Thread: Twins Offer Pelfrey 2/12

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Offer Pelfrey 2/12

Per Aaron Gleeman
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-mike-pelfrey/

The Twins offseason isn't safe until Arroyo, Pelfrey, Buck, and Drew are all signed by other teams. They certainly aren't making it easy. I have a bad feeling no other team will outbid them for whatever Pelfrey is supposed to do.

Liked 321 Times in 191 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Per LEN3, not Gleeman. He is just linking to LEN's piece.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 12-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    I don't know why the Twins can't just draw a hard line for Pelfrey. Take it or leave it, last year wasn't very good. I know his agent is Scott Boras, but unless the Twins are trying to butter Boras up and give him a "moral" victory to help them with future negotiations (Please Alex Meyer, switch agents now!), I don't know who they think they are competing against. I really doubt another team has a better offer out there in terms of both money and years.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't mind this deal. As much hate as there is for Pelfrey, he is a guy that would be a solid option for the back of the rotation. I'd much rather see Pelfrey in the rotation than Deduno.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    I wouldn't mind this deal. As much hate as there is for Pelfrey, he is a guy that would be a solid option for the back of the rotation. I'd much rather see Pelfrey in the rotation than Deduno.
    If the Twins can get the Pelfrey of the second half of the season he is worth signing, if they get the first half Pelfrey then I'd say no thanks.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
    I don't disagree, and maybe it's too much gamesmanship on my part, but I'd rather see two years of the guys we have questions about (Deduno/Worley/Diamond/Gibson and soon others) than two years of Pelfrey. If we're going to give up on some of our young pitchers, I'd rather the upgrade be much more significant than Pelfrey (though the choice is probably more complicated than just that).

As I said in another thread, I'm not sure what Pelfrey can be holding out for other than a higher AAV one-year deal, hoping to get paid in 2014...

7. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-13-2013)

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I fear Ryan is playing Pelfrey offer against Garza offer, and whoever signs first is the last pitcher. I sure hope it isn't Pelfrey.

9. This user likes h2oface's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I don't disagree, and maybe it's too much gamesmanship on my part, but I'd rather see two years of the guys we have questions about (Deduno/Worley/Diamond/Gibson and soon others) than two years of Pelfrey. If we're going to give up on some of our young pitchers, I'd rather the upgrade be much more significant than Pelfrey (though the choice is probably more complicated than just that).

As I said in another thread, I'm not sure what Pelfrey can be holding out for other than a higher AAV one-year deal, hoping to get paid in 2014...
    My thoughts exactly, and exactly those four guys. Even maybe Albers and Swarzak.

Ryan has had a very nice offseason. A rotation of four free agents (that is, Nolasco-Hughes-Correia-Pelfrey) is an improvement but it feels awfully, awfully crowded for the other guys. It says the Twins aren't in the business of developing starting pitching. Not all teams are; but it goes against Ryan's "shortcuts" philosophy. Whatever. As long as it gets us back to winning. It also taxes the mind why Pelfrey hasn't accepted that offer.

Liked 688 Times in 444 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree... I won't mind Pelfrey coming back. He was pitching much better as he moved along from his surgery. Maybe 2014 is better still as he moves further along.

BUT... I continue to not understand what anyone has against Deduno. Before he got hurt... he was the only pitcher we had who was dominant at times. Unless his shoulder has killed him... I see no reason to set him adrift.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

12. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Bark's Lounge (12-13-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Why?

14. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (12-13-2013)

While not a popular choice for a free agent signing, it would set up the contracts for the starters to have one position open up each year as the contracts expire. Correia 1yr, Pelfrey 2 yrs, Hughes 3 yrs, Nolasco 4yrs, with the 5th spot open for a player to come up from Rochester.
    One of the problems of the past year was of too many of the young pitchers being rushed to the majors before they were ready. I don't want to watch minor league pitchers at the major league level.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 136 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if Garza can be had for the numbers quoted here. Garza is the superior option for next year and beyond. He hasn't been an ace, but he is a decent #2/#3. Pelfrey figures to be improved. I'll make the fairly weak prediction that he'll have better numbers than at least one of the three free agents currently in the rotation. Two years for $12M is not a bargain, but it would be fair value for a 30 y.o. #3/#4, which I think he'll pan out to be.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The problem with this deal isn't Pelfrey but rather timing. If the Twins make a deal for Pelfrey now then it eliminates them from signing/trading for a better pitcher that falls through the cracks this offseason.

I can't believe he's not signing this offer. He doesn't seem like an attractive FA but perhaps he actually wants a 1 yr contract while TR wants to lock in 2 yrs at what he perceives as a discount.