Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins & SS Stephen Drew?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3/$27M is VERY reasonable, but I doubt he signs for that. My guess is 2/$24M from the Sox.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    From where I'm standing it was the Twins' overvaluing of comp picks that's partly responsible for getting us into this mess. I'd gladly take Drew over another Shooter Hunt.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the idea of losing the 2nd round pick to sign Drew to the contract he likely wants, but if it's considerably less than the qualifying offer on a per year basis, I wouldn't be against it.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    If the Twins signed Drew, would they have to give up another pick for someone like Jimenez or Santana? If not, I could see that making sense.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'd jump in feet first.

Stephen Drew is 30 years old, plays excellent defense, has 15ish HR power, and gets on base at a pretty decent clip. He's a former top prospect that has had a very promising career arc short-circuited by a gruesome ankle injury that appears to be healed. And, of course, he plays at a position of tremendous need for the Twins. The biggest knock against him - he doesn't hit lefthanders.

As for his cost - he costs a lot because he's good. The Twins have that money in their budget, and frankly, I can't think of a better way for this team to spend $12M. I really can't.

As for the draft pick, it's a second round pick. The Twins last few second round picks are: Ryan Eades, Melotakis, Madison Boer, Niko Goodrum, Billy Bullock. I'll make that trade. I can see the argument that if they were going to give up a 2nd round pick, Jimenez or Santana are better, except:

1) The market is lot thinner for shortstops than for starting pitching. Alternatives existed for starting pitching and not as many exist for shortstop.
    2) Especially now that two starting pitchers have been signed, shorstop is a bigger need.

I've only had a little time to think about it, but off the top of my head, this would be my favorite move of the offseason. I just want to give a little more thought about what we do about left-handed pitching.

6. These 4 users like John Bonnes's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

raindog (12-11-2013), Siehbiscuit (12-11-2013), snepp (12-11-2013), Willihammer (12-10-2013)

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Every time he plays over 100 games, actually.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 161 Times in 95 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    If the Twins signed Drew, would they have to give up another pick for someone like Jimenez or Santana? If not, I could see that making sense.
    Then they would need to give up their 3rd pick for one of those guys.

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by richardkr34 View Post
    Every time he plays over 100 games, actually.
    This was in reference to someone asking how often Drew's WAR is 2.5-3.0.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I think many of us would like to think that the Twins' time in the bottom 10 will be fairly short-lived. As such, if we were ever going to sign a compensatory pick player NOW is the time. What better time than right before you get good?

Drew doesn't cost a second round pick. He costs a FIRST round pick. He costs US a 2nd round pick because we sucked last year. Next year we might not have that "luxury".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    Bonnes nailed it with this list: Ryan Eades, Melotakis, Madison Boer, Niko Goodrum, Billy Bullock

You can't let guys like those prevent you from signing players that you want/need

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm all for it. In any case you could always trade him, for more then a 2nd Rounder come playoff time anyways in case they do want to get rid of him.

In matter of fact, I can't think of a better move for the Twins to do this offseason.

Does Florimon become a utility player or does he have trade value given his salary and the lack of FA SS?

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    Does Florimon become a utility player or does he have trade value given his salary and the lack of FA SS?
    Utility player, which is realistically all he is anyways.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've actually come around to liking this idea more as I look around. Drew is very comparable to J.J. Hardy, both in offense and defense.

He makes up for the fewer HR's with a higher OBP, and while he's still not quite in J.J.'s territory defensively, he's not far behind and likely still an improvement on Florimon.

Considering I don't really like any of the Twins SS prospects until you get down to Niko Goodrum (and I think it can be argued they don't actually have a single legit SS prospect), I say go for it.
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

16. This user likes Steve Lein's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (12-11-2013)

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some interesting thoughts from Keith Law on Arizona's SS prospects:

"With Paul Goldschmidt kind of OK over there at first, Trumbo will have to play left field, which will bring back memories of Ryan Klesko for those of you old enough to remember that adventure; I can picture the Diamondbacks' front office sitting there at Salt River Fields in late March and wondering what the heck they'd done. The minor leaguers coming to Arizona -- one from the Angels, reportedly fringy relief prospect AJ Schugel, and one from the White Sox -- don't matter enough to change the fact that this is a net loss of value for the Diamondbacks.

There could be a ripple effect for Arizona, as now third baseman Matt Davidson becomes a surplus asset with Martin Prado likely moving from left field to third base. The Diamondbacks also have two comparable shortstops in Didi Gregorius and Chris Owings, only needing to keep one of them, and could try to use these two players to fill any remaining holes."

I wonder what it would take to get Chris Owings...

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like giving up a high draft pick.
    I don't like what is rumored for dollars.
    I don't like what is rumored for contract length.
    I don't like Drew's Injury History.
    I don't like his hitting stats post Age 27.
    I don't like that Arizona ran him out of town.
    I don't like that he turned down a fairly large qualifying offer from a World Championship team.
    I don't like this Nomad like bouncing around he's been doing.

I do like his D a little
    I like Florimon's D much better.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

19. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013), twinsfan34 (12-10-2013)

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I don't like giving up a high draft pick.
    I don't like what is rumored for dollars.
    I don't like what is rumored for contract length.
    I don't like Drew's Injury History.
    I don't like his hitting stats post Age 27.
    I don't like that Arizona ran him out of town.
    I don't like that he turned down a fairly large qualifying offer from a World Championship team.
    I don't like this Nomad like bouncing around he's been doing.

I do like his D a little
    I like Florimon's D much better.
    Can trade him later
    Might as well
    3 years? Can trade
    Fair enough
    He had a 109 wrc last year. I would love that.
    Badly run organization
    Who cares? He wants more years.
    He's played for all of two teams. If that's nomadic please don't talk to Octavio Dotel.

His D is less rangy but ranks higher in DRS. More solid where he is at. What's not to like? 50 points higher OBP and 100 SLG. He is a massive upgrade over Florimon!

21. This user likes SgtSchmidt11's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Member Rookie
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    Can trade him later
    Might as well
    3 years? Can trade
    Fair enough
    Badly run organization
    He's played for all of two teams. If that's nomadic please don't talk to Octavio Dotel.

His D is less rangy but ranks higher in DRS. More solid where he is at. What's not to like? 50 points higher OBP and 100 SLG. He is a massive upgrade over Florimon!
    Three teams: D-Backs, A's, BoSox

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Well, I'd jump in feet first.

Stephen Drew is 30 years old, plays excellent defense, has 15ish HR power, and gets on base at a pretty decent clip. He's a former top prospect that has had a very promising career arc short-circuited by a gruesome ankle injury that appears to be healed. And, of course, he plays at a position of tremendous need for the Twins. The biggest knock against him - he doesn't hit lefthanders.
    Drew has a .681 career OPS versus lefties. Florimon has a .601 career OPS.... total.

Any way you slice it, Drew is an upgrade. Fairness in conversation, I'm not a fan of Florimon.

24. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    Can trade him later
    Might as well
    3 years? Can trade
    Fair enough
    Badly run organization

Obviously... We see things differently.

I will give you this. Boston extended a qualifying offer to him for 14.1 Million.

That tells me that Boston liked him in the clubhouse. Even with Bogaarts knocking on the door.

Boston liking him in the clubhouse is different than other reports I've read on him... so... I'm not as solid a no as I was a year ago.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

26. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast