Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Interested in Brett Anderson

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After securing a couple of middle of the rotation guys, Anderson is the kind of guy that should be added. There's a reason that the A's turned down Wil Myers for Anderson last year. He's essentially a left handed Doug Fister, with more groundballs and more strikeouts. He'll only be 26 on opening day and has two years of team control left. He's also shown that he's willing to sign an extension.

Injury concerns are valid, but keep in mind he hasn't had an arm related injury since having Tommy John surgery. He had an oblique strain in 2012 and a stress fracture in his foot last year.

I'm not sure what it would take. The A's addressed most of their needs recently adding Kazmir, Gentry, Johnson and Gregorson. If they still want bullpen depth, I'd offer any two not named Perkins.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    If we are talking about harrison, Walker or Kepler level prospects then I love it. If we are talking about Rosario or Arcia level prospects then I'm not as interested.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    If they turned down Will Meyers straight up I doubt the Twins will have a package Beane likes. Lower level prospects might be to the A's liking rather than major league spare parts

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anderson's value has dropped since they turned down Will Myers as his cost is higher and he has hardly pitched the last few years so he will likely not pitch more than 160 innings this year if the team that gets him plans on keeping him the following year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    If they turned down Will Meyers straight up I doubt the Twins will have a package Beane likes. Lower level prospects might be to the A's liking rather than major league spare parts
    Lot of things have changed since then. Last off-season Anderson was very good in his return from Tommy John until the oblique strain. Then he came back in the playoffs and dominated Detroit in a must win game 3. The A's also didn't have as much pitching depth as they do now.

Liked 1,031 Times in 468 Posts
    Anderson would be a fantastic gamble to take.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Let's make it happen. I' m sure Billy isn't going to give him away though.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they need a second basemen or middle infield help, wouldn't a deal that included brian dozier make sense? Say a possible combination of Duensing/Dozier or Burton/Dozier? I'm not sure if that'd be enough, but I've never been high on Dozier and I think selling him now when his value is highest would be a great move for the ballclub in the future.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Has any team ever gotten the better end of a trade with Oakland? A Brett Anderson trade would make people forget about the Garza/Young trade quick.
    2 rules to live by in life
    1. Never play with fire, you will get burned.
    2. Never make a trade with Billy Beane, you will also get burned...

10. These 2 users like darin617's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (12-03-2013), johnnydakota (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwille View Post
    If they need a second basemen or middle infield help, wouldn't a deal that included brian dozier make sense? Say a possible combination of Duensing/Dozier or Burton/Dozier? I'm not sure if that'd be enough, but I've never been high on Dozier and I think selling him now when his value is highest would be a great move for the ballclub in the future.
    IMO this type of deal would be a huge mistake. You built something with Dozier last year, don't sell that for a risky move pitcher. If you're going to trade him it needs to be for a proven, reliable exchange.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Billy Beane gave away Carlos Gonzalez, top 5 prospect in the game at the time, for 3 prospects who never amounted to much when it was all said and done (Holiday trade, Brett Wallace, etc).

Only Michael Taylor is with them. He's 27, after 3 seasons with the A's he's hit a robust .135 in 74 big league at bats.

One of the all-time worst trades in MLB history in my opinion, especially if Gonzalez can stay healthy with the Rockies. As despite his 'health issues' Gonzalez has racked up 4 20-20 seasons, 3 GGs, and a batting title while only averaging 129 games a season.

So that's 1/2 season of Matt Holiday and whatever Michael Taylor ends up doing (74 ABs at .135 and counting) against whatever Carlos Gonzalez ends up doing for the rest of his career. AKA HOFer if he stays healthy.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beane also signed Ben Sheets for $10M...and he never even pitched a pitch for them.

He also signed Chris Young this past year for over $8.5M. He hit .200 in 335 ABs.

Billy Beane isn't about making great trades. Billy Beane is about making trades before he gets nothing in return. Pre-Arbitration or pre-free agency, he's a 'what can I get for this guy' type of guy.

So a lot of times the other team is getting the better deal, but Beane doesn't walk away empty handed, that's his MO.

14. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    Beane is not a genius by any means. He has already traded away Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for 1/2 season of Holliday, Holliday for nothing, he traded Brosius for Kenny Rogers, Bellhorn for nothing, Nelson Cruz for Keith Ginter, Hudson for nothing, Ethier for Milton Bradley, Bradley a year later for nothing, Scutaro for nothing, selected Encarnacion off waivers and then granted him FA three weeks later without ever playing a game, Ziegler for nothing. While he has at some point scammed teams into receiving some of these players it never pays off because he turns around and deals them before they reach their potential.

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give them Two of Swarzak, Duensing, Burton, Worley, Hendricks. Check to see if there is an added prospect for another one or one of Plouffe, Parmalee, Colabello thrown in. Do it quick too, need roster spots ASAP!!!

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Top of the rotation, buy low, and lefty. This is where you open the farm and are glad you didn't waste money on the Cubans so you can use it now.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-03-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Anderson would be a fantastic gamble to take.
    Agreed and this would be an example of a real gamble, as opposed to past signings like Harden and Zumaya which weren't very risky at all. If the Twins farm system is so head and shoulders above everyone else in the league, then they can afford to sacrifice a bit of that strength to fix a problem. Also, I'm not too worried about getting fleeced here. I think Ryan is smart enough to not give too much away for a guy with so many injury red flags.

A move like this would also instantly make the Nolasco and Hughes signings even better. It would send a strong signal that the team is serious about contending in the near future. I wanted them to go after Kazmir so we'd have a lefty in the rotation but I think the 2/22 he got from the As (coincidentally) is too rich. Maybe there was no interest in Kazmir because they were focused on Anderson all along? Even if they don't trade for him, I like the idea that the team is still looking to add starters.

19. This user likes EephusKnuckler's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

PseudoSABR (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Top of the rotation, buy low, and lefty. This is where you open the farm and are glad you didn't waste money on the Cubans so you can use it now.
    I agree with you for the most part, but again we would be eating some salary for them. He will not be starting, that is why they are trying to unload him. I trust Terry on this one to set the value and not get fleeced.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    I agree that the injury history is concerning, but the latest one was a broken ankle which shouldn't be a huge red flag.

I also agree that that dealing with Beane can be hazardous but the trade for Jim Johnson seemed foolhardy considering the $10 million price tag. I don't think Anderson will require much to get. He's also a free agent after this year, that sucks, but it also should limit his cost.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Beane is not a genius by any means. He has already traded away Carlos Gonzalez and Huston Street for 1/2 season of Holliday, Holliday for nothing, he traded Brosius for Kenny Rogers, Bellhorn for nothing, Nelson Cruz for Keith Ginter, Hudson for nothing, Ethier for Milton Bradley, Bradley a year later for nothing, Scutaro for nothing, selected Encarnacion off waivers and then granted him FA three weeks later without ever playing a game, Ziegler for nothing. While he has at some point scammed teams into receiving some of these players it never pays off because he turns around and deals them before they reach their potential.
    If Beane isn't a genius, I don't want to know what Ryan is. Beane's record is superior by orders of magnitude in comparison. He wins more and rebuilds better - never losing 90 games in 16 seasons.

According to some here, that shouldn't even be possible, since Beane hasn't been able to get picks at the very top of the draft.

23. This user likes drivlikejehu's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-03-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Beane trades starters for starting pitching prospects. They are the best currency in baseball. He will find bullpen pieces without giving up prospects. He will piece together a lineup of role and platoon players.

On the current roster...

Mulder to Haren to Anderson
    Cahill to Parker
    Gutierrez to Malone

He will seek the best starting pitching prospect he can get. His staff may be particularly good at identifying which prospects will carry success into the majors. I would be vary cautious about trading any starting prospect for Anderson.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast