Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Trade Doumit to Braves

I can't help but ask what the Braves know about Gilmarten that they are willing to dump him off for only Ryan Doumit?

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Ibarra for Butera .
    We got Sulbaran, iirc.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    While Gilmarten isn't the hot prospect he once was this is a freaking great return for Doumit. Ibarra for Butera now Gilmarten for Doumit. TR's track record in nabbing prospects for mediocre vets is top notch.
    Wasn't Miguel Sulbaran acquired for Butera?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WHHHAAAAAAAAAT?

Wow, I didn't see this one coming at all. Nice move by Ryan. Gilmartin is nothing special but that's not a bad haul for offloading Doumit after a pretty bad season.

5. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
    Twins have been after Gilmartin for awhile they were even linked to him in the draft if I remember. Lefty that doesn't throw real hard with excellent control. Decent return for Doumit to get a close to mlb ready starter.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

7. This user likes zchrz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    Nice buy low, struggled with command and injuries this past year. Good get for a guy that is kind of redundant as a DH/bad defensive OF and not a part of the future. Would've liked to see him stick as our backup this year but really not concerned with that position on a likely non-contender.

He was the Brave #5 prospect and a guy who dang near made it to the majors his first year in pro ball. He spent last year in AAA and had a bad year. I like the buy low move here.

Let's go get
    Preseason, he may have been #5, but he never was a serious consideration for the majors in his first season of pro ball or even his second season.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    I'm not sure you guys have a grip on how bad Gilmartin has become. Think Alex Wimmers from the left side.
    Sure, but if the Braves just traded Doumit and his contract back to the Twins for Wimmers, you'd certainly be hyped the Braves obtained a buy low former first rounder, no matter how remote that ceiling is or how distant that prospect status in the past.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 12-18-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Depends. Dave O'Brien, the Braves beat writer, responded to someone asking about money involved, and he said there is some, but it's not clear yet.
    Who cares? Doumit was worth zero (probably held negative value, actually) on the field......and cost money. Now he costs less money, and he's not clogging up space for others. I don't see any downside here at all. Even if they pay 100% of his salary, he's gone, and they get a pitcher (who may be awful, or may not). This makes it easier for Willingham to be the full time DH, imo. It frees a roster spot for them to make a trade, or sign a FA.

While I don't love every move TR makes, he is good at these small deals, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

11. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (12-18-2013)

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/sean-...innett-braves/

Interesting little piece on Gilmartin.

To be effective at the major-league level, Gilmartin’s control and command will have to be at their absolute best.

Hard to know if he can be effective in the mlb but Doumit was rapidly becoming the "odd man out" for the Twins -- especially if they are close to signing another catcher.

And the Twins do love those "command and control" artists.

13. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pius Jefferson View Post
    I can't help but ask what the Braves know about Gilmarten that they are willing to dump him off for only Ryan Doumit?
    Should say something when beat guys are saying good trade to move him for Doumit and cash (though the amount is still not clear).
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Sorry, I was thinking more along the lines of signing Suzuki or Buck. (I didn't make that clear).
    Doumit already said he wouldn't catch this year regardless, right?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Does this amp up the search for a catcher now? How soon will they sign a John Buck or Kurt Suzuki?

17. This user likes zenser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 124 Times in 57 Posts
    I haven't looked at his stats since being drafted but it's funny because Gilmartin was my prediction (along with many others) to be the Twins draft choice prior to the 2011 draft.

And now looking at his stats it's obvious he fits everything that the Twins look for in a pitcher.

More hits than IP? Check.

Few BB? Check.

Mediocre K rate? Check.

Fastball velocity under 95? Check.

Why even bother? If he's anything more than Nick Blackburn (or Scott Diamond since they're both lefties and from the Braves organization) I'll be shocked.

I realize Doumit has no value but he is a carbon copy of 99 percent of the pitchers in this organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    One of the best things about this to me is that being drafted in 2011, Gilmartin shouldn't require a 40 man spot. I'm not big on soft-tossing lefties, but I'm just fine getting rid of the Twins expendable players in exchange for guys who are only one year removed from positive endorsements.

20. These 2 users like nicksaviking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013), mike wants wins (12-18-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
    I'm glad to offload Doumit, but this Gilmartin guy looks like AAA filler, another Pedro Hernandez at best. My opinion of the trade - "Meh".

22. This user likes Boom Boom's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I'm not sure you guys have a grip on how bad Gilmartin has become. Think Alex Wimmers from the left side.
    Really? That doesn't make any sense. The only thing they have in common is they were 1st round picks expected to fast track to the majors. Wimmers has 77 career minor league innings over just over 3 years. Gilmartin has 285 over just over 2 years. Now he's not someone to get overly excited about but at least has potential to be a big league starter still. Was the Braves top 5 guy a year ago. I'm not gonna let one bad year for a 23 year old make me think he's worthless. Better return than I would have ever expected for Doumit.

24. These 2 users like halfchest's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013), Oldgoat_MN (12-19-2013)

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 8m Confirmed: #Braves taking all of Doumit's $3.5M. This is a great move by the #MNTwins.

26. This user likes PseudoSABR's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to espn, Gilmartin isn't on the 40-man roster. This means the Twins won't have to DFA anyone to put Pelfrey on the 40-man. Gilmartin, Albers, Diamond, and Johnson all look like the same guy to me.
    Last edited by stringer bell; 12-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.

28. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

JB_Iowa (12-18-2013)

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Doumit already said he wouldn't catch this year regardless, right?
    I think it was Parker (or one of the other main TD guys) who posted something in the last day or so quoting Doumit's agent as saying he wanted to catch in 2014.

I've got to think that they are very close to signing either Suzuki or Buck. I'd think that they'd want to clear up the Doumit situation before they signed one of them. But it also doesn't escape me that Braves execs have been in the TC in the last few days touring Target Field so that may have more to do with the timing than anything.

EDIT: And GREAT POINT stringerbell about clearing space for Pelfrey.
    Last edited by JB_Iowa; 12-18-2013 at 02:20 PM.

30. This user likes JB_Iowa's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-19-2013)

Have to think maybe Albers and even Diamond are on sketchy ground, after the Twins acquired a non-roster clone...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast