Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Garza Return?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Unhappy Matt Garza Return?

So what kind of chance do we see a Matt Garza signing with the Twins? I forgot that the Cubs traded him to Texas so there is no compensation for signing Garza. So the Twins would keep their 2nd round pick. With Arizona and LA Angels better places to play with a lot better chance of winning than Minnesota it would be hard to see him sign here. If you take into thought his injury history and probably some bad blood from playing here I doubt the Twins sign him. I would expect the rumors that the Twins offered only 4 years and he needed that 5th year to sign.
    So who should be looked at to be the anchor of this staff or are the Twins going to go with what they have now?

2. This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Garza will follow the money.

Latest word is Diamondbacks will not go past 3 years and is set on Tanaka who they think will be posted. Garza is a So Cal guy yes? Probably gives Angels a little edge. It will probably be Pelfrey coming back, which I'm okay with. Garza would be really cool, but he's risky on a long term deal IMO

5. This user likes twinsfaninsaudi's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    F ya I'd go 5 years. By the time we need to extend our new aces these old farts will be gone. Our pitching is so suspect there is no need not to give these guys what they want. Hell if we sign Garza and Drew, we might be contenders for a wildcard spot. Imagine being a team contending for a playoff spot w/ the best farm system in the game. That sounds pretty sweet to me.

7. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    Latest word is Diamondbacks will not go past 3 years and is set on Tanaka who they think will be posted. Garza is a So Cal guy yes? Probably gives Angels a little edge. It will probably be Pelfrey coming back, which I'm okay with. Garza would be really cool, but he's risky on a long term deal IMO
    But the other rumor is that the Angels aren't close to signing anyone and Garza may be ready to sign in the next 24-48 hours. The Twins know they can't get Tanaka, the Dbacks and Angels think they can. Garza signing before Tanaka is posted is a big win for the Twins.

9. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013), InfraRen (12-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    F ya I'd go 5 years. By the time we need to extend our new aces these old farts will be gone. Our pitching is so suspect there is no need not to give these guys what they want. Hell if we sign Garza and Drew, we might be contenders for a wildcard spot. Imagine being a team contending for a playoff spot w/ the best farm system in the game. That sounds pretty sweet to me.
    Well I'd be fine with it if they give Garza 5 years. But I understand it if they don't. I think he'll 4/$60+ with a buyout anyhow.

I've got a special place in my heart for d-only shortstops so I want em to stick with Florimon. I'll even predict he improves in his 1.0 WAR from this past year.

11. This user likes twinsfaninsaudi's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    But the other rumor is that the Angels aren't close to signing anyone and Garza may be ready to sign in the next 24-48 hours. The Twins know they can't get Tanaka, the Dbacks and Angels think they can. Garza signing before Tanaka is posted is a big win for the Twins.
    Never question the Angels about signing a player. They don't leak information like some teams. I think they just came out and gave Torii Hunter an offer without many people knowing and probably the same with Pujols and Hamilton. So if the Angels are not being talked about, they are the team that is getting it down behind closed doors. Also, the Angels have an owner unlike the Twins who will spend money.

13. This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Also, the Angels have an owner unlike the Twins who will spend money unwisely and trade the farm away.
    Fixed it. (Though I suppose DiPoto deserves a large portion of the credit for the latter.)
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

15. This user likes B Richard's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would not mind Garza. At least the Twins would have 3 legit starting pitchers to rely on... which is 3 more than they've had since 2010.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Giving Garza 5 years would be assanine, FOR ANYBODY.

Best farm system in the game?

Try 2nd or 3rd .....maybe 4th or 5th.

Chicago Cubs > than ours

1. Javier Baez = or > than Miguel Sano
    2. Kris Bryant ....Very good 1B.
    3. Albert Almora
    4. Jorge Solar
    5. Arismendy Alcantara
    6. CJ Edwards / NieL Ramirez
    ..a bunch others.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post

Chicago Cubs > than ours

3. Albert Almora
    4. Jorge Solar
    5. Arismendy Alcantara
    ..a bunch others.
    Closet Cubs fan? Twins are top 3 at least.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,281 Times in 685 Posts
    Never question the Angels about signing a player. They don't leak information like some teams. I think they just came out and gave Torii Hunter an offer without many people knowing and probably the same with Pujols and Hamilton. So if the Angels are not being talked about, they are the team that is getting it down behind closed doors. Also, the Angels have an owner unlike the Twins who will spend money.
    Seems to me the Pohlads have spent a few bucks this off season and it would appear they have no issue with TR spending more of it.

I'd say the Twins are still in on Garza considering the noise surrounding Tanaka, I don't love 5 years but if that's what it took I'd be ok with it.

20. This user likes twinsnorth49's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Seems to me the Pohlads have spent a few bucks this off season and it would appear they have no issue with TR spending more of it.

I'd say the Twins are still in on Garza considering the noise surrounding Tanaka, I don't love 5 years but if that's what it took I'd be ok with it.
    Let's pat the Pohlad boys for spending a little after hoarding tons of cash for the last few years. Also, every MLB team just got I believe an additional $25M from the new MLB TV deal so they are just spending what they just got and really need to dig into their own pockets and fix this team ASAP!!!

22. This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by shs_59 View Post
    Giving Garza 5 years would be assanine, FOR ANYBODY.

Chicago Cubs > than ours

3. Albert Almora
    4. Jorge Solar
    5. Arismendy Alcantara
    ..a bunch others.
    Lol. ummmmm.....what!?

Let's pat the Pohlad boys for spending a little after hoarding tons of cash for the last few years. Also, every MLB team just got I believe an additional $25M from the new MLB TV deal so they are just spending what they just got and really need to dig into their own pockets and fix this team ASAP!!!
    From what i've read the Twins are receiving an addition $29M which they've invested in Nolasco (12M a year) and Hughes (8M a year). If they decide Garza is the guy they could spend 15M a year on him and be in very good financial position in the future.

Remember too that Willingham and Correia are coming off the books at seasons end which saves the team 13M. It will also open up a slot in the rotation in 2015 for Meyer, May and Gibson.

I'd tell Ryan to forget about Pelfrey.
    Last edited by laloesch; 12-12-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also, the Angels have an owner unlike the Twins who will spend money.
    It's hard not to be impressed by the Angels' four consecutive seasons of missing the playoffs.

The Twins have been to the playoffs more recently than the Angels.

26. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (12-12-2013), ChiTownTwinsFan (12-12-2013)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The more I think about it, the more I'd prefer Pelfrey at two years than Arroyo at three, not to mention that Pelfrey will demand about half the yearly salary.

I hate watching Pelfrey pitch. Hate it hate it hate it. Dude spends 20 seconds frenching his hand, paces around the mound, and probably cooks a pot roast between pitches... I don't know because I've usually fallen asleep by that point.

But he's seven years younger than Arroyo. He's not going to take the "welcome to the American League, here's a half run tacked to your ERA" hit to his stats like Arroyo. Neither pitcher strikes anybody out.

Given that situation, may as well go with the cheaper, younger, shorter-term guy who you can jettison if he flops.

28. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-12-2013)

Going 5 years for a 30 y/o #3 SP is not a very good idea for a contender and it is very bad idea for a rebuilding club. Hold on to the payroll flexibility and sign a true top of the rotation guy next year when Correia departs.

I agree Pelfrey for 2 years would be preferable to Arroyo for 3. Pass if it takes 3 years for Arroyo.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 12-12-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Mlbtraderumors:

• There's a growing feeling among executives that Garza will sign soon, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who tweets that the D-Backs and Angelsare viewed as the favorites.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To me, Garza sounds like a pretty close comp to Anibal Sanchez one year ago. Both have had a pretty consistent track record of posting ERAs under 4 with a solid but not spectacular strikeout rate.

Sanchez got 5 years/$80M but he was 28. I would think the market price for Garza would be something like 4/64. I could see the Twins going 5/80 on him and not thing it's extravagent.

BTW, after improving last year, that signing of Sanchez looks like genius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast