Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Happened to the Twins? by Elliot Mann

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I'll chime in:

1994-2000: Eh, don't really remember, to be honest. I remember a few highs and lows but won't really commit to a decision.

2001-2007: Bad, but hamstrung by payroll considerations. He picked up a couple of good players like Rogers but mostly, it was retreads that made me want to drink. A lot.

2011-2012: Ugh. Just ugh. Willingham was nice. Should have done so much more and it burnses us just to think about it, it does.

2013: So far, so good. Not a single complaint.
    Are we sure he was hamstrung, or was it his choice? McPhail signed players to some of the largest contracts of their time. Why was his time different than Ryan's? I have no idea, but there is evidence (in McPhails' work) that this was not necessarily the owners. We don't know, but people give him a pass, while forgetting Jack Morris and other large deals.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,492 Times in 782 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    I don't know that he was the one doing the negotiating and neither do you!
    You're right. The guys whose job it was to negotiate trades did not negotiate trades.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Are we sure he was hamstrung, or was it his choice? McPhail signed players to some of the largest contracts of their time. Why was his time different than Ryan's? I have no idea, but there is evidence (in McPhails' work) that this was not necessarily the owners. We don't know, but people give him a pass, while forgetting Jack Morris and other large deals.
    Baseball's landscape changed quite a bit between 1991 and 2003, though.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You're right. The guys whose job it was to negotiate trades did not negotiate trades.
    Ryan was interviewed the other day and said that the last year or so Krivsky is the one who starts the trade negotiations and Anthony is the one who does the FA and contract negotiations and he oversees the process. I would not doubt that something similar was happening when Smith was the GM, with Smith even more removed than Ryan from baseball opinions...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 1,172 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Ryan was interviewed the other day and said that the last year or so Krivsky is the one who starts the trade negotiations and Anthony is the one who does the FA and contract negotiations and he oversees the process. I would not doubt that something similar was happening when Smith was the GM, with Smith even more removed than Ryan from baseball opinions...
    To me there is difference between who you target for trade discussions and free agent acquisitions and the actual negotiating process.

I would guess that Bill Smith was more removed from the decision on who to target than Terry Ryan is but based on Ryan's statements when he "retired", I have to think that Smith was more involved in the negotiation process itself (the game has changed and is for "bright young negotiators).

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    The problem with this article is that it fits with a larger narrative about Smith that seems hell-bent on painting his tenure as an utter disaster. But take in just a few things quick:

His pre-2010 offseason was probably the best of any GM for this team in....well, forever. He dealt for Hardy, resigned Pavano after stealing him from Cleveland, brought in Thome, brought in Hudson, and resigned Mauer.

His work in the international market landed us a cornerstone of our rebuild in Sano. He's also responsible for Kepler, Rosario, Hicks, Gibson, etc.

So, yeah, the guy wasn't very good. He definitely dug a deeper hole with his own blunders, but Ryan and bad luck has a stake in many of those issues in 2011 as well. So just a little balance and fairness in some of these assessments would be nice. (The author did try to do that for sure)

7. These 4 users like TheLeviathan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (12-10-2013), iTwins (12-11-2013), johnnydakota (12-11-2013), Willihammer (12-10-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    From the article; "...Smith was hired with the thinking that he could provide a seamless transition. Since Smith was seen as more of an administrator, the team also promoted then-scouting director Mike Radcliff to vice-president in charge of player personnel."

I infer the following from this statement: 1) When Ryan was GM he was the boss of the player personnel director (Radcliff); 2) the organization was changed to reflect that Smith was not "in charge" of player personnel, or Radcliff; 3) Radcliff's position (VP player personnel) was horizontal and slightly elevated to Smith's position (Radcliff was a VP, but Smith wasn't a VP, only the GM). Thus Smith, as GM, did not have the same power that Ryan held as GM. Smith would need to balance the interests of different mangers, some of whom were outside of his authority. Ergo, he must build consensus between people which may involve "horse-trading" of decisions and goals. It isn't realistic to conclude that Smith could act with the same latitude as Ryan--Smith didn't have Ryan's power. Smith wasn't "at the top" as his title suggests--player personnel was outside of his purview. Therefore, Radcliff (and his subordinates) who are making player evaluations (Gardenhire would evaluate the Active Roster also) is just as responsible as Smith for poor personnel decisions--because his (department's) provides the evaluations which would serve as the justification for taking an action (or non-action). In short, any blistering of Smith must include the very same for Radcliff and quite likely Gardenhire as well, their input served as the basis for the organization to take an action, Smith was simply (as he has stated) the last signature on the paper. Smith was "an organization guy", he wasn't the commanding general.

9. These 3 users like Kwak's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (12-10-2013), johnnydakota (12-11-2013), Thrylos (12-10-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    One thing I do respect Bill Smith for is that he had the guts to at least try to make the big decisions that were coming after 2007 (Hunter($90)/Santana($137)/Mauer($189)/Morneau($80)/Cuddyer($24)/Nathan($47)). I feel that more of the reason that Terry Ryan left was that he didn't enjoy the "Big" contracts and felt that the negotiations and money involved were not exciting so he took his ball and went home to scouting to let someone else have to deal with this problem.

11. These 3 users like jharaldson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (12-10-2013), johnnydakota (12-11-2013), mike wants wins (12-10-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I absolutely believe that other people are involved in negotiations, especially early in the process.

But there's one guy who handles the final negotiations and puts pen to paper... The General Manager.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    I absolutely believe that other people are involved in negotiations, especially early in the process.

But there's one guy who handles the final negotiations and puts pen to paper... The General Manager.
    Final negotiations: the decision to "make a deal" was already made, now it's simply agreeing on the price. Contract negotiations--sounds like the final step to me--so where are Smith's fingerprints? He neither started things nor ended them. To me Smith was the perfect Patsy, if things went well it was due to the fine work of others, but if things soured--it was Smith's fault because his job had a fancy title. Considering that he has been painted as "the fall guy", it is a wonder that he retains employment with the Twins in any capacity.

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins Organization very rarely removes or fires anyone. They are seemingly loyal to a fault.

Bill Smith was removed from the position.

I have no inside knowledge but the fact that Bill Smith was removed when people rarely are... Tells me that... It was determined by the Twins that Bill Smith should not continue in the GM position for some reason.

I don't know about anyone else but that speaks pretty loudly to me.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 351 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jharaldson View Post
    One thing I do respect Bill Smith for is that he had the guts to at least try to make the big decisions that were coming after 2007 (Hunter($90)/Santana($137)/Mauer($189)/Morneau($80)/Cuddyer($24)/Nathan($47)). I feel that more of the reason that Terry Ryan left was that he didn't enjoy the "Big" contracts and felt that the negotiations and money involved were not exciting so he took his ball and went home to scouting to let someone else have to deal with this problem.
    A problem he created by not acting sooner.......
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Less than two months into Smith’s tenure as Twins general manager, free agent center fielder Torii Hunter signed a five-year, $90 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The Twins had been offering three years, and a candid Hunter later said that he probably would have signed for five years and $75 million. The consensus around baseball was that the Angels had significantly overpaid, but the Twins were still left with a crater in the middle of their outfield and their lineup.

Within a week, Smith moved to address this newly-created hole. He dealt 23-year-old starter Matt Garza—an elite pitching prospect whom Baseball Prospectus had ranked as baseball’s no. 13 prospect before the season—and starting shortstop Jason Bartlett to the Tampa Bay Rays for a package headlined by outfielder Delmon Young, the runner-up for AL Rookie of the Year Award the season before, who had checked in at no. 3 on that same BP list of prospects.

Less than two months later, the other shoe dropped. Fearing that the team would lose Johan Santana as it had lost Hunter, Smith pulled off a trade, sending Santana to the New York Mets in exchange for four prospects, including highly-touted center fielder Carlos Gomez (BP’s no. 34 overall prospect) and oft-injured pitcher Phillip Humber (no. 26). The moves, while defensible on paper, were controversial at the time, and they don’t look any better in retrospect.
    All because someone refused to go 5 years on Hunter.

17. This user likes Willihammer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TheLeviathan (12-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    All because someone refused to go 5 years on Hunter.
    Yeah, those two hanging threads left by Ryan can't be overstated. Smith's idiocy certainly hurt the team Ryan took over, but Ryan's indecision/inflexibility on those two pivotal players were huge issues to leave on Smith. Hell, one could argue Smith was the one that salvaged Mauer from having the same issue.

The guy wasn't a good GM and he needed to go, but some fairness in evaluating him would be nice. We can all be happy Ryan's back without painting the past with a pollyanna brush.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yeah, those two hanging threads left by Ryan can't be overstated. Smith's idiocy certainly hurt the team Ryan took over, but Ryan's indecision/inflexibility on those two pivotal players were huge issues to leave on Smith. Hell, one could argue Smith was the one that salvaged Mauer from having the same issue.

The guy wasn't a good GM and he needed to go, but some fairness in evaluating him would be nice. We can all be happy Ryan's back without painting the past with a pollyanna brush.
    Fairness in evaluation can not be accomplished when nobody can agree on what exactly a general manager does or doesn't do. Smith had a free agent to sign andd a star player to either trade or extend. Either he is capable of doing it from day one or he shouldn't have a leadership job. It is a game of blame someone for any mistake made. There isn't much Pollyanna on this board, just disagreements on processes that are not really known.
    Maybe when he retires Ryan will sit down with Bonnes and write an e book. Then we will all know the proocess and can rehash these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Fairness in evaluation can not be accomplished when nobody can agree on what exactly a general manager does or doesn't do. Smith had a free agent to sign andd a star player to either trade or extend. Either he is capable of doing it from day one or he shouldn't have a leadership job. It is a game of blame someone for any mistake made. There isn't much Pollyanna on this board, just disagreements on processes that are not really known.
    Maybe when he retires Ryan will sit down with Bonnes and write an e book. Then we will all know the proocess and can rehash these issues.
    While I agree that we can never know for sure, it completely kills any kind of discussion to conclude that. At the end of the day that title carries the weight of the decisions. Smith carries the weight of his blunders, but some of them were forced by Ryan's approach before leaving.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    While I agree that we can never know for sure, it completely kills any kind of discussion to conclude that. At the end of the day that title carries the weight of the decisions. Smith carries the weight of his blunders, but some of them were forced by Ryan's approach before leaving.
    Ryan absolutely left Smith in an ugly position. There's no doubt about that.

But given that bad situation, Smith went out and did just about the worst possible thing he could have done... Two or three times in a row. At the end of the day, I blame Ryan for punting on some important decisions but most of the blame falls on the guy who executed those trades in just about the worst way possible.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    To me Smith was the perfect Patsy, if things went well it was due to the fine work of others, but if things soured--it was Smith's fault because his job had a fancy title. Considering that he has been painted as "the fall guy", it is a wonder that he retains employment with the Twins in any capacity.
    If an organization was painting Smith to be the fall guy and patsy from the get-go, they wouldn't have kept him around after he was removed from the GM position. Why face ridicule for keeping a guy who the fan base thinks was a failure, a fan base whose main complaint is probably that the Twins are run like an Ol' Boys Club instead of a business? Following the logic breadcrumbs doesn't lead to a situation where Smith is still gainfully employed by this organization if they intentionally put him in the position of patsy. The Twins are not the Illuminati. You have to go pretty down the Conspiracy Theory rabbit hole to ignore all the contradictory evidence of him being set up to fail as some sort of high-level plot to... do something. I'm not quite clear on that part of the conspiracy.

Ryan absolutely left Smith in an ugly position. There's no doubt about that.

But given that bad situation, Smith went out and did just about the worst possible thing he could have done... Two or three times in a row. At the end of the day, I blame Ryan for punting on some important decisions but most of the blame falls on the guy who executed those trades in just about the worst way possible.
    Totally agree. Most of it does fall there, but there seems to be a strong urge to excuse Ryan and ignore the positives Smith had.

And just think how different we would perceive him if 2010 hadn't had a flukes concussion hurt the best player and Ramos hadn't got hurt literally days before he pulled the trigger on Cliff Lee.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree. Most of it does fall there, but there seems to be a strong urge to excuse Ryan and ignore the positives Smith had.

And just think how different we would perceive him if 2010 hadn't had a flukes concussion hurt the best player and Ramos hadn't got hurt literally days before he pulled the trigger on Cliff Lee.
    The Twins have really run into some **** luck when you get right down to it.

2006 they were a stellar team... And then Liriano goes down.

2010 they were a stellar team... And then Morneau goes down, Ramos gets injured and hurts his trade value.

Either one of those seasons, a healthy Twins team is a dominant force in the AL. It doesn't mean they would have won it all but it means they would have had a hell of a lot better shot at winning it all, that's for sure.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast