Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Justin Morneau signs

  1. #21
    Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,680
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Like
    1,320
    Liked 1,825 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Good for Justin! I wish him all the best. I always hate seeing long-timers go, but such is the business and I hope he finds success again.

  2. This user likes ChiTownTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-06-2013)

  3. #22
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,080
    Like
    132
    Liked 168 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    You wonder why he would even want to keep playing, one more concussion could affect the rest of his life, he already banked one big contract, how much money does a person need?

    Good luck to him.
    Maybe because he loves it? I hope that's why anyway, and I would be very sympathetic to that answer. I doubt it's just about the money.

    In any case, I wish him the best. I'll have to catch a few Rockies games this year to watch the former MVP and former batting champ.

  4. These 5 users like 70charger's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-06-2013), Hosken Bombo Disco (12-04-2013), jm3319 (12-07-2013), Riverbrian (12-06-2013), Tibs (12-08-2013)

  5. #23
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    252
    Like
    15
    Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Glad that the Twins didn't resign him, I heard too many short sarcastic answers from him during interviews
    I like guys who can play baseball. I've never really cared if they're good at TV interviews.

  6. These 3 users like DJL44's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-06-2013), Hosken Bombo Disco (12-04-2013), jm3319 (12-07-2013)

  7. #24
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    684
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Like
    492
    Liked 199 Times in 120 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by drivlikejehu View Post
    Very bizarre move by Colorado, to be honest. I hope Morneau stays healthy and produces for them, but what is going on with the Rockies? Basically giving Fowler away, and then signing someone they didn't need for what appears to be above-market dollars.
    Todd Helton just retired so someone has to play first base. I think Morneau could definitely hit 25+ homeruns playing in Denver.

  8. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-06-2013)

  9. #25
    Senior Member Triple-A goulik's Avatar
    Posts
    281
    Like
    39
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Maybe because he loves it? I hope that's why anyway, and I would be very sympathetic to that answer. I doubt it's just about the money.

    In any case, I wish him the best. I'll have to catch a few Rockies games this year to watch the former MVP and former batting champ.
    I am 44 and play basketball before work with a group of coworkers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will keep doing it as long as my body allows, hopefully into my 60s. One of the guys is 65. Why would you quit when someone is paying you to do something you love so much? Youth will not come back. Do it while you can.

  10. These 3 users like goulik's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Halsey Hall (12-04-2013), Riverbrian (12-06-2013), snepp (12-04-2013)

  11. #26
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,137
    Like
    1,218
    Liked 1,171 Times in 686 Posts
    • Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 30m
      justin morneau deal with #rockies came in at $12.5M for 2. good to see 1 club friendly deal in the bunch.


      Just to show how perspectives vary. Heyman calls the deal "club friendly" while many of us were shocked that it was for 2 years.


  12. #27
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,662
    Like
    4,695
    Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    I am 44 and play basketball before work with a group of coworkers every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I will keep doing it as long as my body allows, hopefully into my 60s. One of the guys is 65. Why would you quit when someone is paying you to do something you love so much? Youth will not come back. Do it while you can.
    You'd have to call security to keep me out.

    If I was cut... I'd still show up with my glove and bat... Pretending that the cut didn't happen.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

  13. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    glunn (12-06-2013)

  14. #28
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    734
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    • Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS 30m
      justin morneau deal with #rockies came in at $12.5M for 2. good to see 1 club friendly deal in the bunch.

    • Just to show how perspectives vary. Heyman calls the deal "club friendly" while many of us were shocked that it was for 2 years.
    I'm still surprised we didn't bring him back and have Mauer play 3rd. Joe would be perfect over there, and we could of dumped Plouffe. It would be a much better team.

  15. #29
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    I'm still surprised we didn't bring him back and have Mauer play 3rd. Joe would be perfect over there, and we could of dumped Plouffe. It would be a much better team.
    I really think that if the Twins thought Mauer had the range to play third, they'd have tried that out. Even though I'm critical of the Twins front office often, I do think they are aware of the idea of the defensive spectrum and that moving Mauer to third would have been far better than moving him to first.

  16. #30
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,982
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I really think that if the Twins thought Mauer had the range to play third, they'd have tried that out. Even though I'm critical of the Twins front office often, I do think they are aware of the idea of the defensive spectrum and that moving Mauer to third would have been far better than moving him to first.
    A year or two ago, sure. But not in 2014.

    What's the point of moving Mauer to third when Sano has improved drastically and looks to be in Minnesota by mid season?

  17. #31
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    A year or two ago, sure. But not in 2014.

    What's the point of moving Mauer to third when Sano has improved drastically and looks to be in Minnesota by mid season?
    Or at worst, 2015. Good point, too.

  18. #32
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,550
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp A year or two ago, sure. But not in 2014.

    What's the point of moving Mauer to third when Sano has improved drastically and looks to be in Minnesota by mid season?


    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Or at worst, 2015. Good point, too.
    Hire a legit 1B/DH through FA or trade. Have Mauer play 3B until Sano arrives. Once Sano arrives to play 3B in either mid- or late-2014 or 2015, move Mauer to 1B, the previous 1B to DH. Problem solved- offense starts out 2014 better than 2013 instead of worse, as it will now....and then gets successively better as Sano moves into the lineup.

    I really think that if the Twins thought Mauer had the range to play third, they'd have tried that out
    How much range does one really need to play 3B? Especially with a very rangy SS to your immediate left in Florimon? Mauer has always been terrific chasing down foul popups behind the plate and at 1B, no reason to forsee any deficiencies in that area for him at Third. Mauer has all the requisite tools to play the position, and would clearly be a defensive upgrade from Plouffe from Day One, just his length alone would allow him to double the number of chances compared to Plouffe going to his left....perhaps with the exception that he'd have a learning curve relative to Plouffe on charging the bunt and weakly hit balls, but he'd pick that up in no time.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-07-2013 at 06:31 PM.

  19. #33
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Hire a legit 1B/DH through FA or trade. Have Mauer play 3B until Sano arrives. Once Sano arrives to play 3B in either mid- or late-2014 or 2015, move Mauer to 1B, the previous 1B to DH. Problem solved- offense starts out 2014 better than 2013 instead of worse, as it will now....and then gets successively better as Sano moves into the lineup.



    How much range does one really need to play 3B? Especially with a very rangy SS to your immediate left in Florimon? Mauer has always been terrific chasing down foul popups behind the plate and at 1B, no reason to forsee any deficiencies in that area for him at Third. Mauer has all the requisite tools to play the position, and would clearly be a defensive upgrade from Plouffe from Day One, just his length alone would allow him to double the number of chances compared to Plouffe going to his left....perhaps with the exception that he'd have a learning curve relative to Plouffe on charging the bunt and weakly hit balls, but he'd pick that up in no time.
    Jokin, I love the idea in principle, but do you legitimately think the Twins are completely ignorant of this possibility and haven't even discussed or evaluated it?

  20. This user likes Alex's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    Tibs (12-08-2013)

  21. #34
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Posts
    567
    Like
    69
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Canadien rediscovers power in Rocky Mountains - book it.

    We gave them a batting champ, how about an RBI champ to boot.

  22. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    734
    Like
    56
    Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    The point would be Plouffe would be gone, and Mauer would play a better 3rd base. When Sano is ready, he could move to first.

  23. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jokin (12-08-2013)

  24. #36
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,982
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Why would the Twins spend so much time and effort jerking around their best player for what will probably amount to three, maybe four months at third base?

    The ship has sailed on Mauer at third.

  25. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    stringer bell (12-08-2013)

  26. #37
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,550
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Why would the Twins spend so much time and effort jerking around their best player for what will probably amount to three, maybe four months at third base?

    The ship has sailed on Mauer at third.
    This does make a huge assumption that Sano can stick at 3B long-term. His body is still changing and he very well could end up with a body more like David Ortiz than David Justice (which is his current body-type).

    But I agree, that ship has sailed, and the Twins offense will suffer for it in 2014.

  27. #38
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,982
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    This does make a huge assumption that Sano can stick at 3B long-term. His body is still changing and he very well could end up with a body more like David Ortiz than David Justice (which is his current body-type).

    But I agree, that ship has sailed, and the Twins offense will suffer for it in 2014.
    Every report I've seen on Sano in the past 12 months has talked about improvement on defense and the likelihood that he'll stay at third, at least for awhile.

    By the time Sano proves he can't play third, Mauer will probably be too old for the position anyway.

    So, at the end of the day, we're still talking about 3-4 months, tops. A non-issue.

    Besides, there's no reason to think Mauer would be better defensively than Plouffe, particularly in his first year or two. Trevor has been an infielder his entire life. Mauer has exactly zero career innings at third base.

  28. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    stringer bell (12-08-2013)

  29. #39
    Twins News Team MVP
    Posts
    6,550
    Like
    827
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Halsey Hall View Post
    The point would be Plouffe would be gone, and Mauer would play a better 3rd base. When Sano is ready, he could move to first.
    Yep. I've proposed as such previously. Your defense is better, your offense is better. The only thing you don't fully utilize is Sano's arm and the "wasted" years of training to turn Sano into a third baseman, still worth the trade-off, net-net.

  30. #40
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,982
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    47
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Why is everyone so confident that Mauer would be a better third baseman than Miguel Sano?

    The only dig against Sano is his (potential) size. His athleticism has never been in question; he's been playing the position for years and is in his early 20s.

    On the other hand, Mauer is in his early 30s and has zero innings at the position and previous to 2012, zero innings any ANY position other than catcher.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.