Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Article: Twins Sign Jason Kubel to a Minor League Deal

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 852 Times in 548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    MLB Trade Rumors said that Kubel received a major league offer from the Orioles.
    Man, Baltimore sure loves former-Twins! I'm sure they would have claimed Hendriks if the Cubs didn't claim him!

The O's are also finalists for Grant Balfour. All joking aside, it seems like the Orioles would make a good trade partner for the Twins. Let's go Terry.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A little off topic, but I just don't get the disdain towards Ryan Doumit. I've read on and on about how bad Doumit is behind the plate, and in the outfield (which I agree with). But, now I keep seeing suggestions of replacing him with inferior players.

First it was John Buck. An equally inept catcher who sports a career wRC+ of 85 compared to Doumit's 104.

Now it's Kubel. Who has a career wRC+ of 107 compared to Doumit's 104. Kubel's career UZR/150 in the outfield is (-15.0) compared to Doumit's (-10.6). So it's not like he's bringing in any additional defensive value. If anything, Kubel's even worse.

Doumit is essentially John Buck and Jason Kubel merged together. A switch hitter who's a poor defensive catcher/outfielder that hits above league average. Yet, the Twins should replace him with guys who do half of what he does?

I'm all for upgrading the team. But, you could do a lot worse than Ryan Doumit. You could have John Buck or Jason Kubel instead.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danchat View Post
    MLB Trade Rumors said that Kubel received a major league offer from the Orioles.
    Man, Baltimore sure loves former-Twins! I'm sure they would have claimed Hendriks if the Cubs didn't claim him!
    The Orioles had priority over the Cubs. So if they wanted him they could've had him. All 14 AL teams passed on Hendriks.

I'm okay with the move. They aren't counting on him, so anything he can do is a bonus.

Now is the time for TR to strike a deal. We need to get rid of some of these log "toothpick" jams, or whatever you guys are calling them now haha.

Deal a prospect a couple relievers, Diamond, Doumit and find a back-up catcher and a hitter or SP.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I think it's time to clean out some reliever "depth". The Twins simply have too many warm bodies, most of which have shown the talent to get MLB hitters out on a regular basis. Move at least one - maybe two - of them.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trade 2-3 relievers for prospects and whoever loses the fifth starter battle and is out of options gets a bullpen spot LR/6th starter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456