Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miguel Sano

Liked 204 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On Thursday night, Miguel Sano singled to lead off the 10th inning for Beloit. The single ended an 0-24 slump. Since then, he is 3-9 and hopefully that streak (which was also 1-39) is over. Tonight, he was 2-4 with a sacrifice fly. He also committed his 18th error.

Blog Entries
    Sano was 0-6 today until the 12th inning when he drilled his 12th home run, a 3-run blast.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Sano was 0-6 today until the 12th inning when he drilled his 12th home run, a 3-run blast.
    Well, it's hard to go 0-7. :-)

Blog Entries
    In his second at bat today, Miguel Sano hit his 13th home run. HR in back-to-back games.

OK. It's officially fine to talk about promoting him again.
    Andrew Walter
    Twins Fan From Afar
    Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
    http://twinsfanfromafar.blogspot.com
    Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Nate Roberts and Rosario also went deep. Big bats out today for the Snappers.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    About every 14 AB's Sano homers, last year in the Appy League it was just over 13. The MWL is NOT a home run friendly league. Amazing stuff. GIANCARLO STANTON in the Sally League- 12 ab's for every homer. He hit 39 that year in 468 AB's. I don't have the stats here but that league is more of a haven for hitters then what we see up here. So Sano's numbers are not inflated by the league, if anything he is probably being held back a bit.

Blog Entries
    Saw Sano play the last two nights. I'll be logging the three day, two game trip here at Twins Daily, including some pictures. I'm hoping to even post a little video. On Friday night in Quad Cities, he was 0-3 with two walks and two strikeouts. Last night, in the first inning, he crushed the ball in his first at bat and I have no idea how the pitcher caught it, other than self-defense. In his next at bat, he roped a line drive to the left center field gap for a double. THen he hit a hard line drive single to left field. He stole a base. He made a couple of nice plays and showed off a very strong arm... but he also threw one up the line that the 1B had to go get and make a tag, and he dropped a pop up last night for his 20th error of the season. It was with two outs and two unearned runs scored.

So many who haven't seen him play say to move him up. I am yet to read one person who has seen him play in person say that he should move up. And now I count myself among that group. I've seen him play (just two games) and clearly he is where he should be. In my mind, he's probably even more of an exciting prospect now that I've seen him, yet, I totally feel that he is where he should be.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Seth, why is he still at 3B? It is pretty clear he will be in RF or 1B, isn't it? Why do they keep guys at positions where they know they won't play? Or, do you think there is any chance he is at 3B?
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    I think there is a chance he stays there and it's a position for power, and it's a position of need. He'll need to work hard if he wants to stay there, and certainly the coaches are pushing him. People with the Twins think that there is a chance he can stay at third. I'd want to keep him there as long as possible.

Liked 1,151 Times in 521 Posts
    Keeping any player in low a ball for defensive purposes is flat stupid. You move players up in the low minors based on their ability to handle the pitching at the level they're at. There is nothing to be learned about playing third base at Beloit that can't be learned at Ft Myers. Nothing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Keeping any player in low a ball for defensive purposes is flat stupid. You move players up in the low minors based on their ability to handle the pitching at the level they're at. There is nothing to be learned about playing third base at Beloit that can't be learned at Ft Myers. Nothing.
    I don't completely disagree (would wouldn't say it's "flat stupid" though for sure. Sano struggles with breaking pitches. And that would be made even more clear if he moved up a level where suddenly the breaking pitches are even sharper.

Liked 1,151 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I don't completely disagree (would wouldn't say it's "flat stupid" though for sure. Sano struggles with breaking pitches. And that would be made even more clear if he moved up a level where suddenly the breaking pitches are even sharper.
    In which case, fine. If he has issues at the plate, leave him there. I obviously haven't seen him play, and even if I had, making judgements based on a couple games is pretty iffy. I'm saying his defense shouldn't hold any promotion up at this point of his career. When/if he's proven he can handle the pitching at this level, there is no benefit to leaving him there.

Blog Entries
    Miguel Sano was one of seven Snappers players named to the Midwest League All-Star game.

Blog Entries
    Sano today ripped his 15th home run of the year. It was a grand slam in the Snappers' six-run fifth inning today. Sano was 2-5 in the game to raise his average to .243.

I went to the game in Beloit last night. Sano looks awful at 3B. Every throw was 8 feet or higher, he has a stutter step on every grounder hit to him, and looks likehe uses an OF glove, as he had issues getting the ball out of his glove each time. I would have thpought major issues like these would have been worked out by now.

Quote Originally Posted by lecroy24fan View Post
    I went to the game in Beloit last night. Sano looks awful at 3B. Every throw was 8 feet or higher, he has a stutter step on every grounder hit to him, and looks likehe uses an OF glove, as he had issues getting the ball out of his glove each time. I would have thpought major issues like these would have been worked out by now.
    Illusion shattered...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Take some deep breaths. This is Low A Ball. Everyone is working on something, some things are major pieces like throwing the ball within current area code. Others more subtle, yesterday I saw Paul Molitor pulling Tyler Grimes aside after a trip around the bases and talk with him. My guess is it was a few tips from a master, but it could have been about some hot single girl behind the dug out. (Hold on I was in Beloit...accessing memory on that. Nope not a smokin hot babe in 40 miles.) But everyone is working on something. Sano is working on playing defense and not going all Pedro Cerrano on breaking balls. (Jo-bo is does not help with the breaking ball Miguel.) Could he someday be a 1st baseman, sure. But 3d would be better with his abilities. HE WILL NOT SOLVE THE ISSUES AT TARGET FIELD THIS YEAR OR NEXT!

Chill dude. I am not expecting him to be here any earlier than 2014. But the mistakes I saw are inexcusable. When the throw is the same every time then something isn't right. Nobody should be stutter stepping on every ground ball, and really on any play.

But my biggest beef is that he's using a glove way too big for an IF. Somebody has to be seeing this stuff.

He had two errors in the game you saw, if I remember correctly. While he has a ton of errors this year, that would probably qualify as one of his worst games, defensively. From what I've heard from others is that he is capable of playing the position but needs a lot of fine tuning. He's going to improve but he may never be able to play 3rd at the Major League level. He's barely 19 and his defense has never been his strong point so give it time for him to learn.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast