Thread: Rotation Leans Right

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rotation Leans Right

All four of this year and last year's free-agent starters are righthanders: Hughes, Nolasco, Pelfrey and Correia. Except for Scott Diamond and Andrew Albers, all of the other potential starters throw right-handed: Worley, Deduno, Meyer, Gibson
    . . . There is a great likelihood of an all right-handed rotation for the next two years the way things look now. It's better than a bad rotation, but I'd like to have some lefties.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This rotation leans right more than AM 1280.

3. This user likes strumdatjag's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-16-2013)

I'm actually perfectly fine with an entire rotation full of RHP.

Let me break this down for you:

As a generalization, Target Field has been a little harder on Left-handed hitters, correct? We have talked about every LHB power disappearing at TF sans Thome. We have come to the conclusion, it is better to be a RH batter if you are going to try and pull homeruns out of TF (See Josh Willingham).

So if RHB seem to have more pop at TF, doesn't it make sense to have RHP help combat that? (generally speaking, RHB struggle more against RHP than they do LHP)

Having all RHP, will cause opposing managers to:
    A) If they are employing a platoon, use the LHB, which may be less successful putting the ball out of the park.
    B) Force managers to have lots of R-R match-ups, which should decrease overall success of opposing offenses and keep homerun numbers allowed by our staff down at home.

Anyone on the same wavelength with me here?

5. These 2 users like twinscowboysbulls's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

amjgt (12-16-2013), Willihammer (12-16-2013)

PS it isn't changing anytime soon.

Worley and Deduno are more likely to be in Opening Day rotation than Diamond or Albers are. Also, The pitching prospects we have that are near the bigs, are RHP as well. (Meyer, May)

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good points, twinscowboysbulls.

I'm also just not sure how big a deal it is to have a rotation without lefties--how often is that really a factor, and you're picking your starter because of the arm they throw with? In the play-offs it maybe comes into play if you have similar-ability pitchers with a handedness difference, but that's not likely a factor for the 2014 Twins.

8. This user likes Wookiee of the Year's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (12-16-2013)

Member Single-A
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Three out of six or seven relievers are LHP's.

Given the nature of rotations, how often would the manager be able to schedule his LHP starters for teams with predominately LHB lineups?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    Well Terry is related to Paul Ryan!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
    Three out of six or seven relievers are LHP's.

Given the nature of rotations, how often would the manager be able to schedule his LHP starters for teams with predominately LHB lineups?
    Exactly. The only times would be at beginning of season, after All-Star break and at beginning of Post-Season. Also occasionally after an off-day, if you were to skip your fifth man, but how often would that actually work out that way?

Overall, it seems there is a benefit, even if it is small, to having good RHP over LHP at TF, but at this point who cares which arm they throw with, just get good pitching.

Also, the 3 good LHP in the pen will serve you better than making sure you have a Lefty in the rotation.

might want to play a right fielder that can, well, field.

13. This user likes rukavina's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

bholmgren (12-16-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    I have no doubt left-handed starting pitchers are on the to do list, and he did end up with Kris Johnson and his options in the Morneau trade. It doesn't appear there will be one where we draft, but we have several borderline prospects in the high minors. I think Ryan will make some small deals or pick ups.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    All righties does not bother me if their splits are decent. If you have a righty an opponent can load their lineup with lefties and do well, that could be an issue.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Whoa, whoa whoa. It was only a month ago that Ryan said Duensing was a possiblity to start! Surely he's leading the pack heading down to Ft. Myers.

17. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Ultima Ratio (12-17-2013)