Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cano signs!

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    The Twins should definitely inquire about Franklin or Miller. Not sure about Franklin's defense. I wonder if Willingham could make it happen.
    I was thinking this too. They've got essentially no outfielders. If Willingham doesn't get them going we can dump anyone from our parade of RF last year: Doumit, Parmalee, Kepler (if they want to pretend that the future matters) and even send along an envelope to grease the wheels if that's what it takes. They shouldn't have any money issues, but you never know what will make an GM smile.

Liked 1,286 Times in 743 Posts
    • SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 2h
      How big is Robinson Cano's $240 million deal with Seattle? Mariners have spent $239.2M in the previous 8 offseasons COMBINED.

But M's have TV deal announced in April 2013: with the majority purchase of ROOT Sports NW the Mariners will see approx.. $2 billion over 20 years.

So that's $100m/year if my math is right (I thought I saw a figure that was higher than that). And the Twins are at what? About $30m or so? (less than $50m even with the new agreement if I remember right).

There is such a huge discrepancy in local TV money.

But even with the M's new revenue stream, I wouldn't want to be saddled with that contract. It looks like they are using it as a bit of a "loss leader" to try to attract other free agents.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Impressive Seattle Mariners acquisition.

What Cano looks like in 2022 doesn't matter right now. These guys are closer than you think.

They have King Felix... Iwakuma is legit... Walker is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball and I expect Walker to start with the club and shine ala Jose Fernandez. James Paxton is also highly thought of.

They still have the money to sign Garza or Tanaka and the prospects to trade for Price or Samardzia.

The bullpen has young talented arms like Capps, Pryor, Farquhar.

Its the the offense that has held them back and singing Cano is a huge step toward solving that.

Not only could they sign Cano and a Garza or Tanaka but By Signing Cano... They just became more appealing to Choo or Nelson Cruz or Beltran and they can still afford those contracts in addition to Cano and a SP.

Kyle Seager is coming around. Zunino can play... He may struggle a little at first but he's the next wave of Young talented Catchers... Montero could rebound as DH or 1B. The guy is a hitter.

I've always thought that Saunders has a bunch of potential. Ackley... Franklin and Miller are top ranked prospects.

Could you imagine if Smoak lived up to potential although I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

I guess... I just don't think the Mariners are that far off.

I think penciling them in as 4th in the west and thinking that they prematurely jumped in on Cano is a mistake.

They are close in my opinion.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Someone mentioned on mlbn that Seattle spent 240 million on Cano when it would have only taken 350 million to keep the Sonics in Seattle.

5. These 2 users like notoriousgod71's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (12-07-2013), jokin (12-07-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Ellsbury has never had leg issues....and the data on teh internet shows that speed guys actually age well. He just stole 52 bases. I don't get the disdain for him at all.
    No disdain, just Ellsbury's isn't an elite player. A good one, no doubt, but not elite. Cano is elite.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    I was thinking this too. They've got essentially no outfielders. If Willingham doesn't get them going we can dump anyone from our parade of RF last year: Doumit, Parmalee, Kepler (if they want to pretend that the future matters) and even send along an envelope to grease the wheels if that's what it takes. They shouldn't have any money issues, but you never know what will make an GM smile.
    I'm reasonably sure that mess of "meh" will make him smile. But more in the "you gotta be kidding me with this" kind of way.

Ask yourself what Ryan would say if someone offered aging garbage like that for Dozier. And Dozier is significantly less valuable than Franklin. (a top prospect coming off a solid debut)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris E View Post
    Usually you have to give up something valuable to get a nice prospect. Willingham, Doumit and Parmelee basically have zero value.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ellsbury has never had leg issues....and the data on teh internet shows that speed guys actually age well. He just stole 52 bases. I don't get the disdain for him at all.
    What data have you seen that suggests speed guys who don't have other plus tools age well?

Ellsbury's main threat are his legs. His power isn't particularly good. His discipline isn't particularly good. His hit tool isn't particularly good. He had ~20 infield hits last season.

Once his legs are gone and he has to rely on his other tools (none of which are particularly good), what makes you think he'll still be a good player?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I have no idea when he will slow down, but it likely isn't super soon. But again, it is about what the Yankees can do, and I do not see this stopping them from signing others. In the meantime, they got a lot better in the OF. They just need to bid more for Tanaka in negotiations with him, and trade for a 2b, and they are back in the playoff hunt, since they already added MCCann.
    Lighten up Francis....

Another way to chew on this: for two million more for the next seven years the M's bought themselves a vastly superior player. Ellsbury is basically a 100 OPS+ player if you don't count whatever that bizarre 2011 was. Every other season he has been roughly at 100. Cano is consistently at 125 OPS+ or better.

By the time year 8 rolls around it may not matter how bad Cano is he'll still be a much better investment.

12. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-07-2013)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    This is the opposite of The Twin's Way. Incidentally, King Theo recently coined the term "The Cubs Way". It sounds like it's startlingly familiar.

Mike, I wouldn't say genius. I think the lesser of two evils is more appropriate.
    Howie, I believe you have been the biggest Cub-basher on TD. Why the sudden change of heart?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Makes the Ellsbury deal look genius....
    If the Ellsbury deal is genius, then what do you call the Beltran deal?

Don't let me down... bring it!
    Last edited by BigTrane; 12-07-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12