Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins Interested in Brett Anderson

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    If Beane isn't a genius, I don't want to know what Ryan is. Beane's record is superior by orders of magnitude in comparison. He wins more and rebuilds better - never losing 90 games in 16 seasons.
    Orders of magnitude? The A's have had the same playoff futility as the Twins over nearly the same period of time. The A's lost more than 85 games three seasons in a row (just four years ago), and it's only fair to saddle two of the losing season at TR's feet (if even that). It's unfair to conflate the BS years with TR.

You might argue that the Beane has been better (but not significantly so) than TR, but to suggest that hte difference is in the 'orders of magnitude' is an blatant exaggeration.

Brett Anderson Trade?

Oakland is looking for bullpen help and are wanting to trade lefty Brett Anderson. Should Minnesota look into it seriously? Who should/would they trade to land him. As of right now the only lefty in the equation for the rotation is Diamond and I personally wouldn't give him the job. I want to hear ideas!

Junior Member Rookie SouthDakotaFarmer's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was watching HotStove this morning and they were remarking on how DEEP the A's bullpen is. I'm not exactly sure what they really are looking for in return, but the thought is nice.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would offer up Perkins & give them the pick of or both diamond/Worley to help sort out the 40man roster. Let swarzak, fien, burton battle for the closer spot.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    I would love to add Anderson to the rotation.

Blog Entries
    How many years of control are left for Anderson? Obviously the closer to the end, the lesser value and return.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I would like to add Anderson to the roster, but I don't think we would need to offer up Perkins or anything close to that value. He is a starter that will make 8 million this year and I think (from memory) 12 million in 2015. He doesn't have a spot in Oakland's rotation. They have to move him, they have no choice. They are not going to eat that much salary. He hasn't pitched much because of TJ and assorted injuries over the last 3 years.

Again, I'm all for making the trade. We just don't have to and shouldn't give up that much in value to take on roughly 20 million in salary.
    Last edited by minn55441; 12-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.

8. These 2 users like minn55441's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

panolo (12-04-2013), Siehbiscuit (12-04-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    It's going to take Perkins & a Worley type to get him & I'm completely ok with that.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthDakotaFarmer View Post
    How many years of control are left for Anderson? Obviously the closer to the end, the lesser value and return.
    He is a free agent in 11 months.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    It's going to take Perkins & a Worley type to get him & I'm completely ok with that.
    I wouldn't give that up for one year of Brett Anderson. I wouldn't even give up Perkins.

The guy has pitched 165 innings in the past three seasons combined.

12. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-04-2013), thetank (12-04-2013)

Blog Entries
    He has a 12 mil option for 2015 so he isn't a free agent in 11 months. Considering the risk involved with his contract and health concerns I wouldn't think Beane would be looking for anything crazy. Maybe a lefty reliever for the middle of the farm system? I'm also a cheap-a$$ farmer so....

14. These 3 users like SouthDakotaFarmer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-04-2013), scottz (12-05-2013), thetank (12-04-2013)

Liked 1,089 Times in 489 Posts
    I would think Beanes goal in moving Anderson would be to free up $8m, so the return probably wouldn't be that much. A team trading for him can't even be assured he will throw a pitch in 2014. If he was a sure thing going into 2014 he probably wouldn't be available.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Toronto will outbid those offers of Fien, Burton etc... all day long.

Teams would pay Anderson 2/20 on the free agent market easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I wouldn't give that up for one year of Brett Anderson. I wouldn't even give up Perkins.

The guy has pitched 165 innings in the past three seasons combined.
    Rocketpig, I'm not calling you out by any means, but what do you want to do exactly the rest of this offseason? From what I have seen, you are a no on signing Garza, No on the trade canidates proposed and a no on Salty(if I remember correctly). Do you want to stand pat until next year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I don't think Anderson would get two years on the free agent market, he'd only get one. It wouldn't cost Perkins to get him, not even close.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Rocketpig, I'm not calling you out by any means, but what do you want to do exactly the rest of this offseason? From what I have seen, you are a no on signing Garza, No on the trade canidates proposed and a no on Salty(if I remember correctly). Do you want to stand pat until next year?
    I want to see the rest of the market shake out. Maybe trade a reliever or two, pick up some third base help and a vet catcher on a 1-2 year deal. Maybe an outfielder if one presents himself (I haven't looked through who is left).

If a really nice player is left in January, absolutely snatch him up but I wouldn't be playing in Tanaka/Garza waters right now. Start rounding out the roster with cheaper guys on short-term deals.

20. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-04-2013), diehardtwinsfan (12-04-2013)

A good addition IF, and only if, the price is right. A mid-level pitching prospect, or something of that sort...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthDakotaFarmer View Post
    He has a 12 mil option for 2015 so he isn't a free agent in 11 months. Considering the risk involved with his contract and health concerns I wouldn't think Beane would be looking for anything crazy. Maybe a lefty reliever for the middle of the farm system? I'm also a cheap-a$$ farmer so....
    Totally missed the option year. Thanks for the correction.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take the chance if it was for a mid-tier prospect or reliever. I agree this looks like a salary dump and it should not take a ton to get him. If he works out great(we are probably contenders in the next 2 years) if not 8 million while not good is not the end of the world. TR should be able to work it out.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I want to see the rest of the market shake out. Maybe trade a reliever or two, pick up some third base help and a vet catcher on a 1-2 year deal. Maybe an outfielder if one presents himself (I haven't looked through who is left).

If a really nice player is left in January, absolutely snatch him up but I wouldn't be playing in Tanaka/Garza waters right now. Start rounding out the roster with cheaper guys on short-term deals.
    Yeah, if Anderson can be had cheap, by all means get him. The problem is that now the rotation is reasonably locked up with Nolasco, Hughes, KC, Gibson, whoever. Someone gets bumped in that situation and there are guys who do deserve a shot at the 5th spot. I'd trade a reliever to get Anderson, but certainly not Perkins. I liked the idea of Tanaka, but at this point, I don't see that being a wise investment. Not sure they are going to be doing much on offense either. I think that other than minor moves and perhaps an FA trade, they are done.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast