Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Twins DFA Liam Hendriks

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Twins DFA Liam Hendriks

Really did not see this coming, thought there were others on the 40-man who would go before him
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Not a big surprise but I was hoping he'd make it. Hope he gets another chance.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm shocked but trust it was the right decision.

Hendriks just seemed like a guy who needed some more big league innings to work things out.

Actually... Confidence was what he needed in my opinion.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Actually... Confidence was what he needed in my opinion.
    An out pitch might had serve him well too.

Interesting fact, the 3 SP leaders in K% in the Twins' rotation are gone now (DeVries, Hendriks, Pelfrey)
    -----

5. These 4 users like Thrylos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013), johnnydakota (12-05-2013), notoriousgod71 (12-05-2013), Riverbrian (12-05-2013)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm completely shocked. He's the youngest of the pitchers on the 40 man roster who could have been removed by a bit. He's had AAA success. He's got the velocity and the 2ndary pitches. I hope he does get claimed and turns out great. Of course, he could clear waivers and go back to Rochester.

7. These 4 users like Seth Stohs's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Don't Feed the Greed Guy (12-05-2013), glunn (12-05-2013), johnnydakota (12-05-2013), raindog (12-07-2013)

Surprising news. I expected Hendriks to be one of the long shots to make the rotation.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Weird. There are a few other candidates for such a move . . .

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess I don't mind it at all. I mean, who's going to carry him on their 40? He hasn't even had moderate success in the bigs.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I really hope he clears waivers. I'd much rather have dumped Johnson, but this strikes me as a move of frustration by the Twins. I think they've just run out of ways to try and get him to translate his minor league success to the bigs.

12. These 2 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (12-05-2013), glunn (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who are some of the guys that you would have placed on waivers before Hendriks? I'm not arguing with anyone who thinks someone else should have gone before Liam because I agree.

Chances he doesn't get claimed? I'd say 5%. Even with his bad numbers in the majors, he is just 25 years old and has a great track record in the minors.

14. This user likes Chance's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Who are some of the guys that you would have placed on waivers before Hendriks?
    Albers
    Colabello
    Mastroianni
    Fryer
    Thielbar
    Diamond

(but I'd be on the phones trying to work a trade for the last 2 and Fien before waivers)
    -----

16. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm completely shocked. He's the youngest of the pitchers on the 40 man roster who could have been removed by a bit. He's had AAA success. He's got the velocity and the 2ndary pitches. I hope he does get claimed and turns out great. Of course, he could clear waivers and go back to Rochester.
    If he does get claimed and then turns into a decent starter, what would the fans say about the coaching situation with the Twins?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I could be wrong, but I would guess the Twins have pretty well set their pecking order for starting pitchers and will, over time clear out any excess. They did this a number of years ago where they only had 12-13 at ST. I do expect other small moves, and wouldn't be surprised if Diamond, Worley, or Denuno are traded because they are out of options or ST performance.

I think Kris Johnson is set. First Scout spent 4 days in Indianapolis working the Morneau trade and Johnson is the lefthanded starting pitcher he ultimately ended up with and has 3 options. Len III said just before he left, he was looking for starting pitching that could debut at Target Field in 2014.

Would rather have seen colabello or macaroni dumped.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like this at all. I mean, obviously the odds of him ever really becoming something are long, but I feel like he had more upside than a few guys on the 40. I always felt like if he ever got the chance to consistently start, he could have worked through some of the issues he had when he was up. I would be shocked if he passes through waivers. Someone will pick him up, and I hope he gets a chance to sink or swim in the bigs.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

21. These 2 users like Jdosen's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013), johnnydakota (12-05-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    First Scout spent 4 days in Indianapolis
    Second prize was a week. Badum-tisssh.

23. These 4 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-06-2013), Briley (12-05-2013), mike wants wins (12-06-2013), USAFChief (12-05-2013)

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm content with this move, but I wish the best for Hendriks' future. I haven't seen anything that gives me any promise that he would be a good starter in the time he has. Orioles will probably nab him.

25. This user likes YourHouseIsMyHouse's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (12-05-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I am surprised by this move as well but maybe I shouldn't be. As far as pitchers go Diamond and Worley had shown something at the MLB level. Even slow pitch Albers had some good games in September so I guess you throw the guy (Hendricks) who never really put it together on the big stage under the bus and see if someone else likes him. I guess it makes sense. It just seems like the Twins typically give the younger guys every possible chance to succeed and this move doesn't seem to follow that trend. The Twins really must not be believers in his potential.

27. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Albers
    Colabello
    Mastroianni
    Fryer
    Thielbar
    Diamond

(but I'd be on the phones trying to work a trade for the last 2 and Fien before waivers)
    Mastroianni and Thielbar, maybe. But not the rest. Too much potential upside.

I guess I'm surprised too because I think there are people who are probably more deserving, however I guess I get the move. Even though Hendriks never really got an extended look (30 total games between 3 years), he never was able to really get anything going at the Major League Level. Plus the Twins 40 man is currently pretty full on the right handed starting pitcher front with Nolasco, Hughes, Correia, Deduno, Gibson, and Worley.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast