Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doumit doesn't want to catch any more?

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Next year is Doumit's last right? If he refuses to catch he better learn to play 3b and give Plouffe some competition (like has already been pointed out). I guess it might come down to money. I'm sure he'll start the season with the Twins since he is under contract, but once Sano comes up he and Plouffe might be the odd men out. Thing is, Plouffe can play multiple positions and Doumit can't. This might turn out to be a bad decision for his career (but not necessarily for him in the long run).
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 672 Times in 381 Posts
    Well, that makes two of us Mr. Doumit.

3. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-06-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Next year is Doumit's last right? If he refuses to catch he better learn to play 3b and give Plouffe some competition (like has already been pointed out). I guess it might come down to money. I'm sure he'll start the season with the Twins since he is under contract, but once Sano comes up he and Plouffe might be the odd men out. Thing is, Plouffe can play multiple positions and Doumit can't. This might turn out to be a bad decision for his career (but not necessarily for him in the long run).
    Without ever seeing Doumit try it, I am 100% sure that Doumit at third base would be an unmitigated disaster. Plouffe would look like Brooks Robinson comparatively.

We're talking about a guy who's uncomfortable playing first base.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    I just heard from one of my sources, Pinto has decided he no longer wants to catch. This is breaking news. Too much wear and tear and afraid of concussions.

6. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-06-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJL44 View Post
    If Doumit doesn't want to catch he should retire. Nobody is going to want him on their team if he won't catch.
    He'd be good in a staring contest!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    If Doumit was afraid and uncomfortable at 1B, I'd say he'd be petrified at 3B. It's just not happening.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who knows how Doumit really feels.

If the Twins need him to catch... Strap the pads on Doumit and do what is needed.

Same goes for Mauer... Strap them on... On occasion if the team needs you to.

Positional Flexibility is a good thing. If players are actually saying... I won't play a certain position. It hurts the team and it really hurts their individual value.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Ryan was interviewed on 1500 ESPN today and the way he talked Doumit was still in the mix for catching this season. I think the comment about him not wanting to catch anymore is nothing more than a rumor gone wild...

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,308 Times in 1,755 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    A player should communicate his health issues and desires to his team. However, you're not wrong that they also need to accept the reality of such concerns.

I wonder if we'll start to see contracts that have clauses regarding position played allowed?
    Years ago, the White Sox invoked a "diminished skills" clause in Frank Thomas's contract, a move that didn't bring happiness to either party. I wonder if that kind of clause is rare, or common? Doumit's contract extension was based in large part on his ability and willingness to catch. I'm sure Terry Ryan doesn't want this to go to litigation, but if the reasonable choice becomes to cut ties and no trade can be worked out, this has the potential of becoming messy. I hope, as was already stated, this is just a rumor gone wild.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 540 Times in 350 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ryan Doumit isn't the centerpiece of this team. For the last two years, he has mixed being a DH, catching and some outfield at ages 31 and 32, into career high plate appearances on a bad team. Given his skill-set and age, I doubt he'll ever get another multiple-year contract. Much of Doumit's value comes from his ability to play catcher and if he chooses to no longer go behind the plate, he may not continue in the big leagues beyond this year. On the flip side, if a player no longer wants to catch as the result of an injury, I sincerely doubt any club could invoke a "diminished skills" clause and make it stick and I doubt that such a clause exists with a small to medium sized contract which is where Doumit's salary lands.

At the conclusion of this season, I was under the impression that Doumit not catching was the club's idea, not his. I would think that Doumit would continue to be available to catch, but not a preferred option for the club.

The best thing about Doumit is he uses Danzig "Mother" as his walk-up music. I almost spit my beer over the person in front of me when I was at a game a few years ago and heard it. Pure awesome

What?

#1) Who cares if Doumit doesn't want to catch? Him not catching for the Twins makes us a better team. He is a terrible freaking catcher. The only value he once had was his ability to hit for us 2 years ago. Now he is redundant and unnecessary on this roster. I wish they would find someone who wanted him.

#2) Do you guys realize how ridiculous it is to say "so and so should play 3B" ??? Let's examine this for a second. Plouffe was a SS who couldn't stick at the position and is now at 3rd and in a lot of ways, he is very bad defensively. Who do you think is the better infielder/athlete? Doumit or Plouffe? Let's look at this, Sano is an exceptional athlete and has been an infielder his whole career, not a catcher, and he still has question marks about moving to corner OF or 1B instead of playing 3B. What in the heck makes you think a terrible catcher like Doumit has any chance of being adequate at an infield position let alone the 2nd hardest one to play. Come on guys. This seriously makes your credibility questionable.

#3) Twins should dump him off in this trade they are hopefully going to be making next week at the Winter Meetings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Years ago, the White Sox invoked a "diminished skills" clause in Frank Thomas's contract, a move that didn't bring happiness to either party. I wonder if that kind of clause is rare, or common? Doumit's contract extension was based in large part on his ability and willingness to catch. I'm sure Terry Ryan doesn't want this to go to litigation, but if the reasonable choice becomes to cut ties and no trade can be worked out, this has the potential of becoming messy. I hope, as was already stated, this is just a rumor gone wild.
    That's what I thought, that Doumit's contract was that he was a catcher​ and his compensation was based on his ability to play catcher. If so, and Doumit announces he doesn't want to catch--well maybe the Twins can decide they don't want to pay him?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Apart from the fact that I'm still applying the crazy rumor to this....

Doumit used correctly could have plenty of value. He stunk in 2013, but 2012 (and a shortened 2011) were what I would want out of a bench bat with positional flexibility on the field. Perhaps they are grossly overpaying for it, but so what, that's already done.

Not quite sure I agree with the "release him" posters....not sure if hyperbole.....
    I will one day successfully sneak onto the Sportive Podcast, and have nothing intelligent to say or add to the conversation.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doumit would be a great PH and bench player for an NL contending team. And his $2.5M contract is about at that level and pretty good value for that role. If the Twins cannot trade him, they can Blackburn him.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    Hmmm, switch-hitting pinch-hitter, who could play a little right field or catch on occasion? Even in the era of 13-man pitching staffs, a team should be able to find a spot for a player with those skills (lifetime .766 OPS), just not at $3.5M.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Doumit would be a great PH and bench player for an NL contending team. And his $2.5M contract is about at that level and pretty good value for that role. If the Twins cannot trade him, they can Blackburn him.
    BB Ref does say $3.5M (perhaps a pro-rated buyout?).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    BB Ref does say $3.5M (perhaps a pro-rated buyout?).
    Yeah. My bad. It is $3.5 not 2.5M. Still the going price for a bench bat these days.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Hmmm, switch-hitting pinch-hitter, who could play a little right field or catch on occasion? Even in the era of 13-man pitching staffs, a team should be able to find a spot for a player with those skills (lifetime .766 OPS), just not at $3.5M.
    I hope so. We have so many question marks this season. It seems like a bad idea to give Doumit ABs. Can we get a C+ prospect?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would think the only thing that would keep Doumit from catching is valid concerns about his long term health. I don't think anyone has ever questioned his character, effort or willingness to play hurt. It is too bad that players with more talent don't have his heart.

However, signing Doumit to a 2 year 7 million dollar contract extension on 2012 was a foolish decision. It was easy to project that his league bottom defense would only get worse as he aged. The Twins still don't know about Parmelee. It can take 1000 plate appearances to see the skill in a player. Parmelee should be near that point. He isn't close. A player benefits from consistent playing time. Parmelee has had very few stretches of regular playing time. The Twins should have invested many of Doumit's at bats in Parmelee. There is no guarantee that Parmelee will be a useful player. If he had a consistent shot, the twins would probably know entering 2014.

I wrote at the time that signing guys like Doumit only adds to the cycle of mediocrity. It is time to release him now. The 7 million is gone. It's time to end the cycle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast