Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fangraphs top twins list

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts

Fangraphs top twins list

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-...nnesota-twins/

Nice things to say about the Twins - "The organization is positioning itself to be a true powerhouse in the American League Central." Credits the Twins for finding impact players in the draft, trades and international signings.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Solid read. Lots of good info. I'm in the minority but I have Stewart #3 and Meyer #4. I don't care that Meyer is closer. Stewart's all around package is insane.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts
    Seems to me like Danny Santana is too high. He'll slug like Ben Revere, walk like Ben Revere, but won't put up a batting average over .300 to mitigate the other lacks. I just don't see him topping a .650 OPS in the majors, but I'd love to be wrong.

Also, I think Gonsalves could have been in the honorable mention spot, probably over Turner.

Oh well. I'm just picking nits but still excited about the prospects over all.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just wonder how many times Marc Hulet watched these guys play or even followed them through the season (other than the top 3 perhaps), instead of looking up other top prospect lists like Mayo's and Callis'... I suspect not that many. That's why I really shy away from most of the national team top prospect lists. BA and mlb.com and minorleagueball.com (or whatever Sickels calls his site) are the exceptions. The rest are pretty derivitive... There were national lists this time last season having Michael in the top ten...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 367 Times in 230 Posts
    Agreed that Santana might be too high, though prospect rankers do love their shortstops. I'm not as high on Walker as many are, mostly because of his low BB/OBP skills, but he's normally in this range.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    He mentions questioning Sano's age, I hadn't heard anything on that front for quite some time. Also didn't Sano get a fair amount of extra scrutiny when he turned 16 about his age? Seems like it probably would've come out then.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    He mentions questioning Sano's age, I hadn't heard anything on that front for quite some time. Also didn't Sano get a fair amount of extra scrutiny when he turned 16 about his age? Seems like it probably would've come out then.
    When you are 20 and look the way Sano does people will always question. MLB did a lot of tests and came back saying he was 16 when signed. I'm not worried about it at all.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I really liked Hulet's comments about Stewart - could be a top 20 guy next year. I think I tend to be a little down on him simply because he isn't in that same Sano/Buxton/Meyer etc group that has been debuting between last season and 2015. But he and Thorpe and Berrios make a nice potential group coming in a year or so later than that. And maybe quicker depending on how fast the Twins promote.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    That was put to bed years ago. They carbon dated his right arm and found he contained 3% pterodactyl DNA.

10. These 4 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-12-2013), diehardtwinsfan (12-12-2013), Riverbrian (12-13-2013), USAFChief (12-13-2013)

A little bit after that article they posted the Steamer projections for the Twins top prospects if they hypothetically played a full year in the majors. Now these are just projections and just kind of a fun thing to look at in the offseason, but they have Josmil Pinto at 2.7 WAR with a defense of 10. I'm just sayin, I wouldn't complain if that happened.

You can see the rest here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/steam...ins-prospects/
    Once held a .900 OBP in Church League Softball.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Is TJ surgery really a concern for Sano right now? I hadn't heard anything negative on his elbow injury recently so I assumed his recovery/rehab was going well.

Would much appreciate it if someone who knows more than I would comment on to what extent we should be concerned over Sano's elbow and the possibility of TJ.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I didn't like this list much past Rosario.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2014 is the year Kepler needs to show us something. I kinda like Santana but I would put Thorpe in his place given some of the recent scouting reports.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Is TJ surgery really a concern for Sano right now? I hadn't heard anything negative on his elbow injury recently so I assumed his recovery/rehab was going well.

Would much appreciate it if someone who knows more than I would comment on to what extent we should be concerned over Sano's elbow and the possibility of TJ.
    TJS is always a concern for any elbow that's been carbon dated.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

16. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (12-13-2013), ChiTownTwinsFan (12-13-2013), Riverbrian (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Yeah. Kepler and Santana were both strange inclusions so high on the list.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 129 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Briley View Post
    A little bit after that article they posted the Steamer projections for the Twins top prospects if they hypothetically played a full year in the majors. Now these are just projections and just kind of a fun thing to look at in the offseason, but they have Josmil Pinto at 2.7 WAR with a defense of 10. I'm just sayin, I wouldn't complain if that happened.

You can see the rest here: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/steam...ins-prospects/
    However the scouting report that was posted brought up a couple of concerns which could cause his MiLB numbers (Steamer projections are based on them) to dip as he moves up to the majors. I would move him up over Santana and Kepler though.

I think it says something for the system that Walker and Vargas are excluded. Same goes for Eades. Typically 2nd rd picks are near locks to be top 15 prospects in a farm system.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    You don't like the players or you don't like the list?

Santana is the head-scratcher to me. I wouldn't put him that high.

Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post

LEN III just addressed this:

And here's a Miguel Sano update. The slugging prospect was shut down early in winter ball season because of a strained right ulnar collateral ligament. But he's been examined in Fort Myers, Fla., and has been given a clean bill of health. He'll return to the Dominican Republic, where he'll resume throwing, then return to Fort Myers in January to train in advance of the 2014 season.

Hopefully it really is behind him. When they let him play during Spring Training I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

This is a derivative list. Mayo has Santana 12th, so he will be high in a lot of the derivatives. Another example: Sickels got Thorpe 7th so a lot of the derivatives (like Parks' in BP) jumped on that bandwagon.

Easy. Imagine trying to make an Astros prospect list from scratch without following the Astros. You look at existing lists and mix and match. That's what most of the National guys do with Twins' lists.

That's why all the national lists other than Mayo's/mlb.com, BA's and Sickels' are pretty much worthless.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 12-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    You don't like the players or you don't like the list?

Didn't like where they were ranked. Pinto was too low. Santana and Kepler have no business being there. Polanco is arguable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast