Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Miguel Sano

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If, indeed, Sano did "pimp" his HR, then I agree with Seth... that needs to be corrected. That said, what I really did like and would like to see more of at the Twins level, was the "I'm not going to take crap from you" attitude and the "We've got your back" reaction from Sano's teammates.

Pimping the HR is childish and hopefully something Sano grows out of, but if, for whatever reason, an opposing player gets in your face, I want to see a guy stand up and I want to see teammates stand up with him.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 349 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    If, indeed, Sano did "pimp" his HR, then I agree with Seth... that needs to be corrected. That said, what I really did like and would like to see more of at the Twins level, was the "I'm not going to take crap from you" attitude and the "We've got your back" reaction from Sano's teammates.

Pimping the HR is childish and hopefully something Sano grows out of, but if, for whatever reason, an opposing player gets in your face, I want to see a guy stand up and I want to see teammates stand up with him.
    Agree with what you've got here, JC!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I wasn't there, but we have to remember this article was written from the perspective of the opposing team. I would never encourage a player to show up a pitcher after a home run. A prime example would be Carlos Guillen, showboating around the bases agasint Jared Weaver last season. Under no cirmcumstances should that be tolerated, at any level of baseball.

With that said, with the pace of your ordinary baseball game, you know things are said between dugouts throughout the game. It is a big moment for a player to hit a 2 run dinger in the 9th to take the lead. What is the appropriate amount of time to round the bases in such a situation. I'm sure it is percieved to be a different amount of time whether you are on the celebrating side or if you are in the opposing dugout. I guess we leave it to the Beloit coaching staff to be addressed or not.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I wasn't there, but we have to remember this article was written from the perspective of the opposing team. I would never encourage a player to show up a pitcher after a home run. A prime example would be Carlos Guillen, showboating around the bases agasint Jared Weaver last season. Under no cirmcumstances should that be tolerated, at any level of baseball.

With that said, with the pace of your ordinary baseball game, you know things are said between dugouts throughout the game. It is a big moment for a player to hit a 2 run dinger in the 9th to take the lead. What is the appropriate amount of time to round the bases in such a situation. I'm sure it is percieved to be a different amount of time whether you are on the celebrating side or if you are in the opposing dugout. I guess we leave it to the Beloit coaching staff to be addressed or not.
    I agree. The other thing you have to keep in mind is that the incident started when the Kernel catcher made a comment to Sano as he crossed home plate. If you've listened to the mlb.com interview Seth imbedded in this thread at the beginning, it's pretty clear that the guy has very, very limited command of the English language. I doubt Sano even understood what Baker said to him, but I'm sure the tone of voice wasn't exactly congratulatory. So maybe Sano just reacts to an opposing player getting snippy with him.

Anyway... minor league baseball is about teaching lessons and I'm sure if there was a lesson to be taught in this, the Snapper coaches will do so.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Sano was 2-4 tonight with his 9th home run. He is now hitting .306/.426/.658 (1.084) on the season. In his last seven games, he is 12-27 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI. On the other side of the ball, he does have 10 errors on the season as well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Sano was 2-4 tonight with his 9th home run. He is now hitting .306/.426/.658 (1.084) on the season. In his last seven games, he is 12-27 with 3 doubles, 3 home runs and 11 RBI. On the other side of the ball, he does have 10 errors on the season as well.
    It took a-rod until the majors to gain much glove

Whatever happened to Miguel changing his last name to Jean instead of Sano? I haven't once heard him referred to as Miguel Jean since he said he was changing it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsArmChairGM_Jon View Post
    Whatever happened to Miguel changing his last name to Jean instead of Sano? I haven't once heard him referred to as Miguel Jean since he said he was changing it.
    It hasn't been a topic for almost two years. It just kind of went away.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Happy 19th Birthday to Miguel Sano!!!
    Heading into his birthday, Sano is hitting .298/.409/.645 (1.055 OPS) with 9 doubles, 2 triples and 10 home runs. In 144 plate appearances, he has 20 walks and 40 strikeouts.

I saw Sano is not playing in Beloit's game today. Does anyone know if it is a regular day off or if there is something else up? I don't know if he's missed a game yet this year so that could be it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enge0280 View Post
    I saw Sano is not playing in Beloit's game today. Does anyone know if it is a regular day off or if there is something else up? I don't know if he's missed a game yet this year so that could be it.
    It is the first time he has not played this season for the Snappers. As of now, not hearing anything more than a day off, but it's intriguing enough that I'm putting out some feelers to see if there's any more to it.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Just a day off for Sano today.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Cannot wait to see this guy play someday.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MWM-

Come on down to Beloit!. But seriously, he could be very special in a couple of years in the majors. A Ball is a long way from the Majors with most players. He could push that, but you just want to make sure you get it right. This one you don't want to blow up on you.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 122 Posts
    From baseball america's Prospect Hot Sheet-
    "The top four prospects on the preseason Top 100 list are all currently in the big leagues. That means there will be plenty of spaces of new guys in the Top 10 for our midseason prospect update. One of the most likely candidates to move up is Twins 3B Miguel Sano. He ranked No. 18 before the season, but the biggest knock against him was that he had yet to play a game in full-season ball. That's no longer a concern—he's leading the Midwest League in home runs (10), slugging percentage (.645) and OPS (1.055). Sano went 8-for-28 (.286/.323/.714) with three home runs this week, pretty impressive for one of the youngest players in the league."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    On Sunday (5/13), Sano hit a 3-run blast that led the Snappers to a 3-1 win over Clinton at Pohlman Field. On the season, he is now hitting .292/.408/.646 (1.054) with 9 doubles, 2 triples, 11 home runs and 35 RBI. According to Director of Media Relations, Chrissy Scaffidi, Sano leads the MWL in HR, RBI, Slugging Percentage (.646) and Total Bases (84). In 152 plate appearances, he has 22 walks and 40 strikeouts. He has cut down his K-rate the last week or two, and as it approaches 4.0 (PA/K), I'd feel more comfortable with him being promoted. Still hoping he gets promoted July 4th.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    I saw Sano on Saturday. He was 0-3 (a little sad I missed him by a day as he hit a homerun on Sunday). I'm no scout but I thought I'd share some of my thoughts. The ball does indeed jump off his bat. His first at bat, he hit a hard line drive right at the right fielder. His final at bat was a GIDP, but it was an absolute smash right at the shortstop. I'm not trying to exaggerate, but its just obvious that he hits the ball hard. The scouting report in the program says he has 'easy power' and I think that describes what I saw. I don't think that those who are concerned about the Twins ruining his power by telling him he needs to use all fields need to worry too much. He did not appear to be set on pulling the ball and it looks like he has natural power to all fields. Of his 11 hrs - 6 to left, 1 - left center, 1 - center, 3 right.
    As for the concerns with him:

Defense: He committed an ugly error, which was by all accounts a footwork problem. He literally stepped on his own foot as he fielded the ball going to his left and then still tried to throw to first off-balance sailing it to the fence. I think he has pretty good hands to handle the infield. He definitely has the arm for third, but certainly needs to work on his footwork and approach to the ball.

Plate Discipline: He saw 16 pitches in his four plate appearances. He didn't chase anything out of the zone. He also swung at all but one strike that he saw (didn't swing and miss). In my opinion, none of the pitches that he swung at were pitchers pitches and seemed hittable strikes so I can't blame him for swinging. He drew a walk in his second plate appearance and popped-out on a first pitch strike in his next at-bat. I'm not really drawing any conclusion from the day about his plate discipline but just thought I'd share what I saw.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Phil Mackey of 1500espn wrote a nice article on Sano this morning. Read the article, but this line says a lot to me:

"He'll have a chance," general manager Terry Ryan said Sunday. "I'm not sure he's quite ready, but when he's ready. ... I hope we do move him (up). I think all of us would like to see him move (up)."

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Miguel Sano got another night off tonight in Beloit. It was the second straight Friday that he didn't play. He did pop out in a pinch-hitting spot in tonight's game. In his last ten games, he is now 6-34 (.176). However, he has struck out just six times in those 38 plate appearances (4 walks). I get people's wish for him to get rushed, but he just turned 19... he's going to have streaks like this.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Last night, Miguel Sano was 0-4 and committed his 15th error. He is 1-27 in his last 8 games. He is 3-36 since turning 19 (11 games).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast