Thread: Mudcat Grant

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mudcat Grant

Found this great story/picture about Mudcat Grant on Facebook:

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=532042450196432&set=a.2860008281339 30.66218.281993958534617&type=1

He showed me the house of the old Lacoochee sheriff who saved him from an angry gang of whites. ďI was the first black he let in his house. I refused to walk in the back door and he had to let me in the front. The town couldnít believe it. He was a baseball fan.Ē

2. This user likes Twins Daily Admin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Pretty cool.

Liked 357 Times in 203 Posts
    Thanks so much for the link. Great story.

I remember the win in Game 6 .... and the crushing disappointment of Game 7. The thrill of racing home from school to watch the World Series in DAYLIGHT.

The 65 Twins were the start of nearly 50 years of a love of baseball and the Twins for me ... land Mudcat was a big part of that team.

5. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Longdistancetwins (12-17-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    Back in the days when Mudcat was in better health he's come to Ft Myers for the Fantasy Camp.
    One year I had the privelidge to sit and talk with him for a good hour. He's quite the guy. He told alot
    of stories. One was something like this: His daughter called and told him her his granddaughter was sneeking out at night through the window and wouldn't stop. He said, ok, I'll take care of it. So that night he took a folding chair with him, drove over and parked down the street. He set up the chair down the side of the house with her window on it and sat. Sure enough, finally, out she came.
    She never tried that again! His book, The Black Aces is well worth reading. I paid him for one and he signed it and sent it to me. Really a nice guy. And I'm so happy I got to attend the '65 WS, and then eventually meet him.
    Last edited by Halsey Hall; 12-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.

7. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (12-17-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A nickname you don't forget.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the more memorable characters from my baseball youth.
    Me and my friends were always big fans.

Seemed like you were going to win when Mudcat was pitching. I know that 21 wins in '65 was his career high, but that year was magical, and as far as my childhood is concerned, Mudcat always wins 21 games every year.

Even now.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

10. This user likes Oldgoat_MN's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (12-17-2013)