Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Trade Doumit to Braves

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    At the very least, Gilmartin has solid bullpen potential.

Lefties against Gilmartin the past two seasons:
    2013 - .219/.252/.383
    2012 - .185/.217/.289

Even in 2013 when he was terrible overall and supposedly injured, he shut down lefties.

2. These 3 users like markos's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (12-18-2013), glunn (12-19-2013), Kwak (12-18-2013)

The plot thickens about catcher for next year.

Seems like they have to find a veteran and am wondering now if it will go beyond the free agent market to a possible trade to get a reliable back up, who could take on the regular catching duties if Pinto is not able to carry the load. Not sure John Buck fits the bill anymore.

4. This user likes MileHighTwinsFan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I like this move from Atlanta side, they identified a prospect who had no real value for them and found a taker, a year early from having to be protected....As for the Twins side they cleared up some 40 man space, and brought payroll back down to 2013 level, but they got a poor mans diamond in this soft tossing controll pitcher, topping out at 89 mph and working mostly in the 87-88 mph range .So basically we gave away an asset for nothing

6. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    An AAAA pitcher, roster spot, and $3.5M off the books. Solid trade.
    How is he a AAAA pitcher? He was rushed by the Braves and with a little time he could be a back end of the rotation guy or a solid lefty in the pen. I will agree with the solid trade part for sure.

8. This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But when he's on, he's 89-92 with the fastball, slider between 79-81 and a good change up. He was hurt some in 2013, so he could turn it around... Looks like the Braves moved him up too quickly.

10. This user likes Seth Stohs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Any negativity on this is confusing. Out- 3.5 million dollars, redundancy at C/OF/DH, and a player who will not play any part in the future. In- a young LHP with at least a possibility of an upside.

Also, I believe this moves the 40-man to 39.

This is nothing but good.

12. This user likes Steve Penz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doumit? Great trade!

(Who'd we get?)

14. These 5 users like ashburyjohn's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

DAM DC Twins Fans (12-19-2013), glunn (12-19-2013), mike wants wins (12-18-2013), Steve Penz (12-18-2013), USAFChief (12-18-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    HUGE thumbs up for this.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    Good deal. We have enough DH types and Doumit really doesn't have a position he can even play ok in.
    Not really sure what the Braves are thinking doing this.

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins fans everywhere should be rejoicing.

Calling this a salary dump blatantly ignores so many other benefits. Gilmartin might not be the next David Price, but he was highly regarded not long ago at all -- that's a great get for a guy that was extremely marginal, redundant and cluttering roster space.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Who cares? Doumit was worth zero (probably held negative value, actually) on the field......and cost money. Now he costs less money, and he's not clogging up space for others. I don't see any downside here at all. Even if they pay 100% of his salary, he's gone, and they get a pitcher (who may be awful, or may not). This makes it easier for Willingham to be the full time DH, imo. It frees a roster spot for them to make a trade, or sign a FA.

While I don't love every move TR makes, he is good at these small deals, imo.
    Willingham needs to play LF to have more value in a trade.

I figured there was a good chance that Doumit would just be cut after spring training and they'd have to eat his salary so I love this move for the Twins regardless of the return.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    seem alright to me.

Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really like this deal. Gilmartin is young and has potential to have some kind of MLB impact. It also frees up a 40 man spot while cleaning up the active roster.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great deal. Acquire a young arm, clears a 40 man spot and saves cash. Nothing to complain about.

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I'm on board with the idea that its a positive move ditching one of the many corner outfield / DH types and their salary, regardless what the return is. I'm more pumped for that than the return itself. Seriously, between Doumit, Willingham, Collabello, Parm, Arcia, Kubel?.. and Plouffe though he has the saving grace as being considered an 'infielder'....something had to give. Gilmartin could be useful to us somehow on top of things. Solid trade I would say.

24. This user likes edavis0308's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Exactly what everyone else is saying. I see no negatives with this move.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Kubel having confidence he would make the Twins roster makes sense now. im sure he was told he would be on the roster after they made some trades. I'm sure he helped them by taking the minor league deal and staying off the 40 man. I wonder if Gilmartin being a stud against lefties will make it easier to trade Duensing and save more payroll for other players.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Traded a redundant player cluttering up the MLB roster for a redundant player most likely to only clutter up the AAA roster, and cleared salary and a needed roster spot in the process. If Gilmartin never throws a pitch in the majors I'm fine with this trade. I like the notion posited above by markos as well, he would appear to have LOOGY potential on the low end, something which has a little bit of value.

28. These 2 users like ericchri's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

kab21 (12-18-2013), Kwak (12-18-2013)

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Gilmartin was #14 in John Sickels' top 20 and in the rankings the site I write for put together.
    If you would have told me this morning that the Twins could trade away Ryan Doumit AND his full salary (apparently, even the idea of that is enough for some people to be negative about it) for ANY top 15 prospect from ANY system (particularly with a non-roster guy)...
    I would have laughed at you and said 'no way'.

This makes so much sense in so many ways.

30. These 3 users like jay's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013), howieramone (12-18-2013), TheLeviathan (12-18-2013)

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast