Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deduno

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he's healthy, he should be in the rotation. Is anybody honestly arguing against that? Mostly I see skepticism that he'll be healthy, not anyone tossing him aside as not good enough.

I've never really watched Hughes or Nolasco, but based on their career numbers my expectation is they'll be pretty average. If you offered up a choice of those two, Correia, Pelfrey, or a healthy Deduno to watch, I'd bet almost everyone would pick Deduno, he's entertaining to watch. Worley, Diamond, and Gibson, too, I'd pick Deduno. Albers is fun when he's on, and I think Meyer will be a treat in the near future, but for now Deduno is the one I'd choose to watch pitching if I had a choice. Does that mean he's going to be good, though? I have no idea.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    Frankly, I don't know his injury history prior to coming up to the Twins
    Anybody know this? Looking at pre-2012 numbers, it appears Deduno's 2010 was affected by injury. Otherwise, he appeared healthy if not particularly durable (although it's hard to judge by minor league numbers -- shorter seasons, generally reduced workloads).

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Imagine if Deduno could add a knuckleball to his offerings. Where the hell would that ball go!?

I think Deduno and Worley make the team as #5/LR either way. Gibson starts in AAA, which I think his okay in order to get some confidence back after a horrible MLB call up.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Anybody know this? Looking at pre-2012 numbers, it appears Deduno's 2010 was affected by injury. Otherwise, he appeared healthy if not particularly durable (although it's hard to judge by minor league numbers -- shorter seasons, generally reduced workloads).
    Healthy? Here:

Had Right Rotator Cuff and Labrum surgery August of 2013
    Missed part of 2013 (ST and 5 days) with Groin injury
    Missed 45 days of 2012 with Right Elbow injury
    Missed 18 days of 2011 with Groin injury
    Missed 111 days of 2010 with Right Elbow injury (inflammation)
    Missed 22 days of 2009 with hip flexor injury
    Missed all of 2008 with Tommy John Surgery recovery
    Missed 45 days of 2005 with Right Shoulder injury
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect some of the hesitancy about Deduno is that he is (potentially) a late bloomer. It does seem to me sometimes that late bloomers are treated with a fair amount of skepticism, for whatever reason, and perhaps an overall analysis would justify that bias, but we all know that sometimes it does come together for some later in their career rather than earlier (and we all know that early success in MiLB doesn't always translate into MLB success).

For myself, I ended the season believing that two pitchers had earned the right to be considered rotation starters next year, based on 2013 performances - Kevin Correia and Samuel Deduno. Add our new signings (Nolasco, Hughes, Pelfrey) and I think we have the initial depth chart for the rotation (put them in whatever order you like). I believe it is incumbent on all of the rest (Worley, Gibson, Meyer, Mays, etc) to force their way into that depth chart by their performances in spring training or in Rochester. They may very well do so (particularly Meyer), but for me Deduno starts camp with a rotation spot.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoPilgrim View Post
    I suspect some of the hesitancy about Deduno is that he is (potentially) a late bloomer. It does seem to me sometimes that late bloomers are treated with a fair amount of skepticism, for whatever reason, and perhaps an overall analysis would justify that bias, but we all know that sometimes it does come together for some later in their career rather than earlier (and we all know that early success in MiLB doesn't always translate into MLB success).
    Late bloomer? See above. He was injured every of the last 7 seasons, losing major time and having 2 major surgeries. He never bloomed. Just flashes....
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Missed all of 2008 with Tommy John Surgery recovery
    Whoa, missed that at Baseball Reference. There just wasn't a line for 2008 so I didn't notice the missed season!

Very cool that Baseball Prospectus has the detailed injury info, even for minor leaguers!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer amjgt's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    I think of Deduno and his injury history like I thought of Jordy Nelson when I drafted him on my fantasy football team this year. Jordy had had some injury problems the last few years, but when he played, his per game fantasy numbers were near the top of the league. He went in the 5th round because of those injuries, but I was happy to take his 15pt/game when healthy and was prepared to slot in my 4th WR if those injuries came, which they never did this year (although Rodgers' injury felt like a Nelson injury).

Deduno, when healthy, will be our 4th or 5th starter (like Jordy was my 3rd WR) and he may well play above that level, until his next injury comes. When that injury comes, the Twins will just go the their heap of AAAA starters (4th WR), play some matchups, and ride that guy until Deduno comes back.

This way of thinking doesn't work when we are talking about a #1 or #2 starter, like it doesn't work with a RB in the fantasy football example, because the drop to your replacement level guy is too great for it to be worth the risk.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    So, any thoughts on if Deduno H/9 rate is sustainable, given his BB/9 and K/9 rates last year? Among qualifiers, his SO/BB ratio would have been second to last in MLB -- only Jeff Locke of Pittsburgh was lower, and I think his season was pretty flukey too (and at least his raw K/9 rate was higher).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123