.31.

Would love it if the Twins are able to build a package around Diamond and/or Worley for Anderson (heck add Parmelee if you have to) so you kill a few birds as well...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drock2190 View Post
    Rosario for Anderson?

They need an 2nd baseman with Weeks gone, right?
    I don't think they can trade Rosario while he's on a PED suspension. Am I wrong on that? I guess it depends on how you feel for those two guys but I think it's a slight overpay. I'm not a big Rosario fan but he's probably a top 80-100 range prospect and Anderson has been hurt for years now and owed a lot of money. I'd stay away from him and wouldn't want to give up a real rebuilding piece for him.

8. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

shs_59 (12-04-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    "3:08pm: The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group (on Twitter). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth."

Bodes well for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Would love it if the Twins are able to build a package around Diamond and/or Worley for Anderson (heck add Parmelee if you have to) so you kill a few birds as well...
    Do you take Beane for a fool?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=S.;182537]"3:08pm: The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group (on Twitter). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth."

Bodes well for us.

Would Tonkin be enough to get this done, or would we need to give up a major league reliever such as Duensing, Fien or Pressly?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Why give up Tonkin for a guy taht has not pitched more than 50 innings in a year in a ML uniform since 2011? This is an injured guy, that hasn't been good/healthy since 2010. If you give something up, it is nothing of value at all, just to take the money off their hands (and even that seems like paying too much for me).

Why Worley? He is much more likely to be healthy. I'm baffled at the love.
    Lighten up Francis....

13. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AScheib50 (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    "3:08pm: The Athletics aren't going to trade Anderson today, tweets John Hickey of the Bay Area News Group (on Twitter). However, the A's are seeking bullpen depth."

I saw that too, was just about to post it on here. If it's bullpen they want, it is bullpen they shall get. I think maybe Fien and a middling prospect? Maybe even Burton? I don't know none of our relievers should be off the table other than Perkins. The other guys are all expendable/replaceable. Looks like the A's are in win now mode so would want contributors. Prospect would maybe have to be a piece they believe could help soon or now as well.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    brought about by a 17.9 HR/FB and a .359 BABIP
    I don't think Bert Blyleven gave up 18 HR for every flyball.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Duensing and Burton are bullpen depth. Both can be replaced by free agents.

Liked 104 Times in 62 Posts
    Would love it if they can get him for Burton/ Fien + an ok prospect. They need a lefty bad, hes a risk and a little expensive but there is a ton of upside.

Or does a Travis Harrison or something along those lines get it done by himself.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @drock2190-This feels like overpaying.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    I don't think Bert Blyleven gave up 18 HR for every flyball.
    Hard to tell because those numbers were not there yet
    but in 1986 and 87 Bert gave 1.66 and 1.55 HR/9IP. Anderson last season gave 1.01 HR/9, so maybe he did. It was the homerdome and that was before they put the screen at LF.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 58 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Burton stands to make over 3 million which would balance the trade dollars a little. or we could trade any of our relievers and add Diamond or Worely and get cash back in the deal. We could even add another reliever who is a prospect in the minors if we can get a few million back. that would make the payroll adjustment around 3-4 million for next year.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    I imagine picking up Gregorson and Johnson today probably limits how much bullpen help they need anymore.

I love the healthy Anderson but how often do we see that? And he doesn't come cheap for what is essentially a make-good opportunity ($8 million next year and with a $12 million club option for 2015). If the Twins were close to contention, it may be worth a gamble. I don't see it given where the club is now. Injury history per Wikipedia:

• 2010 - Forearm strain (missed almost half the season)

• 2011 - Tommy John Surgery (made 13 starts before undergoing Tommy John Surgery in June)

• 2012 - Recovery from Tommy John Surgery (made 6 starts before landing on the DL with a side oblique strain)

• 2013 - Ankle injury (appeared in 6 games before suffering an ankle injury, later revealed to have stress fracture in his right foot)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I like him, especially because there is this perception (based on things like ERA and W-L again, brought about by a 17.9 HR/FB and a .359 BABIP) that he had an awful 2013, while his FIP and xFIP were 3.85 and 3.26 and his SIERA 3.31.

Why would that trade work? My guess is with the A's need for a bullpen arm, it would take a Burton plus a B prospect or Perkins with a return of Anderson and a C level prospect. I know its a fantasy game and I don't know what I am talking about. Even with their recent trade to `jgfdsjdhfjgssdfghshdssrtesrgshdgfjdhgg;hhkl;;lk

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dance with Disco Dan View Post
    I love the healthy Anderson but how often do we see that? And he doesn't come cheap for what is essentially a make-good opportunity ($8 million next year and with a $12 million club option for 2015). If the Twins were close to contention, it may be worth a gamble. I don't see it given where the club is now. Injury history per Wikipedia:

• 2010 - Forearm strain (missed almost half the season)

• 2011 - Tommy John Surgery (made 13 starts before undergoing Tommy John Surgery in June)

• 2012 - Recovery from Tommy John Surgery (made 6 starts before landing on the DL with a side oblique strain)

• 2013 - Ankle injury (appeared in 6 games before suffering an ankle injury, later revealed to have stress fracture in his right foot)
    This right here is why the A's won't get much for him... at least when combined with his contract.

I'd be willing to give up something of little value for him. From a risk standpoint, I'd argue that 2010-2012 were all due to Tommy John injury. That to me is over with. We have lots of decent options in the pen and just about any one of them (minus Perkins) would be well worth giving up for Anderson. As it is, they are going to have to make room for Tonkin, so I say do it if the A's want help in their pen.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast