Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Next?

What Next?

Ok, Nolasco and Hughes have been inked, now what? I feel that they need at least one more guy somewhere, because I don't see this current team winning more than 65 maybe 70 games. So, who realistically could/should the Twins sign or trade for. Should they work on getting a DH, mentor catcher for Pinto, SS, Starter, reliever, or what?

2. This user likes Trautmann13's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-07-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I'd like them to explore trades of Dozier and Perkins to see if they can add some more prospect talent but I think the rotation is pretty settled for now. As I understand it, Worley is out of options so he has to make the club and the Twins aren't going to give up on him yet. So, barring injury, our starting rotation is probably:
    Nolasco
    Correia
    Hughes
    Worley
    Deduno

with Gibson starting in AAA to get his confidence back or some such. I'd rather have Gibson up than Deduno but he has options and Deduno probably deserves a shot. After those six, guys like Johnson, Diamond, Albers, maybe Duensing and Swarzak will be able to take some starts until May and Meyer are ready - I think May gets called up fairly quickly myself.

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I'd like to advocate for bringing in another SP, especially someone like Garza or Tanaka who has front end of the rotation ability, I don't think the front office will bring in any other FA starting pitchers (except for maybe Pelfrey, which is probably still a longshot). The FA market for SS isn't very good this off-season, and DH likely won't be addressed with guys like Hammer and Doumit surely taking a majority of those days as well as giving Pinto and other guys a bit of a break here and there.

Mauer's at first, Dozier at 2B, SS is Florimon (for better or worse), Plouffe will be a place holder at 3B until Sano can arrive and Pinto looks to be the leader for the C job going into ST with a guy like Fryer as a safety if that doesn't work out. The Twins could probably go out and sign someone to roam the OF, but with plenty of OF guys who need ABs, particularly corner guys, I don't see the Twins addressing OF in free agency either. Maybe bringing in a veteran CF to help cover the position until Bux can arrive, but most likely the Twins stand pat.

I wanted the team to bring in a veteran catcher, but that looks to be out the window. Another SP seems to be the most likely spot to upgrade, and that looks to be a bit of along shot at this point.

But who knows, the Twins have been active and agreesive this season. Maybe TR has a trade up his sleeve or another FA signing to come. With the winter meetings looming next week there is still plenty to be opotmistic and excited about.

5. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (12-08-2013)

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm getting the feeling that TR is going to acquire a starter via a trade.
    I won't guess, but there's gonna be a trade coming. Just wait.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trautmann13 View Post
    Ok, Nolasco and Hughes have been inked, now what? I feel that they need at least one more guy somewhere, because I don't see this current team winning more than 65 maybe 70 games. So, who realistically could/should the Twins sign or trade for. Should they work on getting a DH, mentor catcher for Pinto, SS, Starter, reliever, or what?
    Umm...while I can be accused of being a huge optimist at times, with bad health and terrible clutch hitting that almost defies description and probably the worst starting rotation in all of baseball, the Twins won 66 games last year.

Now we almost automatically have a deeper and better rotation, probably an even better bullpen simply because they are stretched to a MLB max, a little better health, and no way can we possibly maintain such a low standard of offensive ineptitude, this team has to improve at least a few games in the win column. Call me an optimist, but I think you are being a bit of a pessimist here.

8. These 2 users like DocBauer's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (12-08-2013), Tibs (12-08-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 87 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    I'm getting the feeling that TR is going to acquire a starter via a trade.
    I won't guess, but there's gonna be a trade coming. Just wait.
    I'm going to agree with this. There are still some quality FA P options out there that won't cost us prospects, but, rumors, Ryan's track record for trades, the aggressiveness that has been shown so far this off season, I too think a trade for a talented and still rather young starter is coming.

Other than that, what makes most sense to me is a LH bat off the bench who can help in the field; Chavez, Betemit, Tracy, etc, and probably a not too expensive OF who can play defense and help some at the top of the lineup.

I have always thought we'd go after a veteran C as well. Especially if he could counter Pinto some with a LH bat. But who is left worth taking a strong look at? I'd almost be inclined at this point to just run with Pinto and Hermann.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know he deserves another chance but I have 0 optimism in Worley, I've never seen a pitcher with multiple pitches that have 0 movement. Every pitch in his repetoire straight as an arrow.

I would rather give Albers his spot & DFA Worley or package him with Duesning & Doumit for a backup Catcher.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Be nice to pickup outfield help ,maybe trade Perkins and Worley for Gardner and J.Sanchez
    Even if we had to add in Bard or another prospect not in the top 15 to get it done

Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I'd like them to explore trades of Dozier and Perkins to see if they can add some more prospect talent but I think the rotation is pretty settled for now. As I understand it, Worley is out of options so he has to make the club and the Twins aren't going to give up on him yet. So, barring injury, our starting rotation is probably:
    Nolasco
    Correia
    Hughes
    Worley
    Deduno

with Gibson starting in AAA to get his confidence back or some such. I'd rather have Gibson up than Deduno but he has options and Deduno probably deserves a shot. After those six, guys like Johnson, Diamond, Albers, maybe Duensing and Swarzak will be able to take some starts until May and Meyer are ready - I think May gets called up fairly quickly myself.
    You put Worely ahead of Deduno in your line up and as a side note you said you'd rather have Gibson in the line up instead of Deduno. The only thing Gibson and Worely proved last year is that they didn't belong in the Majors. Unless those guys show significant improvement, the only way either of them are better than Deduno is if Deduno's shoulder doesn't hold up. Deduno was arguably the best starting pitcher on the team last year, especially if it is taken into consideration that he was pitching with a bum shoulder at the end of the season.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    What's Next? - I would hope Kurt Suzuki- A good veteran defensive catcher is the best thing the Twins could do for Meyer, Gibson and possibly May. Let Pinto catch the veteran starters but need an experienced catcher to guide the young starters. Pinto has potential but he needs a lot of work defensively. Doumit is not a good defensive catcher. Hermann ??

14. This user likes Otwins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (12-08-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    Many posters are saying just go with Pinto but do not mention his bad elbow, what's the timetable there? And I would also not trade for a middling player/players who will be in their last contract year in 2014, that is counter productive to say the least.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What's next? Since the Twins have actively pursued several catchers, my guess is that they acquire a veteran backstop at the winter meetings, either by trade or free agency. I believe they will add another pitcher (Pelfrey-type) and one major league position player, but that can wait until the dust settles and some guys are looking for work.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    What's Next? - I would hope Kurt Suzuki- A good veteran defensive catcher is the best thing the Twins could do for Meyer, Gibson and possibly May. Let Pinto catch the veteran starters but need an experienced catcher to guide the young starters. Pinto has potential but he needs a lot of work defensively. Doumit is not a good defensive catcher. Hermann ??
    Suzuki is well below average when it comes to receiving pitches as measured by PitchFX. Those catchers are gone and went fast. Remaining are the poor receivers like Buck and Suzuki.

The Twins decision making about catchers shows they don't value the data related to framing. I hope they are right.

I haven't heard about his elbow. Is this a ligament issue?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Suzuki is well below average when it comes to receiving pitches as measured by PitchFX. Those catchers are gone and went fast. Remaining are the poor receivers like Buck and Suzuki.

The Twins decision making about catchers shows they don't value the data related to framing. I hope they are right.
    They are. I applaud them for ignoring framing statistics.

20. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DJSim22 (12-08-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    You put Worely ahead of Deduno in your line up and as a side note you said you'd rather have Gibson in the line up instead of Deduno. The only thing Gibson and Worely proved last year is that they didn't belong in the Majors. Unless those guys show significant improvement, the only way either of them are better than Deduno is if Deduno's shoulder doesn't hold up. Deduno was arguably the best starting pitcher on the team last year, especially if it is taken into consideration that he was pitching with a bum shoulder at the end of the season.
    Well, first, you're way overreacting to the order of the list. I just listed the 5 pitchers that I think will open the season with.

Secondly, Gibson has upside. He was a top 100 prospect and put up really good AAA numbers. He'll eventually be a good pitcher for us but it'll take time. Most pitchers get knocked around a bit when they come up and get sent back down. No biggie.

As for Deduno, I guess he deserves his spot but i don't think he's a good ML pitcher and I think he'll lose his rotation spot fairly early next year.

I think im being a realist here. This is practically (with the exception of Thomas, Morneau, and hopefully Colabello) That struck out 10-12 times a game against a halfways decent pitcher. I think it is just a little out there to say that they will just improve drastically because they were bad last year.

I dont think they will strike out as much this year, but one to two Ks an inning and any rally is over with. So, I think they need or needed to sign somebody who won't strike out and someone with leadership, even for just one year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Berardino says the Padres are in the market for a lefty reliever and could move a young starter, suggesting Burch Smith.

https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/st...81322323664896

Honestly, I didn't know of this guy but sign me up:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=smith-003bur

If the stuff translates remotely closely to his numbers, he looks like he has plenty of upside. Which lefty does Berardino think the Twins could use to get a guy like this? Duensing? Thielbar? Diamond? I'd be fine moving any of them, in fact I find it hard to believe those three have that kind of trade value. I can't imagine he's thinking of Perkins.

I would be ecstatic to not have duensing or diamond on the team this seaaon. Never understood Gardy's infatuation with duensing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I still see another starting pitcher being added. If I had to guess, I think it will be Pelfrey. I also think we will add an outfielder.

I can see Willingham and Arcia starting at the corners, but I think it would be a mistake to start the season with only Presley, Mastroianni and Hicks as our only options in center. Yes, I know that Buxton is on the way, but I honestly don't think he will see Minnesota in 2014. I haven't given up hope on Hicks. I think he will turn things around and have a solid year, but I can also see Terry taking a long look at that position and thinking we need some help for at least 2014 and possibly longer.

Pre-winter meeting prediction. We add another starting pitcher and a center fielder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast