Thread: Jairo Perez

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jairo Perez

Every year before the season starts, all of us who follow prospects have our list of players that we plan to watch. However, there are usually a couple players who aren't really on anyone's radar but start turning some heads by putting up great numbers. Last year Jairo Perez was one of those players. I didn't know anything about him until he joined the Snappers and started raking.

Jairo Perez was signed as an international free agent in 2006. From Venezuela, he was 18 when he signed with the Twins. He didn't get much playing time until 2008. He hit very will for the DSL Twins batting .338 with 4 HR's and .962 OPS. The following year he came to the US and joined the GCL Twins. In 120 at bats he hit just .217 with a HR and a Triple. Things got worse for him as he missed the whole 2010 season due to Tommy John surgery. Not something you usually hear about with position players. I'm guessing he must have pitched a lot as a youth in his home country.

He started 2011 in extended spring training. In June he joined the Beloit Snappers and took off. He finished the season with a .337 batting average with 15 HR's and 20 doubles. Not to mention a whopping .992 OPS.

He is currently playing for the Fort Myers Miracle. Batting .240 with a HR and 6 doubles.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully Jairo can get the average up even though the Florida State League is notoriously a pitchers league. He did hit his 2nd HR of the seaon tonight though.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perez' batting average is currently at .225. Unfortunately for the Miracle, this is right on par with the team as a whole. They have been awfull offensively to this point. The teams best hitter(oswaldo arcia) is sporting a .277 average with a .785 OPS. I know its supposed to be a pitchers league but come on! I know this is supposed to be strictly about Perez but I couldn't help it. This Fort Myers team should be better.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To date Perez is batting .245 with 3 HR's and 13 doubles. He has not shown the power he showed last year. Good news is he isn't striking out a whole lot. Just 20 K's in 151 AB's. Hopefully he can put up slightly better numbers and eventually get promoted to New Brtitain. I have a feeling he may hit better there.

Florida State Lg is notoriously a pitchers league, but its hard to gauge a player & tell if its the lg or the competition.
    Perez has been consistently average this yr, but has shown flashes. 13-33 over last 9 gms (.393) w/3hr 9rbi---.274BAve w/.402slgg since May 1 in 44gms with 4hr 23rbi
    Do people think its the league/parks that has slowed him or was last yr just a mirage??
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 07-04-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Perez signed with Wichita in the American Association.

never heard any rumours/story of what happenned??

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting that no other organization picked up him. Maybe he wanted to go?

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he's no longer with Twins, go ahead and axe this thread if you want Seth.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Righty - I think we keep the thread, but you are welcome to adopt another prospect.

green - I know what happened, and I can't share that publicly, but let's just say that it was definitely worthy of him being released for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Righty - I think we keep the thread, but you are welcome to adopt another prospect.

green - I know what happened, and I can't share that publicly, but let's just say that it was definitely worthy of him being released for it.
    good enough.....can you say if it was a ongoin thing or a one outburst type of event???

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Way to get us all curious Seth

But yeah, if its none of my business I can respect that.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    That makes sense. At first, I thought it may have been because of his age because his stats were acceptable.