Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heyman: Twins have 4 starting pitchers on their list

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    5 pitchers now? Johan Santana?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we sign Garza or Arroyo, we could put together a nice package of prospects around Gibson for one of Az SS's Chris Owings or Didi Gregorius (not sure of spelling).

Sign Garza and JOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Because we will prolly need a fill in pitcher around summer.

Member Single-A
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think they do.

If you can get Matt Garza for four years and $60m, you make that deal all day and twice on Sundays.
    Where would you have drawn the line on Garza at the beginning of the off-season. Where do you draw it now, after signing Nolasco and Hughes?

Garza would have been my top priority. I had targeted 4 yr / $68M. I could easily add a team option with $4M buyout.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A. Preusser View Post
    I liked Diamond in the pen until I looked at his splits. As much as I enjoyed his nice 2012 I really think he's gone.

I look at it this way. There is a lot to like about Worley and Deduno. But would you rather have Worley or Garza? Would you rather have Deduno or Garza?

Nolasco
    Hughes
    Gibson
    Correia
    Garza

Take it a step further to next year:

Garza
    Nolasco
    Meyer
    Hughes
    Gibson

That is a playoff caliber rotation and we can have assembled it in less than 2 offseasons.

Author's note: I have been an active hater of Matt Garza for some time now, as evidenced by my avatar of him in a dress. If he can move past my disdain then I can as well.
    I'm not sure if you read anything I wrote at all, but I never compared it to having Garza or Worley/Deduno in the rotation. The fifth spot is where it's Worley/Deduno/Diamond/Gibson/Meyer competing.

I highly disagree with you about Gibson being handed the #3 starter spot heading into the season. As the Twins have done in the past, and ALWAYS WILL do, the Veterans without options will have the right to that #5 rotation spot until proven otherwise in the regular season.

In other words, if the Twins sign another SP, and 1 of Diamond, Worley, Deduno are healthy in ST, I'd bet 100 Dollars Mr. Gibson is in AAA to begin the year. I'm not even sure he has a chance if we don't sign another SP.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Where would you have drawn the line on Garza at the beginning of the off-season. Where do you draw it now, after signing Nolasco and Hughes?

Garza would have been my top priority. I had targeted 4 yr / $68M. I could easily add a team option with $4M buyout.
    With the added revenue coming into MLB this year, I thought Garza could get silly money... 5/$85m type stuff. He still might get it.

With Garza, it's not so much about the yearly salary. It's the fifth year. If he can be had for four years, I'm not sure I care about the per year cost.

I'm not even that keen on picking up two 30 year old FAs in the same offseason but damn, Nolasco/Garza for four years could be pretty awesome and by the time Buxton/Sano/Arcia are due raises, they'd all be off the books.

7. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AHSaves (12-11-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I think one thing we're ignoring is that Garza hasn't been great for a while - since 2010 his IP and WAR totals are roughly
    2010 205 and 1.7
    2011 198 and 2.8
    2012 103 and 1.2
    2013 155 and 1.4

He's not necessarily durable and he's older now. I think I'd prefer a smaller deal and look bigger next offseason.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So, Johan, Colon, Garza, Arroyo, and Pelfrey. Huh. Looks like the Twins are really pushing for a better rotation this season (no derp).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    With the added revenue coming into MLB this year, I thought Garza could get silly money... 5/$85m type stuff. He still might get it.

With Garza, it's not so much about the yearly salary. It's the fifth year. If he can be had for four years, I'm not sure I care about the per year cost.

I'm not even that keen on picking up two 30 year old FAs in the same offseason but damn, Nolasco/Garza for four years could be pretty awesome and by the time Buxton/Sano/Arcia are due raises, they'd all be off the books.
    Depends on how long they wait to offer extensions. If one of them turns into a super-star with the ability to be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Trout, I'd prefer the Twins to look to lock them up very early. If the Twins had Trout and were treating him the way the Angels currently are, I'd be getting pretty worried. I'd be talking extension now, if not last off-season.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If we sign Garza or Arroyo, we could put together a nice package of prospects around Gibson for one of Az SS's Chris Owings or Didi Gregorius (not sure of spelling).
    Buxton and/or Sano would have to be one of those prospects.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Depends on how long they wait to offer extensions. If one of them turns into a super-star with the ability to be mentioned in the same breath as Mike Trout, I'd prefer the Twins to look to lock them up very early. If the Twins had Trout and were treating him the way the Angels currently are, I'd be getting pretty worried. I'd be talking extension now, if not last off-season.
    Good point. I hadn't really thought about locking them up as they enter arb. It's a good policy for the right players, I think. Cleveland used it quite well a few years back, as did the Rays.

13. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-11-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Buxton and/or Sano would have to be one of those prospects.
    No, not even close.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
    How in the world do you get a big time bat with the likes of Correia and Gibson, no team would go for anything like that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think they are as high on May or Gibson as they once were. A big no on Pelfrey, geesh he was terrible by the eye test & has never been good. I'd rather watch Worley who I'm lower on than almost anyone on TD.

If they can land Garza though I would be ecstatic. After returning from injury Garza was nearly unhittable last year.

There's still legitimate concerns about the offense though. There aren't many clear ways to upgrade that other than Drew. The OF defense will be scary if it is Willingham & Arcia in the corners.

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
    So I think their ranking is

Arroyo is who they really want
    Colon is a plan B to that
    Garza is the all in
    Pelfry is the well nothing else worked out route
    Last edited by zchrz; 12-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Colon? Nope nev-vA we have plenty of soft tossers who are cheaper and who didnt get suspended. Right now we have
    Nolasco 3/4
    Correia 4/5
    Hughes ? 4-14 last season...Hope
    Diamond 5/6 hope
    DeDuno 3/4 hope
    Worley 4/5 hope
    If we are going to add a pitcher, he needs to be a front of the Rotation , as we have plenty of options for the back end already at a cheaper price (omg , terry is rubbing off on me =) )

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    The Mets got Colon on a two year deal. I think that's a "whew" in my book.

The Pirates also got Edinson Volquez. He was a sleeper I was interested in but considering the Francisco Liriano journey, going to Pittsburgh was likely a smart move. Going to Minnesota would have been the opposite.

20. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-11-2013)

I just saw Colon to the Mets for 2 years and 20 million. Glad they got him! Twins now have a less option for Arroyo. I hope the Twins either go all in in Garza or get away with two years on Arroyo. I hope this doesn't eliminate an option for Pelfrey and the Twins opt to bring him back.

I'd be thrilled with Garza, OK with Arroyo, and highly disappointed with Pelfrey.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colon's 2/$20M means that Arroyo will likely cost 3/$36M, which is insane, and Garza 4/$60M. Looks like the Twins got a bargain with both Nolasco and Hughes... Also sounds like they improved their 2/$10M offer to Pelfrey...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If the Twins are all in , maybe they should front load his contract ,4/64
    20,20,12,12, that way if they want to trade him in a couple years,
    He has more value in trade, and we have the money now with the All Star bump
    and next year we have Ham,Correia and Burton coming off the books

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast