Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mariners: An Interesting Read on What's Been Going On

Liked 1,296 Times in 750 Posts

Mariners: An Interesting Read on What's Been Going On

http://seattletimes.com/html/mariner...ners08xml.html

I found this to be a really interesting story about how top management of the Mariners functioned.

While I have sometimes felt that Jim Pohlad was a little too "hands off", I don't think anyone would want ownership/top management to function in the way described in this story. (Oh, and I do think Mr. Pohlad redeemed himself by making it clear that the Twins needed to spend some money in the free agent market this off-season).

Obviously there are two sides to every story and Eric Wedge's is only one but the reporter has a lot of other sources that lend credence to his claims.

If even 50% of this is true, McClendon is going to need some awfully tough armor.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Sounds an awful lot like my boss....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Wow, great read. Makes you glad you aren't a Mariners fan. Situations like this do not help your team succeed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    How many times did we have to put up with Jack Z is a genius being repeated in the media? I remember shaking my head at some of those moves.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Yeah, read this yesterday, GREAT story. For people who like watching car crashes, this is a must-read. (Personally, guilty!)

Anyway, Sea Hags are on a one-way-trip to Davy Jones' Locker. The Cano deal might just make that permanent. I dunno, pitch around him...? Enjoy the sea air. But I digress.

Best line in the story: "No, we *really* need to win." Give the writer a Pulitzer. Or a Nobel. Awesome stuff.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    How many times did we have to put up with Jack Z is a genius being repeated in the media? I remember shaking my head at some of those moves.
    Yeah, guy used to be able to do no wrong. I remember on BYTO I lit up a long thread questioning the Milton Bradley move and people rushed to defend it.

If this article is accurate, the guy is a clown.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quite the Article... You usually don't have people speaking up like that because of financial incentive confidentiality clauses built into termination contracts.

Besides... It doesn't look good to potential new employers to lob hand grenades publicly on your way out the door.

I think its normal to have dissension in all organizations from person to person or boss to staff but this looks much larger than normal.

Seattle just might be messed up... And it does make me appreciate the stability in Minnesota.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This may explain the recent re-signing of Gardy after 3 bad seasons, to avoid the airing of dirty laundry.

I keed, I keed.

9. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (12-08-2013)

The recent article interviewing Jim pohlad I found very informing and I Think the Twins are in process updating and improving organization but in their very quite way of changing things. I always have thought Terry Ryan knew baseball and was good boss to work for in that ne always respected people under him and never did things improper . Pohlads at least seem to stay arms length away from baseball operations but it does appear they like to set organizational philosophy and management structure on the big picture. Also they are concerned to keep team brand a valuable commodity and loosing like they have in long run wrecks this team brand and value. What I liked about this article from Pohlads is they are concerned they are competitive team in longterm not bunch of up and downs. They are studing this and trying to correct this in systematic way without large turnover of personnel. I think the future is bright for the Twins and for Mairners I think this is ship heading for crash and burn.

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Number 6 org.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Number 6 org.
    No, no, no, it's #6 org.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

13. These 2 users like snepp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-09-2013), USAFChief (12-08-2013)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    No, no, no, it's #6 org.
    Right you are.

And it will never get old.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 508 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, this partially explains the cause of Eric Wedge's stroke this past June. No job is worth that kind of stress and disfunction.

Good for Wedge and Blengino for speaking out. My gut tells me that what they are saying is true - It would take a lot of time and effort to make that stuff up.

If I were a Mariner fan, this news would definitely have a dampening effect on my good vibes from the Cano signing, but I would be thankful to Wedge, Blengino, and the other former employees that made the Seattle Mariner Upper Management's veil of incompetency more transparent.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that the most amazing thing about this article was the fact that a major reporter in the major Seattle paper wrote it and the editors published it.

Imagine that happening in Twins' Territory...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yeah, guy used to be able to do no wrong. I remember on BYTO I lit up a long thread questioning the Milton Bradley move and people rushed to defend it.

If this article is accurate, the guy is a clown.
    The Milton Bradley deal made sense. It was swapping bad contracts. I still don't see a problem with it.

Almost everything else the guy did was completely insane.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I think that the most amazing thing about this article was the fact that a major reporter in the major Seattle paper wrote it and the editors published it.

Why would a major Seattle paper publish it in Minnesota?

19. These 2 users like howieramone's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (12-09-2013), USAFChief (12-08-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post

If a tyrannical man were to take over the Twins and alienate coaches and staff enough to drive them all away while covering his own ass by blaming his subordinates, I'd certainly hope Minneapolis papers would write about it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Why would a major Seattle paper publish it in Minnesota?
    Well played howie, well played.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 670 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The Milton Bradley deal made sense. It was swapping bad contracts. I still don't see a problem with it.

Almost everything else the guy did was completely insane.
    I would say the result justified my opinion - the guy was certifiably nuts and on the downside with his knees. Carlos Silva actually managed a halfway decent season for the Cubs too! I'd wager he managed a near historic consumption of deep dish pizza too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    I'm not sure if Silva's halfway decent season really factors in. He had just spent 2 seasons with the Mariners as one of the worst starters in baseball and probably wasn't going to pitch at all for them regardless. They traded their problem for someone's else's problem and IIRC saved a little money doing it. Overall this was pretty much a non-event.

The problems in Seattle had more to do with constructing teams that didn't play well in that ballpark and the players added didn't address major weaknesses. I remember them having horrific offenses and the FO was still adding no hit defensive wiz's like they were going to simply prevent the other team from scoring. And some in the media defended it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast