Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins in on Mark Reynolds

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking for a lefty masher, sign Jeff Baker instead. Baker is better than Reynolds at hitting lefties.

He can play the corner outfield, corner infield and second base which gives them positional flexibility off the bench. It would also allow them to move Willingham to DH against lefties.
    Last edited by JP3700; 12-18-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reynolds is only a possibility because of saber metrics being used now. What a strikeout machine.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    DH would likely be a platoon more or less one way or another this year. I get having the same 9 guys 8 guys behind the pitcher each day, but DH just seems like a no brainer for a platoon.
    Having a committee DH,which is where it looks like the Twins are headed, is different that platooning.

A platoon at DH, ie taking up two players for a spot there, is a great way to end up with an incredibly inflexible bench. It would leave the Twins with two spots (assuming 4 bench spots and one a catcher), essentially one iF and one OF.

This team is flush with only bat guys who have, so Reynolds make no sense. They need to upgrade hitters that will also play in the field.

4. This user likes Alex's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-18-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 352 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Having a committee DH,which is where it looks like the Twins are headed, is different that platooning.

A platoon at DH, ie taking up two players for a spot there, is a great way to end up with an incredibly inflexible bench. It would leave the Twins with two spots (assuming 4 bench spots and one a catcher), essentially one iF and one OF.

This team is flush with only bat guys who have, so Reynolds make no sense. They need to upgrade hitters that will also play in the field.
    Sign Stephen Drew. Trade Doumit for whatever. Sign Reynolds. Sign Suzuki.

Position players:
    RF- Arica
    CF- Hicks or Pressley
    LF- Willingham
    3B- Plouffe
    SS- Drew
    2B- Dozier
    1B- Mauer
    C- Pinto
    DH- Kubel (Can also provide depth at LF/RF if need be)

Bench:
    1.*Pressley or Mastroanni (If hicks wins CF job) either guy would be fine as a 4th OF
    2. Florimon- Perfectly fine as the only MI utility guy, can handle 3rd if need be as well.
    3. Suzuki/Back up C
    4. Reynolds- DH Platoon/Bench Bat/Can give Mauer/Plouffe a day off at 3rd

And you still have enough room for 12 pitchers at the beginning of the season (thus allowing you to stash one or two of Worley/Diamond/DeDuno without exposing to waivers.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 473 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a fan of Drew. I'd save the money (and draft choice) spent on Drew and go with Michael Young instead of Reynolds. I also don't see why Florimon would figure as a utility guy. I like Escobar in that role and think that he has a chance to get regular at-bats if someone falters.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Puts Willingham back in the OF for sure.....not sure that is a good idea, frankly. But I would have to think about it more.....because I am not sure I hate the idea either.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 431 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Willingham/Doumit/Parmelee/Colabello belong at the OF as much as Kubel does. Cannot have any of them out there esp. when you have fly ball pitchers. Arcia is in that category as well, but he is young so he can learn and will be better if the manager plays him in the correct position (RF).

So basically as is you got 5 DHs for 1 or 2 bench spots. I'd rather see some of them go.

Instead of Reynolds I want to see the Twins get Eric Chavez who will push Plouffe to the OF where he belongs and is (when he played) better that the aforementioned; he can also spell Mauer out at 1B. When Sano is ready, Chavez can start against tough RHPs and be part of the DH/PD rotation. Or even just move Plouffe at the OF when Sano is ready and start with Presley at LF. I can live with a Plouffe-Hicks-Arcia (L-R) OF with Presley as a late inning defensive replacement. The last thing this team needs is another DH.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

9. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-18-2013)

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parmelee was a nice defensive outfielder. Good Arm... He plays the RF wall better than anyone and he has surprising range.

He is multiple steps above Arcia... Doumit... Willingham and Colabello defensively.

To group or imply that Parmelee is a DH type (especially with his struggles at the plate) in consideration of his defense... is severe mis-casting.

Kinda of like putting Buddy Hackett in the lead of 50 shades of Grey.

As for Reynolds... I want competition for Plouffe... So OK... However... With the team strikeout totals in 2013. Adding Reynolds and his strikeout totals isn't my first choice.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-18-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Sign Stephen Drew. Trade Doumit for whatever. Sign Reynolds. Sign Suzuki.

Position players:
    RF- Arica
    CF- Hicks or Pressley
    LF- Willingham
    3B- Plouffe
    SS- Drew
    2B- Dozier
    1B- Mauer
    C- Pinto
    DH- Kubel (Can also provide depth at LF/RF if need be)

Bench:
    1.*Pressley or Mastroanni (If hicks wins CF job) either guy would be fine as a 4th OF
    2. Florimon- Perfectly fine as the only MI utility guy, can handle 3rd if need be as well.
    3. Suzuki/Back up C
    4. Reynolds- DH Platoon/Bench Bat/Can give Mauer/Plouffe a day off at 3rd

And you still have enough room for 12 pitchers at the beginning of the season (thus allowing you to stash one or two of Worley/Diamond/DeDuno without exposing to waivers.
    It's more palatable if they trade or release Doumit, but Thrylos sums up the current situation nicely. Willingham should probably be a full time DH, Pinto might also be more of a DH than C, but I think he needs to get a chance to work that out. So, I also think that signing a more versatile OF that pushes Willingham to DH and backup OF (and Doumit out) is the better way to go than to sign a guy who would only be used as a DH against LHP and can't really field.

Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    Reynolds is only a possibility because of saber metrics being used now. What a strikeout machine.
    Maybe, maybe not. I think there are places he could be valuable and a decent signing, but I don't think he's "only a possibility" because of sabermetrics. I mean, he's a 5 WAR player over 7 seasons (BR, 8 by Fangraphs), so not sure anyone would argue he sabermetric friendly.

On the other hand, he's going to be thirty and it's likely his bat speed is dropping, leading to more Ks and fewer HRs. We'll see. Either way he's not a fit for the Twins as they stand right now.

Liked 49 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if the Twins would consider trading for Ichiro and cash to help pay his contract. I only say that since they were looking for a speedy OF.

I'll go with that, Sign Michael Young, and sign Drew, and Reynolds after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Willingham/Doumit/Parmelee/Colabello belong at the OF as much as Kubel does. Cannot have any of them out there esp. when you have fly ball pitchers. Arcia is in that category as well, but he is young so he can learn and will be better if the manager plays him in the correct position (RF).

So basically as is you got 5 DHs for 1 or 2 bench spots. I'd rather see some of them go.

Instead of Reynolds I want to see the Twins get Eric Chavez who will push Plouffe to the OF where he belongs and is (when he played) better that the aforementioned; he can also spell Mauer out at 1B. When Sano is ready, Chavez can start against tough RHPs and be part of the DH/PD rotation. Or even just move Plouffe at the OF when Sano is ready and start with Presley at LF. I can live with a Plouffe-Hicks-Arcia (L-R) OF with Presley as a late inning defensive replacement. The last thing this team needs is another DH.
    Chavez can't stay healthy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I wonder if the Twins would consider trading for Ichiro and cash to help pay his contract. I only say that since they were looking for a speedy OF.

I'll go with that, Sign Michael Young, and sign Drew, and Reynolds after that.
    Young is a terrible defender at this point as well, and I think he is going to still demand a starting role no matter where he signs. The Twins can't provide that IMO unless you want to keep Sano down all year, or give him the DH spot.

Again, Reynolds has plenty of warts, but will be a lot cheaper and a lot more willing to accept a part time role then a guy like Michael Young.

Chavez frankly is intriguing, but wayyyyy to injury prone.

I can't see an Ichiro trade happening, I don't think he would be willing to play in Minnesota.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12