Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Hughes on his decision to sign with the Twins

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Phil Hughes on his decision to sign with the Twins

The Minnesota Twins will formally introduce Phil Hughes as their newest members at 4 PM on Thursday but NY Daily's Mark Feinsand spoke to Hughes regarding his decision to sign with the Twins. Here are some of the highlights:

Did Hughes have other offers?

According to a major-league source, the Mariners made Hughes a two-year offer with a club option for a third year, but Seattle refused to guarantee the third year. The Angels, who play roughly 10 minutes from Hughesí family home, also came after him with what the source described as ďa nice one-year deal.Ē
    Why opt for a three-year deal instead of a one-year value-builder?

ďIíve played my whole career on a year-to-year basis, so to finally have a little bit of security was really appealing,Ē Hughes said. ďObviously I would have done (a one-year deal) if that was all that was out there, but there was interest from teams about bringing me in long-term. That was something I really wanted, so I decided to go in that direction.Ē

What went wrong in New York?

ďI donít know if it was the pressure of the contract or just the pressure of New York,Ē Hughes said, still seemingly searching for answers. ďIíve dealt with that before, but sometimes if you start off poor, it can have a tendency to snowball on you Ė especially in that market. Struggling mechanically, it just seemed like I couldnít get on that track and get myself going again. It was a perfect storm of bad things going on that I couldnít get myself out of."

How does he feel about moving to Target Field, a pitcher's park?

ďIím not really sure what kind of impact it will have,Ē Hughes said of his move. ďI know Iíve pitched well in the Central division in the past. Iíve had a few good starts at Target Field; itís obviously a bigger stadium than Yankee Stadium, which canít hurt.

ďBut Iím not just counting on the stadium helping me out. Iím 27; I feel I can still improve and get better. Thatís more of my focus than just pitching in a bigger ballpark and getting lucky.Ē

2. This user likes Parker Hageman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there a live feed for the press conference?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it will be on FSN at 4 PM central.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also on the Official Twins page per the @Twins twitter account

Blog Entries
    I misread my Pacific coast clock and thought it was already underway.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    ďI know Iíve pitched well in the Central division in the past. Iíve had a few good starts at Target Field; itís obviously a bigger stadium than Yankee Stadium, which canít hurt.
    This comment about pitching well against the Central got me looking at hist stats, and I was pleasantly surprised. Hughes is widely known to have a 4.54 ERA overall, 4.90 ERA at Yankee Stadia, and 4.10 on the road.

By my quick (hopefully accurate) figuring, Hughes has a 3.84 ERA against his new AL Central competition (Chi Cle Det & KC). That's a very small sample size, but it's promising (and some of those came in Yankee Stadia so even that could be exaggerated).

More promising to me is that 44% of his innings have been against AL East teams, and he has a 5.10 ERA against them. Eliminate those, and he has a 4.10 ERA against everyone else.

If you give him a little benefit for getting out of Yankee Stadia, a little more benefit for pitching in Target Field, a little more benefit for getting many fewer starts against AL East teams, a little more benefit for getting many more starts against AL Central teams, then things start to get interesting. Not all of those effecs may be legitimate, but it's easy to piece together an argument for him sneaking in a sub 4 ERA performance. It certainly is a move that has a lot of nice signs.

8. These 3 users like Craig in MN's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013), jokin (12-05-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-06-2013)

A bunch of road games at Fenway probably don't help a pitcher's stats much, either...

Blog Entries
    The short clip I saw so far doesn't look like a man who feels confident - sighing and groping for words. I think the coaching staff has some work cut out for them starting in February.

Liked 1,201 Times in 698 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    The short clip I saw so far doesn't look like a man who feels confident - sighing and groping for words. I think the coaching staff has some work cut out for them starting in February.
    Have you watched him over the years? I haven't so I don't know his usual demeanor. Seemed diffident during the press conference as opposed to the smiling, confident Nolasco but for all I know, that may be typical for him.

P.S. Let's hope that his taking Scott Ullger's number is good for both of them. Of course, if Ullger wanted to retire, that would be okay, too.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 12-05-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Have you watched him over the years? I haven't so I don't know his usual demeanor.
    Fair enough; I debated even throwing that out there, it's not really more than a first impression, and I can't pretend I know what goes on between his ears.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    "shellshock" comes to mind

14. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig in MN View Post
    If you give him a little benefit for getting out of Yankee Stadia, a little more benefit for pitching in Target Field, a little more benefit for getting many fewer starts against AL East teams, a little more benefit for getting many more starts against AL Central teams, then things start to get interesting. Not all of those effecs may be legitimate, but it's easy to piece together an argument for him sneaking in a sub 4 ERA performance. It certainly is a move that has a lot of nice signs.
    If Puxantony Phil can get his ERA anywhere near 4, even his away from Yankee stadium 4.10 would be a vast improvement for him and the Twins. The more I look at this signing, the more I like it. "Hughes your Daddy" might not be a front end starter, but I like his chances of putting up much better numbers in 2014.

16. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    I think this could prove to be a value signing. Lots of positives about him. Seems like a smart dude with a strong work ethic. Wonder if it's something about NYY with these 1st round pitchers. Joba didn't pan out. Hughes hasn't. Ian Kennedy figured it out AFTER he left NYY. Let's hope!
    Till I Collapse

18. This user likes InfraRen's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 616 Times in 343 Posts
    You'd think this press conference would be about as unnerving as your average clubhouse media pile in New York. Strange.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 128 Posts
    He could have simply developed an aversion to talking to the press from his years in New York. Once something like that becomes a bit ingrained, it takes awhile to overcome. Even if he objectively knows the Minnesota press is a different animal, it might be awhile before he is relaxed talking to reporters.

21. This user likes D. Hocking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    It's always fun to speculate, but I'll reserve judgment for when he takes the field after pitcher and catchers report
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

23. These 2 users like B Richard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-05-2013), glunn (12-05-2013)

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    If you have a change, take a listen back to his talk with Mackey and Reusse at 1500. Much more natural.

Heck. He might had to go to the bathroom during the press conference.

25. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 333 Times in 128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    If you have a change, take a listen back to his talk with Mackey and Reusse at 1500. Much more natural.

Heck. He might had to go to the bathroom during the press conference.
    He could have simply been distracted and/or mezmerized by the Sid's circa 1975 tape recorder.

27. These 2 users like D. Hocking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013), Riverbrian (12-05-2013)

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Gets even better, here is this tweet from Mike Berardino.

No wonder Hughes looked kinda stressed in that presser... Plus this speaks volumes for the First Scout.

29. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Liked 1,201 Times in 698 Posts
    I thought he sounded more confident in his one-on-one interview on FSN than in the presser itself (but the questions were pretty much re-runs).

And yes, its a shocker that TR never met/talked to him before today.

31. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast