Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Rajai Davis and the Twins Outfield Depth

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts

Rajai Davis

Wolfson reports the Twins are willing to commit multiple years to the 33 year-old outfielder.

-

Meh.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
    Unless he's going to start in CF, I'm not sure I understand this too much. I'm reasonably comfortable with a Pressley/Mastro platoon in center (or Hicks if he lights it up.)

Davis has not been a regular CF'er since 2010 so I have to imagine he's either being looked at as a 4th OF'er or they intend to DH Willingham.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rajai Davis and the Twins Outfield Depth

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Other then the Kids, and the DH , all we have a 4th and 5th outfielders, why sign another?
    Just saying Davis had a 1.8 WAR last year dispite having a Neg.-D-WAR

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The speed is good, but he can't be a leadoff hitter. I like the potential defense of Davis-Hicks-Presley/Parmelee to begin the season, certainly. An OF of Willingham-Davis-Arcia is possible, however, and that would be disturbing. Davis is good and I like him as an actual 4th OF.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there is a scenario where it makes sense to bring him here. He can compete with Presley for the CF job with Mastroianni. (also i think signing him says alot about how the Twins feel about Mastroianni's prospects of making the team). He can also have Presley move to LF and let Willingham DH. or Presley can move to RF if both Hicks and Arcia are not cutting it in the majors.... or ther could be another trade comming that we dont know about guarenteeing him a starting job all season. I see him as redundant however unless the trade angle or willingham to DH angle takes hold but even then Davis is just a place holder starter.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Unless the Twins intend to sign a premier OF, this is a waste of time. The roster is loaded with marginal players, there is no need to sign another.

We give a lot of deference on this site to Jason Parks at Baseball Prospectus. Parks rates our minor league system the best of all including Buxton as basically one of a kind. There's still Hicks and Presley, Arcia, Willingham for one more year, whoever else. So what would be the point of pursuing Rajai Davis? on a multi year deal?

Latest report on mlbtraderumors has Tigers as favorites to sign him with Twins still in mix. I'd love having Davis as a 4th OF with that speed on the basepaths.
    All you need to know about North Dakota:

Economy is among best in nation because of Oil Boom.
    You can play Blackjack for real money in bars here.
    NDSU Bison good at football.
    University of North Dakota good at Hockey.
    Roger Maris and Phil Jackson (NBA coach) are from here.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Improves your outfield defense. Can be a late game pinch runner. Defensive replacement if you have Willingham or Arcia in the outfield. Pinch hit for Florimon. I think he would be useful. I would love the Twins to get to Seth's suggested OF of Rosario, Buxton and Hicks with a good 4th OFer. Best thing we could do for the pitching staff.
    Last edited by Otwins; 12-10-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling

The Twins traded JJHardy and brought in Nishi because of the desire to increase the speed of their lineup. While we have some speed available (Presley, Mastro, Hicks) we don't have a base stealer on the team, and it isn't a quality we have in great quantities in the minor league. If the issue is whether Davis' potential as a base-stealer outweighs Presley AND Mastro (with whom he is more redundant than our other outfielders), then fine. I think he's a reasonable 4th OF and an upgrade at a cheap price (and you always need a guy who can steal a base in the 9th in a close game, and we don't have that guy right now).

I just don't see us putting Presley, Hicks, and Davis (or, frankly, even two of the three at the outset of the season) in the outfield simultaneously, even though the speed and defense would be beneficial. That strategy just blocks any effort to use Willingham, Arcia, Doumit, Parmelee, Plouffe (if Sano plays third), Colabello, etc., etc., and relegates every single one of them to DH/platoon, and prevents us showcasing any of them.

Just like a balanced budget, you have to talk about what comes off the 40-man roster with each person you add to it....I say if it is simply a swap for Mastro, since we have Presley (who is also a swap for Mastro), then fine. Any more ambitious plans and this makes little sense.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I am crazy in saying this:

Davis is an improvement over Presley, Mastroianni, all the minor league filler of the past few years, and potentially Parmelee and Colabello. Now that alone still might not be enough for me to want him, but if Willingham is to be dealt (please, seriously), then Davis is actually a cheap upgrade over much of the nonsense we have seen the past two years. I don't think the Twins have the right idea in mind, but whatever. I would trade Willingham, play Davis in a platoon with Presley or Parmelee, and start Hicks in CF.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Davis is looking for a chance to start so if he comes to the Twins they told him the job is his too lose.

Hicks needs to start in AAA, if Parmelee starts with the team, Doumit has no place on the roster.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure they envision a OF of Rosario, Buxton, Hicks with Arcia at DH & playing 50-60 games a season in the OF.

Davis makes sense to have at least a good defense in the OF until the hitters come along.

He makes sense as a platoon and strengthens the outfield defense. Either way, I want someone fast in one of the corners this year.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is no need to bring in Davis. we already have enough marginal players on the team to play outfield and it makes little sense to try to "fit him in" at a multi million dollar contract when we can get basically the same production from Mastro/Pressly

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yawn.

Liked 105 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, when you have money to burn, it's hard to be too critical. But this is just weird. I'm all about creating competition to keep people on their toes, but he seems awfully redundant.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rosario, Hicks, and Buxton have no business being in the majors right now. Colabello and Parms shouldn't be playing either. Presley is on the fence and Mastro is slightly worse. Hammer is a DH. Arcia needs to be playing. Basically he'd be the second/third best OF on the team after Arcia.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 47 Times in 24 Posts
    Both Alex Presley and Darin Mastroianni hit just as well as (or better than) Rajai Davis. They both have speed, and I'd consider Mastroianni's baserunning to be more or less on the same level as Davis, though he has less of a track record. They're both considerably younger than Davis. And Mastroianni and Presley together cost less than Davis will.

I want nothing to do with this guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast