Manuel Soliman

Name: Manuel Soliman
    Position: RHP
    Birthdate:8/11/89
    Handedness: Right
    Height:6'2
    Signed: 2007
    Home: Dominican Republic

Soliman was originally signed as a 3rd baseman, but was moved to pitcher after a rough few years in the early minor leagues, hitting below the Mendoza line. He has been far more effective as a pitcher, revitalizing his prospect status. Soliman has a low-90's fastball and a solid slider. His pitch types and lack of experience point towards him being a reliver, but he is currently being used as a starter. He will begin this year in Fort Myers.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    currently on DL with shoulder issue.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Soliman just tweeted:

"Surgery tomorrow everything will be OK with God"

Can't be good...

sollimon, Wimmers, Salcedo......keeps gettin better

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just heard back from Solimon... he said he's having shoulder surgery, "like Michael Pineda." The Yankees pitcher had surgery two months ago to repair a torn right labrum. Pineda had surgery in April and is expected to start throwing in September. If Soliman has surgery in June, maybe he starts throwing by November. He'll likely be brought back slowly next season.

their is a train of thought that says the TJ surgery is easier to come back from than shoulder surgery (to maintain velocity at least).
    Tho, labrum injuries... while not good... are better than rotator cuff surgeries (which you dont hear much about anymore....wonder why??)
    He's 23 in Aug and only @ Ft Myers.....so I dont know how much longer he can be considered a prospect as ....like Seth says...MN will take it slow with him next yr. Also, he is a 6 yr FA after this yr (signed March 07).
    Was hopin he coulda been a guy to really shoot thru system this yr, but they are all fallin

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Also, he is a 6 yr FA after this yr (signed March 07).
    Was hopin he coulda been a guy to really shoot thru system this yr, but they are all fallin
    The 6 year FA rule is as clear as mud... according to my calculations, Soliman isn't a Minor League FA until after the 2014 season.

Seth, weigh in please...

I did some more digging: Soliman debuted in a short-season in 2007, so he didn't accumulate his first full year until the middle of 2008. So he wouldn't have six full seasons of service until the middle of 2013, so he'll be a FA after that season. (I think...)
    Last edited by Jeremy Nygaard; 06-21-2012 at 11:35 AM.

wasnt sure myself......if it was service time of where you debut or the actual date when you sign.
    Regardless, Im sure coming off surgery that he would resign to be aroung a team that knows you BUT after next season rehab yr....what does the organization do then??? Torn Labrums can be rehabbed for sure.....or it can be a velocity killer.