Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Claim Hendricks

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Cubs Claim Hendricks

It is being reported that the Cubs have claimed Liam Hendricks.

2. This user likes SweetOne69's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    I have a feeling that this will wind up being a good move for the Cubs. I still don't understand how he was the guy that got cut.

4. This user likes raindog's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    I have a feeling that this will wind up being a good move for the Cubs. I still don't understand how he was the guy that got cut.
    I know a lot of people didn't really care to about Hendriks being waived, but I think that if the situation were reversed and the Cubs had waived him and Twins claimed him, we'd think it was a smart move.

6. These 2 users like Alex's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

benchwarmerjim (12-13-2013), glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    I doubt this hurts us but good luck to him.

8. These 2 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

diehardtwinsfan (12-14-2013), glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Don't pitch him when the wind is blowing out. If he's an April and September pitcher he might be marginal.

10. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Meh. He's still pretty young, but no one was fooled by his pitches. Maybe Twins pitchers are too predictable. If he figures it out somewhere else, super for him. The team needs to move on from guys who've failed for 2+ years without any big league success to speak of.

12. This user likes VandyTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    Don't pitch him when the wind is blowing out. If he's an April and September pitcher he might be marginal.
    This is a really good point. He's an extreme fly ball pitcher who struggled in one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in baseball. In the end, he just ran out of chances to take his minor league success to the MLB.

I wish him well and hope he makes the adjustments he needs to succeed in the majors.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

14. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    would be interesting to see what he does. .350 BABIP and 14% HR/FB rates will improve. He led the Twins' starters in K% last season and had FIPs in the 2s and 3s in AAA. And he is 24. His fastball needs fixing for sure. GB/FB rates reversed the last couple seasons (which was not too good with that 14% HR/FB) I wonder how hurt he really was last season too.

Wishing him the best other than when he pitches against the Twins...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

16. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

He basically was a poor man's Kevin Slowey IMO, and that isn't really a compliment. Both guys did well in the minors because they had decent control. However the lack of movement and keeping the ball down really killed Hendrik's during his time in the majors.
    I mean it would be nice to see him turn it around because he seems like a solid enough guy, I just don't see it happening. And for all the talk about the Twins choosing to cut him instead of someone else, I dont really get the argument. Yes, he has more upside then Albers, but Albers prob has a much better shot at helping the Twins this year.

18. This user likes David Woodley's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    Hendriks got claimed by one of the teams with the highest waiver priorities. I would think other teams would also have claimed him then also. Too bad the Twins couldn't work out any kind of trade for a non-roster player.

20. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    would be interesting to see what he does. .350 BABIP and 14% HR/FB rates will improve. He led the Twins' starters in K% last season and had FIPs in the 2s and 3s in AAA. And he is 24. His fastball needs fixing for sure. GB/FB rates reversed the last couple seasons (which was not too good with that 14% HR/FB) I wonder how hurt he really was last season too.
    I've noticed that many posters here like to point to outliers in player stats and say they will improve/regress based on that. For proven players, I think this is a reasonable thing to do. But for guys who've never had success...maybe they're just not good enough. Maybe his fastball is too easy to see and square up. Maybe he's just not a big league pitcher.

I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking your post. I regard your comments quite highly. I just think people too easily fall into that statistical analysis routine. This is not to say that you're wrong. It's possible that poor pitchers don't have BABIP rates that high. I honestly don't know (I guess I could compare him to the rest of the 2013 staff!). I'm just wary of the prediction is all.

Agreed.

22. This user likes VandyTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Hendriks got claimed by one of the teams with the highest waiver priorities. I would think other teams would also have claimed him then also. Too bad the Twins couldn't work out any kind of trade for a non-roster player.
    Pretty sure that all of the AL clubs had a shot on him and passed. THEN it goes to the Senior Circuit. Fairly certain that's how it works. Anyways it's worth watching to see if the Cubbies just try to pass him off right away again.

24. This user likes SgtSchmidt11's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries

They could have just been sitting dead red on a no-movement not terribly great fastball. Not to hard when it doesn't take much to adjust to the off-speed stuff.

26. This user likes SgtSchmidt11's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    Pretty sure that all of the AL clubs had a shot on him and passed. THEN it goes to the Senior Circuit. Fairly certain that's how it works. Anyways it's worth watching to see if the Cubbies just try to pass him off right away again.
    Book it....on both of your good points.

28. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    You are correct about the waiver process. But Hendricks has an option left so they can send him to AAA. He will only have to pass through waivers again if the Cubs need a spot on the 40-man roster and DFA him.

30. This user likes SweetOne69's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,297 Times in 1,752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyways it's worth watching to see if the Cubbies just try to pass him off right away again.
    Yes, and for now, they have plenty of 40-man room. Two open slots if I counted correctly.

32. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Woodley View Post
    He basically was a poor man's Kevin Slowey IMO, and that isn't really a compliment. Both guys did well in the minors because they had decent control.
    Don't look now, but Kevin Slowey is hot on the heels of both Nolasco and Hughes in career ERA+. And the equal of Pelfrey. (Actually, he's almost certainly the equal of Hughes too if you exclude Hughes' time in the bullpen.)

34. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel a little like Hendriks like I do Parmelee - I wanted him to just tread water a little longer until he figured out how to stick around a while. I still think he could, but it was hard to watch him implode for one inning in every start.

36. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Don't look now, but Kevin Slowey is hot on the heels of both Nolasco and Hughes in career ERA+. And the equal of Pelfrey. (Actually, he's almost certainly the equal of Hughes too if you exclude Hughes' time in the bullpen.)
    And yet he only hit 160 IP in a season once, and was let go by both the Twins and Cleveland (and booted from the rotation by the hapless Marlins)

Clearly every GM and scout in baseball has missed the mark on the great Kevin Slowey.

It reminds me a lot of the Slowey situation, but even more legitimate (to let Hendriks go) People were freaking when Slowey was let go by the Twins, but he has done absolutely nothing since then to make the Twins regret it in the least.

I can't see Hendriks doing much of anything to make the Twins regret it. (anything more than a nice 5-6 game run or something)

38. This user likes SpiritofVodkaDave's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 197 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I feel a little like Hendriks like I do Parmelee - I wanted him to just tread water a little longer until he figured out how to stick around a while. I still think he could, but it was hard to watch him implode for one inning in every start.
    I agree with this. I mean, I understand why they let him go even if he wouldn't have been my first choice. But as a guy who insisted that Hendriks could put it all together and be a serviceable starter (and who thus looks a little silly now), I saw something that indicated potential.

And he hung around the majors for awhile anyway, even putting together some pretty good starts, if not enough to overcome the garbage ones. I'm surprised there's so little consternation here with all that went down when Joe Benson was let go, and he was a guy who never did anything above AA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast