Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salty will sign with the Marlins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    MLBTR points out the FL vs MN sales tax difference. That plus it being his home state, probably meant that Twins had to significantly outbid the Fish to get him
    There are very few professional organizations that I would strongly be against playing for but the Loria Marlins are one of them.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    There are very few professional organizations that I would strongly be against playing for but the Loria Marlins are one of them.
    Yeah, how can anyone sign a contract with them and have any confidence it was made in good faith?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 104 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Minnesota State Income Tax bracket for Salty, 9.85%. so roughly 10% or $700k a year.
    Not to make this a tax discussion, but actually pro athletes pay income tax based on where the games are played. So only half his salary (home games) would have been subject to Minnesota tax, and the rest on the various states where our road games are played.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yeah, how can anyone sign a contract with them and have any confidence it was made in good faith?
    Good point , if it wasnt for a rule about trading a F.A. signee until june , you would wonder if the Marlins would dump him for a prospect before the ink dries on his contract

only veteran catchers I could think of twins signing are Shoppach,Napoli,Torrealba or just keep what they got Pinto and Doumit.

As more catchers go off the board, it starts to make more sense for them to look on the trade market, particularly at players who might be displaced by these recent deals and who could be decent stopgaps or depth.

I don't know these players too well, but I'd at least be intrigued by Rob Brantly from the Marlins (he's losing starting gig to Salty now) and Jose Lobaton from the Rays (who have acquired Ryan Hanigan and resigned Jose Molina this offseason, leaving Lobaton out of a position.)

Quick look at baseball-reference indicates that Lobaton has hit a little bit in the last couple years, but has had his caught-stealing numbers plummet in the same time; meanwhile Brantly has hit in the minors, but not in the majors yet, and caught baserunners stealing at a league-average rate last year.
    Last edited by whosafraidofluigirussolo; 12-04-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised he signed for such a reasonable amount - since reports seemed to indicate that the bidding had "gotten out of control". $7M / year is a good price for Salty, IMO.

I hope the Twins take a look at Suzuki, I think he'd be a great backup to Pinto. He plays decent defense and is a better hitter than most of the catchers still on the market.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I could handle Suzuki as a 60 game catcher with Pinto catching 102 and Doumit catching <3 innings.

9. These 3 users like kab21's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-04-2013), ericchri (12-04-2013), snepp (12-04-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Minnesota State Income Tax bracket for Salty, 9.85%. so roughly 10% or $700k a year.

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/indiv..._Brackets.aspx

He probably won't be playing in Florida long. Marlins Owner, Laria, has turrets, he hits the trade button often and randomly.

I'm just glad the Twins didn't sign him. So glad.
    Except pro athletes only pay the income tax for their home games....so half that number. But that is still a real number.

I agree with the poster earlier, they NEED OF help. Badly. Even when Buxton comes up, they have no LF. This year, they have no LF or CF, assuming Willingham is the DH. Ugh.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Oops, should have read the whole thread......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    No LF? You've completely given up on Aaron Hicks?

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Not to make this a tax discussion, but actually pro athletes pay income tax based on where the games are played. So only half his salary (home games) would have been subject to Minnesota tax, and the rest on the various states where our road games are played.
    I'm sure there is some reason why this wouldn't be allowed, but couldn't a player's contract pay him a significant amount of money for Spring Training participation (FL and AZ both don't have state income tax) and shave that off of their "normal" salary?

Joe Mauer.... $11 mil per year for showing up to Spring training and $11 mil per year for playing regular season games. It would net out the same for Joe, but save the Twins $1M

Maybe I should put this in the "Ask Jack Goin" thread

14. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (12-04-2013)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,218 Times in 728 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amjgt View Post
    Maybe I should put this in the "Ask Jack Goin" thread
    Or, "Ask the Federal Correction Facility".
    Last edited by ashburyjohn; 12-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Or, "Ask the Federal Correction Facility".
    Pffft.... that's a state beef

17. This user likes amjgt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-04-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12