Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who gets DFA'ed?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of a trade.

Relievers seem to have quite a bit of value. Jerry Blevins just landed the A's a nice prospect.

Worley and Diamond should still have some value as well. Both have had MLB success, are still young and cost controlled.

2. These 2 users like JP3700's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (12-15-2013), johnnydakota (12-15-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DuluthFan View Post
    Considering Diamond, Deduno and Worley are all out of options and two of them will need to be dfa'd in the spring (only one rotation spot available now), I would guess one of these pitchers will be dfa'd. There is still a possibility that one or two of them may still be recovering from their injuries from the past season, in which case one may end up on the 60 day DL to start the year. In that case you dfa the pitcher with the least chance of making the opening day roster based on past lack of success (Worley?).

If the possibility of 60 DL stints for the above pitchers is unclear, they could dfa a position player where there is no position available. Since Mauer is the starting 1st baseman for the foreseeable future, Parmalee and Colabello become expendable.

My gut says Worley gets cut. I can see Gibson or Albers beating out Worley on the depth chart.
    Just because a roster decision regarding Duduno/Diamond/Worley needs to be made by opening day that doesn't mean that the decision should be made in December.

In addition it's possible that a starting pitcher goes down with an injury in spring training opening a spot and it's also possible that one of the starting spot losers makes the team as a long reliever.

4. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (12-15-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt that the Twins use only six or seven starters. Injuries and ineffectiveness will happen. If Ryan thinks the out-of-options guys can help then it is his job to find a way to keep them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    I would guess Colabello. His AB potential plummeted between Mauer and Kubel. We still don't have tremendous CF depth until either Hicks proves he's here to stay or Buxton is ready, so Mastrianni probably has another life left in him.
    I agree with you this is how it will work out. I would rather see Kris Johnson go--but I don't think the Twins will let go of a lefty pitcher--no matter how limited his prospect for success.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    I believe it will be a LHP--one that is the easiest to trade for a useful minor leaguer. Might even be Duensing, but Diamond and Albers qualify.

I agree with those who say Collabello. Great story with his long minor league history and stats, but doesn't appear that he will ever be an impact player in MLB.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty74 View Post
    I agree with those who say Collabello. Great story with his long minor league history and stats, but doesn't appear that he will ever be an impact player in MLB.
    It's a little soon to make that statement, don't you think?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 125 Times in 88 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It's a little soon to make that statement, don't you think?
    The age thing. Colabello is 30 (he's older than Pelfrey) already. I'm no expert but the swing and his swing mechanics just don't look polished enough to hit big league pitching. Ever. Add to it that he is marginal at first base and doesn't belong anywhere else in the field, and you have a player who doesn't belong on a 40-man roster.

10. These 2 users like stringer bell's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DAM DC Twins Fans (12-16-2013), snepp (12-15-2013)

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 275 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maestro
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Just because a roster decision regarding Duduno/Diamond/Worley needs to be made by opening day that doesn't mean that the decision should be made in December.

In addition it's possible that a starting pitcher goes down with an injury in spring training opening a spot and it's also possible that one of the starting spot losers makes the team as a long reliever.
    The long reliever position is currently filled by Swarzak, who doesn't appear to be going anywhere and doesn't look like he will be beat out by Deduno/Diamond/Worley. There are no salary pressures forcing the Twins to move him.

It is possible that an injury to one of the opening day starters could open a spot for one of these pitchers in spring training, but they would then have to be waived before being sent down to AAA when the regular pitcher returns. If one of these three pitchers were to be put on the 60 day DL in spring training like what happened to Deduno last season, they could be 'saved' from being waived but they would need to return to the major league team (after a rehab stint) or face being waived at that point to send him to AAA.

So who should be dfa'd now? The pitcher with the lowest chance of making the opening day roster. Look at the available pitchers on the roster. First choose the five opening day starters. Nolasco, Hughes, Correia & Pelfrey seem locks right now. Who's the fifth? Pick any one, it doesn't matter right now. What are you left with? These will be the Rochester pitchers to start the season (let's assume everyone clears waivers). Rank them according to the order in which you would call them up to cover an injury at the MLB level. Got the list? So who gets called up first? This will be the person who gets to fill the hypothetical spring training rotation spot that opens up due to an injury. Keep in mind, when the injured pitcher comes back, the fill-in will need to be optioned back to Rochester. Look at your ranked list of AAA pitchers. Are Diamond/Deduno/Worley on the list? If yes, then they will need to clear waivers before being sent to Rochester. Since they are out of options, they will need to be dfa'd. At least one of them will not make the team.

So who is least likely to make the Twins opening day roster among Diamond/Deduno/Worley? From past performances, Worley seems the least likely. Deduno seems to be favored and Diamond has shown some success. Now factor in the other pitchers competing in the Twins system. Gibson and Albers have both pitched at the major league level with better success than Worley. May and Meyer are also expected to compete soon. By the time Worley figures it out, there will be younger players with options waiting to take his place.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello, Fryer won't be until/less a catchers signed. Worley will be after ST.

I think Albers has a chance to be a real good lefty in the pen.

14. This user likes Trevor0333's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-16-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Worley has had more success than Diamond. I think people forget that he has had only one bad season following minor surgery after throwing 260 good innings of baseball. This is not a cut that you make over 4 months before opening day especially when you have a roster with Colabello, Mastro, Fryer, Escobar, Albers, Johnson and a couple of other marginal options.

Are you suggesting that Swarzak can only be a long man? If he's actually good then you can promote him to a more important role.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 41 Posts
    Seems like a fair consensus is developing around Colabello. Count me in.

Albers has the makings to become a Jamie Moyer Jr., I'm telling ya.
    If not that- and if Rick Anderson still has Jesse Orosco's number- he could be a great LOOGY.

Btw, if we wind up with Suzuki, then the whole Doumit/Freyer silliness is moot.
    Plus, if we sign him, then having a native Hawaiian on the team puts the Twins into a whole new realm of trivia. Bonus!
    F5, then post.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    There doesn't seem to be room for Colabello, though if it is assumed Willingham and Plouffe remain starters and Doumit is the main DH, Colabello really would be the only RH bench bat. Parmelee being left handed makes less sense roster wise, but still may hold a twinkle of potential.

If they were going to axe a pitcher, it should be Johnson or Albers. Worley and Diamond could be candidates, but they may still be able to be moved once more of the free agent pitchers sign and some teams are still left thinking about outside the box options.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
    Hernandez, collaberro, fryer all wouldn't be missed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 168 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Hernandez, collaberro, fryer all wouldn't be missed.
    Hernandez is already gone, my friend. And indeed not missed.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    I was under the impression Fryer can't be cut because he was just added? Which is the problem with a couple of recent adds that shouldn't be there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12