Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Japanese Posting Rules?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

New Japanese Posting Rules?

I know they have not finalized any deal yet. The question I would answered is how many years must a player sign a contract for? If it would go worst team (Houston) a pitcher like Tanaka if forced to sign with the winning bid what would stop the player from saying "fine I will be an Astro but I will only sign a 1yr deal and become a free agent. Then the player could go to NY or LA where they want to be and get a huge deal.
    They should also make it if let's say Houston posted $20M and won the rights to sign Tanaka they should have to surrender their 1st round pick in the up coming draft. So every team would move up 1 slot in the draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 196 Times in 124 Posts
    I think sacrificing a first round pick is unfair to losing teams. I like this proposed system but think the fee will likely need to be higher.

How about if the high bid can't get a deal done the next qualified team gets a shot at working out a deal, though they would be required to offer an average annual salary at least $15% higher than the first team did.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,248 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    How about if the high bid can't get a deal done the next qualified team gets a shot at working out a deal, though they would be required to offer an average annual salary at least $15% higher than the first team did.
    With that rule in place, why would the player ever accept the first offer?

4. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (12-04-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    If they come over as a free agent it is whatever they want. When they post it is the 6 years.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Doesnt the new rules say If there is a tie the player can negociate with every team that bid the same amount? so the Rich get richer and the twins get , well we got our health

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    If they come over as a free agent it is whatever they want. When they post it is the 6 years.
    I thought the Twins paid a posting on Nishi and his deal was not for 6 years.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Because the next team might not offer +15%.

It will be interesting to see how the rules actually play out on this.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Because the next team might not offer +15%.
    Out of curiosity was there a reason behind choosing 15%? What would you think about the percentage increase of offer required being based off of the the number of wins separating teams rather than how many teams have had a chance?

It sounds like the idea of trying to help the losing/small market teams isn't doing well but it would be pretty neat.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLBTR- "Under the latest proposal, while the maximum posting fee is $20MM, players appear to be free to sign with any team that ties for the highest bid, the Los Angeles Times' Bill Shaikin tweets. If that's the case, Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan points out, it will make Tanaka a de facto free agent, and he will likely receive a large contract."

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    MLBTR- "Under the latest proposal, while the maximum posting fee is $20MM, players appear to be free to sign with any team that ties for the highest bid, the Los Angeles Times' Bill Shaikin tweets. If that's the case, Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan points out, it will make Tanaka a de facto free agent, and he will likely receive a large contract."
    i think that makes more sense. Then the player can get more of the money the money the player gets will count against payroll like any other contract. Yankees, dodgers etc will still have the upper hand but a mid market team could still take a shot if they felt it was a fairly sure thing and the player could choose to take less money if he wanted to play some particular place.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So....we could still get him. Technically....I would like it better if like only a certain number of teams could negociate no matter how many ponied up the winning bid. With some kind of lotto system based on winning %.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre75275 View Post
    So....we could still get him. Technically....I would like it better if like only a certain number of teams could negociate no matter how many ponied up the winning bid. With some kind of lotto system based on winning %.
    That's a little out in left field thinking...Just a little...

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Because 15% is a hefty raise and there's no promise he'd get a better deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins best friend View Post
    Out of curiosity was there a reason behind choosing 15%? What would you think about the percentage increase of offer required being based off of the the number of wins separating teams rather than how many teams have had a chance?

It sounds like the idea of trying to help the losing/small market teams isn't doing well but it would be pretty neat.
    Well I pulled it out of my butt. I figure it should be high enough that the players can't simply turn down a small market offer and run to the Yankees. I don't care too much how it works but I do think it shouldn't intentionally aid the big markets as this new deal seems to. It was just a random thought, I must confess I wasn't invited to the negotiating table for some reason.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts

New NPB/MLB Posting Rules

MLB and Japanese baseball came to an agreement on the posting system and basically every team that's willing to pony up 20m can try and sign Tanaka, essentially making it a bidding war and guaranteeing that the largest revenue clubs will get the best Japanese talent.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ng-system.html
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 12-05-2013 at 09:17 AM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 771 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I actually applaud this move. Spending $50m+ just to negotiate with a guy is absurd. Treat these players more like free agents... Or better yet, figure out a way to incorporate them into the draft or include them as international signing money.

18. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (12-05-2013), johnnydakota (12-05-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, sounds like NPB went to bat for their players. Top bid is capped at 20m and player gets to negotiate with all the winners.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...ng-system.html

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I actually applaud this move. Spending $50m+ just to negotiate with a guy is absurd. Treat these players more like free agents... Or better yet, figure out a way to incorporate them into the draft or include them as international signing money.
    As a labor over management guy, I generally agree with you (esp with the idea of putting the players in some sort of draft). But this seemed to be an area where the Twins could have made relatively cheap upgrades by simply out scouting the competition. Now, that ability has been lessened. (And I know the Twins haven't done a great job scouting in NPB yet).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 177 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope I'm not nitpicking, but can we please stop using vague, generic thread titles? Unless the thread is intended to vague and generic, I suppose. Otherwise, moderators have my blessing to rename threads to their specific topics.

"Well, this sucks" could refer to any number of Twins-related topics right now.

22. These 2 users like spycake's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-05-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-05-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 177 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    As a labor over management guy, I generally agree with you (esp with the idea of putting the players in some sort of draft). But this seemed to be an area where the Twins could have made relatively cheap upgrades by simply out scouting the competition. Now, that ability has been lessened. (And I know the Twins haven't done a great job scouting in NPB yet).
    The Twins weren't going to compete for Tanaka in the old system either. And they can still sign guys like Nishioka (hopefully better!) with no posting fee or a minimal one.

Not sure what the problem is?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast