Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Doumit doesn't want to catch any more?

Doumit doesn't want to catch any more?

Just heard on MPR Howard Sinker said that Doumit told the Twins he doesn't want to catch anymore. Surprised me, even with the concussions. Explains the catcher chasing though...

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    That means he's a DH he certainly should never play in the outfield.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

What are the odds he gets traded in the next couple weeks? Can we get more than a pair of batting gloves in return?

4. This user likes Major Leauge Ready's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Trautmann13 (12-06-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll take the pair of batting gloves. I like Doumit in a lot of ways, but he's really cluttering up our roster right now, especially if he can't catch. Younger guys need those AB's at DH and outfield.

6. This user likes ericchri's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-06-2013)

Oh come on guys, Weird-eyes Doumit is worth at least 2 balls and a bat. (BTW, he really is a problem guy and as much as I like him, its time for him to go)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    As with Mauer, a player needs to do what is right for his health and future. The difference with Doumit is that it might mean he's no longer has much value, and unfortunately doesn't belong on the roster.

9. This user likes Alex's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

minn55441 (12-06-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
    That kinda stinks, his value really comes in that he can at least be a halfways decent catcher. I use the term halfways loosely.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I heard this also, and I thought it was strange that Sinker is the only that I've ever heard say it, especially, since I think Bernadino talked with someone with the Twins this week and got the impression that Doumit was going to be a catching. I think Sinker knows that Doumit didn't catch at the end of the year and is just assuming that will continue. Doumit himself said that he plans to catch in 2014.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did Mauer set a bad precedent?

Maybe Doumit's just trying to bow out gracefully from the position before being officially forced out?

I mean, the writing was definitely on the wall, from being phased out of the position a bit in 2013, to the pursuit of FA catchers, to endorsements of Pinto when traditionally, Doumit would have been the logical option to assume the job after Mauer.

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 149 Posts
    I remember reading somewhere last summer after his concussion, someone saying he would not catch the rest of the year, and implying that he could very well not catch again period - and that Domit himself did not want to catch again. It was from a pretty unofficial source, so nothing you would want to rely on, but it at least seemed somewhat credible.

The Twins (and probably most sports teams) are pretty good at underplaying or underreporting the ramifications of an injury. Looking back at some of Terry Ryan's quotes right after Mauer's concussion, he made it sound like the symptoms were clearing up and he would be playing soon, when in reality Mauer was having some pretty intense symptoms and would continue to so for two months.

Can he be 3rd base competition for Plouffe??

15. This user likes bholmgren's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Danchat (12-06-2013)

Kind of odd that a barely major league caliber player thinks he can tell his team what positions he will and won't play. Spring training 2012 he made it very clear he didnt want to play 1st base (the easiest position on the field). Instead he wants to stay in the outfield butchering balls worse than any Twin I've seen in recent memory. Trade him please. Give him away. Release him. I dont care.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Searched MPR.org, but couldn't find the Sinker interview, so I'm reading tea leaves now. Sorry if I'm a bit out of the loop but, hell, I'm in China.

Bernardino's Dec 4 story quotes Ryan: "There is "some" chance the Twins will still sign a free agent catcher, Ryan said, but he made it clear the best options appear to be in-house at this point. "Who's out there?" he said. "There are some catchers out there with some interest (to the Twins). I'll just leave it at that." At the end of the piece, there's a mention of Doumit: "Doumit didn't catch over the final five weeks in 2013 because of a concussion suffered in early August, but Ryan said that shouldn't be an issue." Earlier, he said that they have "limited" interest in Buck. http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...-2014-starting

1) I like the confidence in Pinto, I feel that investing (in that sense) in a young guy can pay the biggest dividends. Could be wrong of course, but I see big upside if he gets things together behind the plate. Of course Mauer is now the mentor figure- he'll step up and do it.

2) If Doumit really is out (we'll see) then we're looking a bit thin behind the dish. I was AJ all the way, but we can't offer him the chance for a second ring. If TR is basically done with C, then it's Pinto's to take it and make it into something. Happy for Pinto, hope he comes through- now let's look at offense & more pitching!
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

18. This user likes BigTrane's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-06-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Doumit has little to no value as a DH/OF. He was predicted by Fangraphs to be the worst "every day" DH, and he was. He can't field. I don't know why he isn't just cut at this point, and why they don't roll the dice with random younger players.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 827 Times in 520 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yeah, I'm with the others here. Based on his season last year, he has no value if he doesn't catch. Gardy played him way too much at non-catching positions last year, and I'd argue (though it's definitely debatable) that this hurt Parmelee more than anything else. I like Doumit, but there's no chance he's a next wave guy. And while the odds of Parmelee being a significant contributor for that are very low at this point, he should be playing every day just to see if he can figure out the major leagues. He has potential to be an absolute beast in the lineup if he can.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Kind of odd that a barely major league caliber player thinks he can tell his team what positions he will and won't play. Spring training 2012 he made it very clear he didnt want to play 1st base (the easiest position on the field). Instead he wants to stay in the outfield butchering balls worse than any Twin I've seen in recent memory. Trade him please. Give him away. Release him. I dont care.
    A player should communicate his health issues and desires to his team. However, you're not wrong that they also need to accept the reality of such concerns.

I wonder if we'll start to see contracts that have clauses regarding position played allowed?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I have no problem with Doumit saying my health is more important then your team....
    But he needs to understand the team may have to move on from him ....
    thanks for your time here and best wishes doumit

23. These 2 users like johnnydakota's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (12-06-2013), mike wants wins (12-06-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    I have no problem with Doumit saying my health is more important then your team....
    But he needs to understand the team may have to move on from him ....
    thanks for your time here and best wishes doumit
    100% this
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    If he doesn't want to catch, he's not worth the Twins keeping around, and he also diminishes his own trade value, if he had any.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    If Doumit doesn't want to catch he should retire. Nobody is going to want him on their team if he won't catch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast