Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cano signs!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cano signs!

Per MLBTR:

By Steve Adams [December 6 at 9:57am CST]
    The Mariners and Robinson Cano are in agreement on a 10-year, $240MM contract, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com (Spanish link). The contract will tie Albert Pujols for the third-largest deal in Major League history.
    Reports from earlier today indicated that talks between Cano and the Mariners had crumbled after Jay-Z suddenly upped his demands back to $252MM when the Mariners were prepared to offer $225MM over nine years. The two sides appear to have reached a middle ground, with Cano's camp dropping by $12MM or so and the Mariners agreeing to add a tenth season at $15MM.
    Cano, who turned 31 in October, batted .314/.383/.516 with 27 home runs in 2013 and has averaged a batting line of .314/.369/.530 and 28 home runs over the previous five seasons. Paired with plus defense at second base, Cano has been worth an average of 6.8 (Baseball-Reference) or 5.8 (Fangraphs) wins above replacement.
    By joining the Mariners, Cano likely displaces one of Brad Miller or Nick Franklin. Miller impressed by batting .265/.318/.418 with eight homers in 335 plate apperances and playing solid defense at shortstop as a 24-year-old rookie in 2013. Though Franklin entered the season with more prospect hype, he wilted down the stretch and finished with just a .225/.303/.382 batting line. The 22-year-old Franklin spent nearly all of his time at second base this season (he played just 20 innings at shortstop), so it would seem that he is more likely to be the one who is displaced by Seattle's blockbuster addition.
    Cano's enormous sum is just $2MM more than the combined $238MM that the Yankees paid to sign Brian McCann (five years, $85MM) and Jacoby Ellsbury (seven years, $153MM).

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Franklin would be decent pick up he sure looked good against the Twins. Played a lot of SS in the minors and could be a good middle infield backup. Of course looking good against the Twins doesn't mean that much.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Look at the money the Yankees saved , not having to bribe another comish. to void the contract in season 6.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    I take it back. THIS is the worst contract I've ever seen.

.860 career ops is worth 24 million a year now? For ten years? For a 31 year old? If the Twins made this signing I would be irate.

5. These 3 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-06-2013), James (12-06-2013), twinsfan34 (12-06-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I take it back. THIS is the worst contract I've ever seen.

.860 career ops is worth 24 million a year now? For ten years? For a 31 year old? If the Twins made this signing I would be irate.
    If Terry made this signing , it would be proof of what some are already thinking, ....the pod people have stolen Ryan

7. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-07-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Makes the Ellsbury deal look genius....
    Lighten up Francis....

9. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-07-2013)

Liked 35 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Makes the Ellsbury deal look genius....
    I wouldn't go as far as "genius", but the words "less bad" would seem appropriate.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

11. These 2 users like James's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-06-2013), PseudoSABR (12-06-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm amazed he got his 10 years. I figured he'd end up taking 8 years at around $200 million and even that would have been horrible. I have a soft spot for Seattle, so I guess I hope this works out for them, but I doubt they get more than 5 years of that deal where it looks reasonable.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    This is the opposite of The Twin's Way. Incidentally, King Theo recently coined the term "The Cubs Way". It sounds like it's startlingly familiar.

Mike, I wouldn't say genius. I think the lesser of two evils is more appropriate.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    History suggests that neither of these players will perform up to their contract for the entire term of the contract. ARoid, Pujols, Johan, Texeira, Vernon Wells, Matt Kemp, Zito, Ryan Howard, and Sabathia are examples that come to mind. Also Jeter, even though he performed well until that freak ankle break, but I guess that's the point I am trying to make, whether it be declining skills or injuries, the odds are against them.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Not my money and the owner who writes the checks decided it was a deal he could live with. The guy plays every day and no history of injury, obscene amout of money but he might come close to earning it.
    Might work out better than the next 5 years we have with Joe and all his injury issues.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would not have done it, but good for Seattle, and also good for baseball. Was glad to see another agent that Scott Boras deliver the goods. Yankees are heading for the second division as they do not have the pitching to compete.
    This should help Seattle attract front line FA's to the West Coast. Also Seattle has the pitching to make some of these deals to get enough hitting worthwhile. They still have work to do, but way to go.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Nick Franklin wouldn't be a backup, he'd be our starting SS hands down. Talk is he's the centerpiece of a Price trade.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I'd rather have an elite 2B at this price than a speed dependent CF at Ellsbury's price personally.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Ellsbury has never had leg issues....and the data on teh internet shows that speed guys actually age well. He just stole 52 bases. I don't get the disdain for him at all.
    Lighten up Francis....

It's crazy money but they are all crazy money these days. I think in the long run it will work against Seattle but it doesn't look any worse than many of the other deals being done. Which contract/player would you rather have? Pujols, Hamilton, Howard, Fielder or Cano? They are all going to be bad at some point but Cano's deal might be the best of the bad contracts.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I'd rather have an elite 2B at this price than a speed dependent CF at Ellsbury's price personally.
    interesting , the Yankees spent about the same to add 2 elite players , and they wont be on the hook in 9 more years, so while Me thinks Cano is the top 2b in baseball today, come 2014 look for some numbers to go down in his power department. I applaud the Yankees for making a wiser baseball decision ,Reminds me of the Cards and Albert

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    The Twins should definitely inquire about Franklin or Miller. Not sure about Franklin's defense. I wonder if Willingham could make it happen.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Franklin can't play SS in the Majors... he's not even particularly good at 2nd.

The problem with the Cano contract is timing. The Mariners aren't very good right now - even with him they are a .500 team at best. So this basically forces them into going all-out to win immediately but with a good chance it still won't work.

The money itself isn't totally crazy, once you account for the fact that the last few years are just deferred compensation. They aren't expecting Cano to produce much at age 40.

I guess Jay Z knows money and baseball. To all those who thought he was out of his league - SO WRONG
    240 Million - not to mention his off field endorsements. WOW - Go CAA & Jay Z

Now Dozier and Prospect(s) for Michael Pineda? Just saying................
    or Rosario and Willingham and Prospects...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast