Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Twins Interested in Brett Anderson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, they are dissimilar pitchers (Anderson is a control guy, Harden a K guy), but they have had somewhat similar effectiveness. Anderson was a career 118 ERA+ guy until 2013, when crazy BABIP and HR/FB dragged him down in his limited innings. And he is left-handed, which can be a bonus. Also, Anderson has already had his major surgery, while Harden always seemed on the precipice of it.

I prefer vintage Harden to Anderson too (kinda wish the Twins had been able to swing a deal for him back in the day). But that doesn't mean the A's demands will drop THAT significantly from three B prospects (2 in MLB already, one performing well) and a useful cheap major leaguer. If it's spare parts and maybe one B prospect, the A's will just hold onto him and try to showcase him one last time.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I am changing my mind some.....IF they feel he can be healthy, I'd deal Rosario or almost any prospect not named Sano or Buxton for him. But it is all dependent on their medical opinions.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,285 Times in 742 Posts
    From the current Hot Stove chat on ESPN1500:

• I DO think the Twins will add another pitcher. I'm hearing rumblings at Target Field -- people believe Terry Ryan could make a fairly big trade next week.
      by Phil Mackey 12/6/2013 6:37:07 PM 12:37 PM
      • Like I said, I think the Twins will really kick the tires on potential trades. Keep an eye on A's LHP Brett Anderson.
        by Phil Mackey 12/6/2013 6:40:10 PM 12:40 PM
      • Considering Anderson's injury history and $8 million contract, I don't think it would take top prospects. I'll throw the question back to you guys: If the A's said "Arcia for Anderson, and he's yours," do you do it if you're Terry Ryan?
        by Phil Mackey 12:43 PM

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Um, "wouldn't take top prospects" and then he throws out Arcia's name? He's only not a top prospect because he's not technically a prospect anymore due to service time. If he was still a prospect, he'd almost certainly be in our top 6, maybe top 3. That's just silly.

And no, I wouldn't trade Arcia for him. Kepler/Walker/Harrison/Hicks, maybe, but not Arcia.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ha, trade Arcia? So basically have zero OFers next year?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

• Considering Anderson's injury history and $8 million contract, I don't think it would take top prospects. I'll throw the question back to you guys: If the A's said "Arcia for Anderson, and he's yours," do you do it if you're Terry Ryan?

Hm, well if the As think they can swap out Cespedes to the DBacks for pitching then backfill with Arcia then I think the Twins might be better served just trading with the DBacks.

Or better yet, exhausting the budget before trading away guys like Arcia.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The A's didn't fall into Money... They are going for it with the usual constraints.

They have a lot of pitching... After picking up Johnson and Kazmir... They can't afford Anderson's contract and they have arms to cover.

The A's want to shed the salary in my opinion.

Take the contract and it really shouldn't cost much in prospects.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    I agree with Phil, no I would not deal Arcia for him. We're not a team in contention. The only reason it makes sense to deal for Brett Anderson is if he's had relatively on the cheap. He's got two years left. We MIGHT be competing with the Tigers again in 2015 but that depends on a lot of prospects coming up and figuring it out quickly. So to give up a piece that should be a contributing regular and possible all star for the next 5-6 years doesn't make sense.

I may be wrong and I'll own up but I just don't see Brett Anderson bringing in anything great right now. A reasonable deal would be a solid young reliever and then a prospect with good upside in the low minors.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Well, they are dissimilar pitchers (Anderson is a control guy, Harden a K guy), but they have had somewhat similar effectiveness. Anderson was a career 118 ERA+ guy until 2013, when crazy BABIP and HR/FB dragged him down in his limited innings. And he is left-handed, which can be a bonus. Also, Anderson has already had his major surgery, while Harden always seemed on the precipice of it.

I prefer vintage Harden to Anderson too (kinda wish the Twins had been able to swing a deal for him back in the day). But that doesn't mean the A's demands will drop THAT significantly from three B prospects (2 in MLB already, one performing well) and a useful cheap major leaguer. If it's spare parts and maybe one B prospect, the A's will just hold onto him and try to showcase him one last time.
    It's not just the performance though either. It's the timing. Right now he's coming off his worst season and third year in a row of having injury issues. Being more realistic, lets say he starts the year off with the A's pitches 10-15 starts with no major injury concerns at around a 3.5 ERA with his usually solid K/BB and Groundball numbers then yes, he could bring a decent haul. When Harden was traded for that group of players he was having a lights out season and no big health concerns. Looked like he might finally be snapping out of his past injury issues and had the past to back up that this wasn't just a hot start. Harden's career ERA+ was 138 following the season he was traded in. probably a little lower at time of trade but still. He was much better in all ways than Brett and had shown a glimpse that he might be healthy again. Unfortunately for him and the Cubs it didn't last but still. Point is teams were mid-season trying to compete and this guy was looking like the Ace he had been in the past. Brett doesn't have that half season of health and good performance for everyone to look at and throw top prospects at in a trade. He's got three seasons where he's been mediocre as a whole and injury riddled to boot.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 812 Times in 512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    From the current Hot Stove chat on ESPN1500:

• I DO think the Twins will add another pitcher. I'm hearing rumblings at Target Field -- people believe Terry Ryan could make a fairly big trade next week.
      by Phil Mackey 12/6/2013 6:37:07 PM 12:37 PM
      • Like I said, I think the Twins will really kick the tires on potential trades. Keep an eye on A's LHP Brett Anderson.
        by Phil Mackey 12/6/2013 6:40:10 PM 12:40 PM

I think they should kick the tires on trades. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Perkins is a member of another team and Casey Fein is closing for us next year (with Tonkin being groomed to replace him).

That said, I would not in a million years trade Arcia for Anderson. Arcia is a member of the next run and looks like he will be a beast in the lineup... and with guys like Sano, Mauer, and Buxton batting around him, teams won't exactly be able to pitch around him. Add in some of the other potential high(er) ceiling bats, and you have a pretty good lineup top to bottom.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456