Thread: MLB's Jonathan Mayo: Twins had Top 2013 Draft Class

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries

MLB's Jonathan Mayo: Twins had Top 2013 Draft Class

He did concede that it would be easy to pick the Pirates, who had 2 picks in the top 14 choices.

He thinks Ryan Eades could surprise, had great stuff for a top college team (LSU), but didn't quite produce.

Stewart Turner, could be a great defensive catcher. Read elsewhere, he's one of the best receivers in MiLB, for all you pitch framing lovers.

The guy I think could be special was also mentioned by Mayo, Brian Navaretto. a 6'4" 220 lb high school catcher with a big arm (1.80 pop time) and big power. Might take some time as he's pretty raw kid from Puerto Rico.

Stephen Gonsalves, is a raw 6'5" left hander...shows some potential for plus offerings in his curve and change, although, he threw his fastball 86% of the time his SR year.

I really liked Brian Gilbert and look for him to be a big move this year, possibly ending up at AA New Britain.

Here's a rundown/recap of the top of 2013 Draft in case you needed a refresher.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_min&c_id=min

Mayo's Article here:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/min/...&vkey=news_min

Also note that Jim Callis says...

"...Kohl Stewart, may have a higher ceiling than any 2013 draftee -- no team can match the Pirates. They got a pair of potential All-Stars at up-the-middle positions, and plenty of depth beyond them."
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 12-17-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Good link, thanks.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Eades was the 2011 Cape Cod Pitcher of the Year who ended up the #2 starter at LSU his sophomore and junior years behind 2 different first round picks. Not much to be unhappy about.

Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
    My optimism is starting to feel more rational.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 86 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Despite this past draft being labeled as a down year, I think the Twins did quite well, and not just with Stewart, who might have unlimited potential if healthy, as always, and is willing to put n the work necessary.

Gonsalves is the real steal and possible dark horse for me. Eades reminds me of a young Radke for some reason. I find Slegers from Indiana t be very intriguing as well. And a couple of very good catching options. One who could fast track, especially if his bat keeps up, and one who is young, raw, but even more talented.

Don't get too wrapped up in first year, half season numbers in rookie ball. These young men aren't drafted because the Twins expect all star numbers and half season champions. They are drafted for potential and talent. This year will be much more telling for them all.

6. This user likes DocBauer's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (12-17-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Seems like an excersize in futility to be honest. Stewart is the only one that it makes sense to sort of talk about his future, and even he is ridiculously far away.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Stewart and Gonsalves are great picks. Beyond that, I am surprised that this draft is getting such acclaim.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Stewart and Gonsalves are great picks. Beyond that, I am surprised that this draft is getting such acclaim.
    Especially, as Mayo says, this was this year's draft, not one back down memory lane a while.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we got a #1 (Stewart) and #4 (Eades) and #2/3 (Gonsalves) starting pitcher and a back up catcher (Turner) from the draft, that's a great draft. If someone else pans out even better.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    If we got a #1 (Stewart) and #4 (Eades) and #2/3 (Gonsalves) starting pitcher and a back up catcher (Turner) from the draft, that's a great draft. If someone else pans out even better.
    If that happened it would be the greatest draft by far in team history, and an argument could be made for one of the top 2 or 3 overall in the last 30 years.

If you can get one star (#1) and one average player I would consider it an amazing draft.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I felt like Twins did well in the draft. I was tempering my expectations though as I think we do well most years only to find out later that we didn't do that well. Also what the experts typically say doesn't mean much this early. I remember the Vikings getting accolades for an A draft and Troy Williamson was a bust Erasmus James was injured and ineffective. So the potential did not meet reality.

That being said baseball is different and it seems the experts are getting better at recognizing talent. I feel real good about the Twins first six picks and if they do work out that sets us up pretty good for the future.