Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MLB votes to ban home plate collisions

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

MLB votes to ban home plate collisions

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/mlb/...&vkey=news_mlb

Saw this today - not surprised. Won't solve all the issues but given the growing body of research on concussions it was probably inevitable. I know some will say it changes the game, and I'm sympathetic to those concerns. That said, I think this is a good step.

2. This user likes IdahoPilgrim's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It'll all depend on how the new regulations are written up. If it's clear where the runner is supposed to be and where the catcher is supposed to be, it has a chance. If there's a gray area, there will just be endless rhubarbs.

4. These 3 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013), johnnydakota (12-12-2013), Willihammer (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Not surprising that they would take away the most exciting play in the sport. Way to try and be like the NFL.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Not surprising that they would take away the most exciting play in the sport. Way to try and be like the NFL.
    My thoughts exactly!.. But at least we have instant replay now, so coaches can throw the challenge flag on any controversial slide play unless of course the play happens after the eighth inning when, by rule, all replay reviews come from the booth. [cue MNF theme]

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll admit - I didn't think this would happen this soon. Good for them. It sounds like it's not official yet, but everyone thinks it will pass the rules committee now, provided they can get criteria that everyone agrees with. It should be in place by Opening Day.

8. This user likes Twins Daily Admin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

It's not even close to being the most exciting play? More times than not its a dick move by the runner who doesn't even need to make contact with the catcher.

10. These 3 users like Pius Jefferson's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-12-2013), jm3319 (12-13-2013), Mr. Brooks (04-06-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    It's not even close to being the most exciting play
    Your list?

Just for the record: I am not pro collision. I don't care to go back and watch the bad ones.

Did some further reading and I'm actually in favor of what they're proposing, basically a rule for moving the catcher away from home plate (blocking plate would be obstruction and award the run) and heavy penalty against a base runner for intentionally ramming a catcher. Enforcement of the rule might be when a home plate umpire steps forward into the play and waves time out if the catcher is blocking the plate and/or a collision seems likely to happen. Makes sense to me. So mea culpa for not being up to speed on where people and the league stand on this.

Personally I wish the MLB would frame this more as a rule change than a "ban" on behavior, which is where my snark and the knee jerk for it / against it reaction comes from.

14. This user likes Hosken Bombo Disco's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "The fact of the matter is we still have [to receive approval from the MLBPA and umpires union], so there is really nothing that is in stone at this point in time,"
    I'm having a hard time imagining why either of those groups would be in favor. Esp. umpires.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    Great move. Now enforce the rule you have to actually try to touch 2B when breaking up a double play, and the game is much better in one year, imo. I'd rather watch great players be healthy, than a random take out play that causes someone to miss time any day.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 864 Times in 555 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not even close to being the most exciting play? More times than not its a dick move by the runner who doesn't even need to make contact with the catcher.
    I'd have to ask you to show your math on that claim-

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I don't agree with a lot of the rule changes that MLB has in the works, but I support this one. I'm thinking of the 2008 game 163 where Griffey Jr. gunned down Cuddyer at the plate by a mile, and Cuddy still leveled AJ anyways.

Not that I think Cuddyer is a dirty player, as this rule wasn't in effect, but there's no reason for that kind of collision.

19. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I don't agree with a lot of the rule changes that MLB has in the works, but I support this one. I'm thinking of the 2008 game 163 where Griffey Jr. gunned down Cuddyer at the plate by a mile, and Cuddy still leveled AJ anyways.

Not that I think Cuddyer is a dirty player, as this rule wasn't in effect, but there's no reason for that kind of collision.
    There is an obvious reason- to try and knock the ball away so you can score. Torii was on mlbn having a near meltdown about it (of course we all remember him leveling Burke). I absolutely hate the pussification of football and I hate how it's trending that way in baseball too.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    There is an obvious reason- to try and knock the ball away so you can score. Torii was on mlbn having a near meltdown about it (of course we all remember him leveling Burke). I absolutely hate the pussification of football and I hate how it's trending that way in baseball too.
    Any change that improves player safety I think is a good one. And I wouldn't use the term that you do.

It's been trending that way forever, BTW. If you think that the game is too soft, maybe we should take away the batting helmets, catchers' gear, and the barriers in front of the dugout.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand the passions on both sides of this issue. I do wonder, though, for those who feel additional player protection is unnecessary, either in football or in baseball, what will happen to these sports if they don't evolve to reflect modern medical understanding. Already you are hearing ex-NFL players say they wouldn't let their children play the sport, knowing now what they didn't know then. Back in the 1900s Teddy Roosevelt pushed for changes in the game of football, not to take away the physical nature of the game, but to control it and reduce the casualty rate and prevent the game from disappearing. Some major colleges had dropped the game due to the death rate. The rules were rewritten to restrain the worst of the violence and the game was saved.

Is this the start of a similar push here - not the emasculate the game we love but to save it for the future?

23. This user likes IdahoPilgrim's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Mr. Brooks (04-06-2014)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 72 Times in 49 Posts
    I personally have never been a big fan of the home plate collision. It doesn't really make the game better in my opinion. The ball rarely comes out of the catchers glove anyway. It has always seemed like a cheese ball cheap shot play to me. Yeah I get that it shows a never die never give up attitude but if it has the potential to ruin careers then getting rid of it is a good thing in my opinion. I won't miss it one bit as there will still be plenty of plays at the plate minus the injuries.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Comparing baseball to football in this respect seems pretty asinine to me its a contact sport vs primarily non contact sport. There are deliberate rules already in place about obstructing a runner at the other places on the field, why the discrepancy here?

It's not even close to being the most exciting play
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosken Bombo Disco View Post
    Your list?
    This wasn't directed at me, but here's a list off the top of my head:

Plays I think are more exciting than bowling over the catcher:

• Suicide Squeeze
    • Triple Plays
    • Stealing Home
    • Grand Slams
    • Robbing Home Runs
    • Diving catches in the outfield
    • Gunning a runner down at the plate on a fly-out, even if the catcher doesn't get plowed into
    • Walkoff Home Runs

Every pitch of these other baseball situations (not exactly plays) are more exciting to me than bowling over the catcher:

• No-Hitters after the 7th inning
    • Bottom of the ninth down by 1 with a runner in scoring position
    • Game 7 of the world series

Think of the 91 world series. Puckett's catch and home run in game 6, and every pitch of game 7 were more exciting that Harper getting plowed into. I don't even remember for sure who did the plowing - was it Lonnie Smith? Heck, I even liked the Kent Hrbek/Ron Gant controversy better. Oh, and Rick Aguilera pinch-hitting in game 3.

I could go on, but I think it's obvious where I stand.

27. This user likes Sssuperdave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jm3319 (12-13-2013)

I like the following:
    A) Fewer guys missing time with injuries
    B) More guys that don't have concussions.

I think this rule helps on both fronts.

If there needs to be a replacement, allow me to suggest more bench-clearing brawls, which seldom lead to injuries or concussions but are so, so much fun.

29. This user likes Jon Marthaler's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-12-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast